Savi's Workshop Recent Experiences

Yeah, the TSA doesn't mind these things, especially at SNA or MCO. The folks in Orlando see countless Disney merch going through - a Disney shopping bag is the officail luggage of MCO! šŸ¤£ I once had an elaborate Trader Sam's Tiki Mug that an agent flagged to examine. Another agent apologised to me and said she was newly transferred there and that they wouldn't have flagged it. Once it is called for though, they have to do it. It was fine, just a bit of a pain to have it all openedup from the styrofoam. Generally, they are good about that stuff though.

In fact, the TSA has a page about lightsabers specifically:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/light-saber

View attachment 787237

šŸ¤£
just a heads upā€¦they can still deny it as a carryon. Not likely to happen at SNA, LAX, or MCO but we had someone in our Starcruiser group get denied it as a carryon.

The TSA officer was shown this page. Please note that at the bottom of the page it states the final decision is still up to the officer.
1692723021988.png

just a heads upā€¦they can still deny it as a carryon. Not likely to happen at SNA, LAX, or MCO but we had someone in our Starcruiser group get denied it as a carryon.

The TSA officer was shown this page. Please note that at the bottom of the page it states the final decision is still up to the officer.
View attachment 787261

Yes, that note is true for pretty much everything. They once hassled me about a pair of ice skates, which the website clearly states are allowed. Still, once the officer makes the decision, they stick with that.

Yes, that note is true for pretty much everything. They once hassled me about a pair of ice skates, which the website clearly states are allowed. Still, once the officer makes the decision, they stick with that.
Yes luckily the person was able to hand it off to the person who dropped her off since it was too late for her to check her bag.

So definitely give yourself enough time for security and if you have to check a bag. Each airline has a different cutoff but most want bags checked an hour before.

Our 2 teen boys did Savi's a few days ago (Saturday, Aug. 19). Fantastic experience! We booked it for 9:05 at night. There were only 2 other builders for a total of 4.

Last edited:
Yeah, the TSA doesn't mind these things, especially at SNA or MCO. The folks in Orlando see countless Disney merch going through - a Disney shopping bag is the officail luggage of MCO! šŸ¤£ I once had an elaborate Trader Sam's Tiki Mug that an agent flagged to examine. Another agent apologised to me and said she was newly transferred there and that they wouldn't have flagged it. Once it is called for though, they have to do it. It was fine, just a bit of a pain to have it all openedup from the styrofoam. Generally, they are good about that stuff though.

In fact, the TSA has a page about lightsabers specifically:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/light-saber

View attachment 787237

šŸ¤£
On our last trip I was worried about bringing home the Coke, 7-Up thermal detonators from Star Wars in my carry on. I was wondering if it was going to get flagged but realized the TSA agents at SNA have seen them a million times before.

I hear ya greg9x. Those life moments can definitely bring things into perspective and are very relatable to me. Sounds like I missed out on a great experience. Adding this to the "to do list" on our next visit.
Same - at first I balked at spending that money but then realized my guy is worth it

On our last trip I was worried about bringing home the Coke, 7-Up thermal detonators from Star Wars in my carry on. I was wondering if it was going to get flagged but realized the TSA agents at SNA have seen them a million times before.
I don't know whether you know this, but there was quite a dust-up about those plastic soda bottles when Galaxy's Edge first opened. They did indeed run afoul of TSA's rules because they looked like grenades, so some agents refused them. (I'm talking empty bottles here; full ones would of course break the rule about liquids.)

I was a little surprised that no one at Coke or Disney had seen the problem coming and talked with TSA before GE opened, but they hadn't. It finally got sorted out:

https://www.tsa.gov/news/press/stat...nt-star-wars-galaxys-edge-themed-soda-bottles

Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 8.42.29 AM.png

I don't know whether you know this, but there was quite a dust-up about those plastic soda bottles when Galaxy's Edge first opened.
Yes, I did hear this. I was still a bit worried about how the TSA would handle it. All for naught

Do they charge your card before you get there or after you are done selecting all your options? We guaranteed it with a credit card - but we want to pay for it with a Disney Rewards redemption card.

Do they charge your card before you get there or after you are done selecting all your options? We guaranteed it with a credit card - but we want to pay for it with a Disney Rewards redemption card.

I just did it a week ago. You will first go to the register and select your theme. They will then charge you and you can pay with any accepted method.

I did have a good experience with it, though I felt a little rushed. The main host was great though and played the part well. The helpers were all business though, and moving pretty fast. It may help to have an idea of the parts you wish to choose becuase I was having trouble deciding on a few of them because they are so nice. The lighting ceremony part was awesome though. The saber itself looks very nice - it's the first fancy one like this I have ever had (most of my firends have several). I am pretty happy with my purchase though.

One complaint I have, and this is about SWGE in general, is that I was running late (well, like right on time after a longer than anticipated wait at MMRR). Anyway, I entered SWGE and realized that I reallly had no idea where Savi's actually is. I asked a CM who told me it was around the corner. There is no signage at all. I walked right past it. I called my buddy who was in line asying they were calling our group. I was right there. The signage is just a blue flag on the building. I get that this is so the First Order won't find the secret den of gatherers, but come on! I just found myself a little annoyed by that.

Last edited:
One complaint I ahve, and this is about SWGE in general, is that I was running late (well, like right on time after a longer than anticipated wait at MMRR). Anyway, I entered SWGE and realized that I reallly had no idea where Savi's actually is. I asked a CM who tols me it was around the corner. There is no signage at all. I walked right past it. I called my buddy who was in line asying they were calling our group. I was right there. The signage is just a blue flag on the building. I get that this is so the First Order won't find the secret den of gatherers, but come on! I just found myself a little annoyed by that.
As a local I still get lost in GE!

One complaint I ahve, and this is about SWGE in general, is that I was running late (well, like right on time after a longer than anticipated wait at MMRR). Anyway, I entered SWGE and realized that I reallly had no idea where Savi's actually is. I asked a CM who told me it was around the corner. There is no signage at all. I walked right past it. I called my buddy who was in line asying they were calling our group. I was right there. The signage is just a blue flag on the building. I get that this is so the First Order won't find the secret den of gatherers, but come on! I just found myself a little annoyed by that.
Yeah I agree completely on this. In the name of "maintaining the illusion of a real place", Disney has made the area much less enjoyable for the guests (my opinion, of course). I don't care if an imaginary First Order can't find the building, but I do care that people who paid to be in the park can't find things easily. Put a sign on the door! Also, play Star Wars music in the background (I play my own as I walk in). And open up the characters to include all movies and not just the final trilogy. One of my favorite experiences was waiting for our Savi's Workshop time and some First Order Troopers came through. I believe they are limited in what types of prerecorded statements they can speak? My adult son said the Empire is better than the First Order. After a pause, the Trooper responded: "Affirmative" We loved that. Even that First Order Troooper wants the Empire in there. :) Give us Darth Vader. The land is amazingly constructed, now open it up to be all of Star Wars and not just Batuu.

Yeah I agree completely on this. In the name of "maintaining the illusion of a real place", Disney has made the area much less enjoyable for the guests (my opinion, of course). I don't care if an imaginary First Order can't find the building, but I do care that people who paid to be in the park can't find things easily. Put a sign on the door! Also, play Star Wars music in the background (I play my own as I walk in). And open up the characters to include all movies and not just the final trilogy. One of my favorite experiences was waiting for our Savi's Workshop time and some First Order Troopers came through. I believe they are limited in what types of prerecorded statements they can speak? My adult son said the Empire is better than the First Order. After a pause, the Trooper responded: "Affirmative" We loved that. Even that First Order Troooper wants the Empire in there. :) Give us Darth Vader. The land is amazingly constructed, now open it up to be all of Star Wars and not just Batuu.

They have opened up the characters as Mando, Grogu, Boba Fett, Hera, etc. are now roaming around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter