Saving Tables....A Complaint

Should families w/out food be allowed to save tables at counter service restaurants?

• Yes, even if it means families w/ food have to eat outside or standing up.

• No, families should always be able to sit down once they have their food.

• Yes, BUT only during slow parts of the day.

Results are only viewable after voting.

DLBDS

Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk
I read a thread before my trip about saving seats at the counter service places. I had my first experience with this last week because we waited until 2:00 for lunch (against my advice). After waiting in line at the ABC Commissary for what seemed like over 1/2 hour (with 2 children), we finally got our food. During our search for an empty table we observed table after table occupied by folks without a crumb of food. Some by one person. Some by one parent and children. So when we finally saw some folks leaving a table we walked over only to find another couple standing there (WITHOUT food) waiting to grab it for themselves. My husband had a very unpleasant standoff with these folks who didn't speak English apparently. He let them have the table and we found another one across the room (cursing them the whole way). We watched these folks the entire time we were there. We settled in to eat, ate and cleaned up after ourselves and these folks were still waiting on their food (she sat at the table alone while he ordered). They weren't the only ones either. There were tons of people there that we passed with no food (when we were looking for a table) that were STILL waiting on their food after we had finished. Not one person offered to let us use their table until their food arrived. We would have been grateful had they done so and thanked them upon leaving once their food arrived. I don't mind taking my last few bites in the vertical position. I think CMs should patrol these areas during busy times and insist folks vacate a table if they don't have food so others WITH food can sit down to eat. Until that day comes, I'll continue to eat an early lunch...even if I'm not all that hungry yet.

I do not do well with people saving seats. As an example, we are fairly regular church attendees. What gets me are the people that show up once a year at Christmas, and attempt to save a whole row of seats for their family. This year I said "Thank you very much, we're here now ". And we sat down !! I will say tho, when we go to eat, we usually divide up, with 2 of us doing the ordering and 2 of us finding seats. I have given up our seats while we were waiting for food to a family that already had their meal. So I guess it goes both ways ! Boy, am I wishy washy !! Have a nice day !:thumbsup2

Why didn't you or DH go scout out a table while the other ordered food? I really don't get what is to be offended about by people splitting up their party and half of them grabbing a table and the other half ordering.:confused3

Sorry, but I disagree. I have no problem with folks saving seats for those in line for food. The last thing I want is to be standing with hot food getting cold and wondering where I'm going to eat it.

In almost every single occasion when my family is doing counterservice, we split and two of us look for a table while the other two are in line for the food. If we can't find any tables within the restaurant itself, we all troop outside and find a shady spot to eat.

Its often not feasible when you have a family with two or three small children to have everyone wait in line, or simply wait to the side until the food comes out. It makes perfect sense for one of the adults to try and get the kids settled so they are ready to eat the moment the food arrives.

I see absolutely no problem with one person finding and saving a table while someone else goes and gets the food.

Based on the original post, however, I do know I am never going to the ABC Commissary if it takes that long to order and get food at 2:00 in the afternoon (a time when I would have expected the crowd levels to be very low).

Sorry, but I disagree. I have no problem with folks saving seats for those in line for food. The last thing I want is to be standing with hot food getting cold and wondering where I'm going to eat it.

In almost every single occasion when my family is doing counterservice, we split and two of us look for a table while the other two are in line for the food. If we can't find any tables within the restaurant itself, we all troop outside and find a shady spot to eat.

Its often not feasible when you have a family with two or three small children to have everyone wait in line, or simply wait to the side until the food comes out. It makes perfect sense for one of the adults to try and get the kids settled so they are ready to eat the moment the food arrives.

I couldn't agree more. This is the way my family also does it. I have on occasion actually heard CM's tell large families to sit down rather than all stand in the line.

Why didn't you or DH go scout out a table while the other ordered food? I really don't get what is to be offended about by people splitting up their party and half of them grabbing a table and the other half ordering.:confused3

:sad2: Because it's WRONG. Folks should be able to sit down to eat their food once they have it. Period. The dining room was half full of non-eaters. It was pathetic. We did 3 circuits around the dining room before we found a table. It doesn't take long to eat a CS meal, folks. Get up off your fanny and let someone with food eat. Everyone's tired (and hot during the summer) while in the parks. Not just you. Show a little compassion for your fellow park hoppers. We did. We split up our table and chairs so a young couple could sit down and eat beside us. If you're worried you'll lose your table, by all means, stand guard over it if you must but let that family quickly eat and be on their way. If that day was any example, they'll be gone before your food arrives.

I'm sorry, but I had to check the box for saving seats is okay. I find it much more annoying for entire families to wait in line, then have a big discussion (or argument!) about what to order up at the register. I much prefer to get everyone seated, find out what they want to eat, and then go up to order. Dh and ds stay at the table, get it cleaned off (they almost always need some cleaning), get napkins, plasticware, ketchup, etc. while dd and I go up and get all the food. If it's really busy and the lines are long, I'll get in line for food while dh waits for a table. As you've learned, there's nothing worse than standing around with a tray full of food, searching in vain for a table.

Having said that, I wouldn't have a problem with CM's asking people to vacate tables if they didn't actually have food yet, as long as they also help people who do have food to find tables. One without the other is just pointless.

I don't understand why you think it's wrong?:confused3 Why should a family make their kids stand in line unnecessarily, when they could be getting a table, perhaps grabbing the napkins and condiments, and thereby speeding up the whole process? Having the whole family stand in line just adds congestion to the ordering area, and then if there are no seats your food is getting cold while you're looking around.

Im sorry, but I agree with stagemom. At a TS restaurant, you are seated while you wait for your food and no one makes you get up so someone else can dine. At McDonalds, we always sit while someone goes and gets the food and no one expects for us to get up so they can eat.
I understand that trying to eat in a crowded setting can be frustrating, but you also should realize that there are two sides to this issue. Counter service seating is first come first serve and I dont think we need the CM's to regulate this. If having a seat is important, then some planning is required.
I dont expect anyone to get up and give me a seat at a crowded restaurant because they are waiting on their food, or their spot at the parade, or their umbrella table at the pool, or their seat on the bus, or their BBQ Grill at the resort........sometimes somebody else is first and that is OK.

I think it is an unreasonable expectation on your part to expect this and sometimes the DIS puts unreasonable people together and all of a sudden they make sense.

And for those that will bring it up, this is not the same as saving pool chairs. Pool chair savers leave articles/people in chairs and then leave the pool area completely.
These families were in the Dining Area, actively purchasing food to eat in that area. Their Dining experience starts when they enter, not when they start chewing.

I have to say we do it to. Once everyone decides what they want I will get in line while DH takes the kids and finds a table. Once they are settled he will join me in line to help carry out the food (as long as we can see the kids from where we are in line). I don't see any problem with it :confused3

I agree too! (It was easier that you said it). We always do this. We both go to the counter and order the food, then while hubby waits to bring the food, I go and get the condiments, napkins and such and get a seat. How hard is that. The OP has the same options I have. It's been a long day and if I get to sit for 5 minutes longer than hubby while he's bringing up the rear with the tray that's great. No one should condemn someone because their strategy is different. Everyone does what works for them. However, if I walk into a counter service location and noticed that tables are slim to none, I'd go elsewhere. I would rather see a parent sitting at a table getting the kids calmed down and ready to eat, then see them all standing in the line. I guess the day I go to WDW and not find a seat at a CS location would be a good time to think about not going during that time again. We go 4 trips a year and have never run into a situation where there were no tables at a CS location. (Actually if we did, it would be time for a pool break.)

I have to agree with the other posters. What sense does it make to have extra people in line, clogging up the area? And if they aren't in line, but aren't sitting at a table...where would the be? Clogging up some other area and making more congestion. While it does stink if you can't get a table...everyone has the same option to send someone from their group to get a table when they get to the restaurant, so I don't see why it is wrong OR unfair. JMHO. :goodvibes

Clearly, I'm in the minority on this topic. But let me ask you this....what do you do as you look around and see folks with food struggling to find somewhere to sit down and there's table after table occupied by folks such as yourself...with no food. Do you feel sorry for them? Ignore them? Do you just not care? Or do you feel guilty because you know that you're sitting at a table that they could be using to eat their lunch? Seriously. I couldn't help but wonder what all of those people were thinking as they watched folks walk around with their trays of food in search of a vacant table. If it were me, I would give it up. I just couldn't sit there and ignore them. Clearly, their need is greater than my comfort.

While it would be very nice of people to give up their seat...it really wouldn't help things, because then THEY would be without a table when their food comes. Again, I think everyone has the same opportunity to get a table when they get there (if they so choose), except for single parents with young children, so if there is a big group wandering around without seats...I would wonder why they didn't send someone for a table sooner. :confused3

Listen to your own advice and eat lunch early. Regardless of the point at which people grab their tables you are still going to be frustrated by the lack of seating if you go during lunch rush.

:sad2: Because it's WRONG. Folks should be able to sit down to eat their food once they have it. Period. The dining room was half full of non-eaters. It was pathetic. We did 3 circuits around the dining room before we found a table. It doesn't take long to eat a CS meal, folks. Get up off your fanny and let someone with food eat. Everyone's tired (and hot during the summer) while in the parks. Not just you. Show a little compassion for your fellow park hoppers. We did. We split up our table and chairs so a young couple could sit down and eat beside us. If you're worried you'll lose your table, by all means, stand guard over it if you must but let that family quickly eat and be on their way. If that day was any example, they'll be gone before your food arrives.

Why is it wrong? Because you said so? I don't think so. As many others have posted, splitting a group up and having one person go order while another finds a table is an eminently sensible and efficient thing to do. In retrospect, I am sure you wish you had gone to stake out a table while your husband ordered. Had you done this, as many, many others do, you would not have had the issue that you had.

Listen to your own advice and eat lunch early. Regardless of the point at which people grab their tables you are still going to be frustrated by the lack of seating if you go during lunch rush.

It really is the best advice. I intend to do this every time in the future. I still wanted to bring the subject of saving tables w/no food up again here at the DIS. I'm not the only one with my opinion but clearly it's not the most popular one. Oh well. I'll sit back and read the rest of the replies and watch the poll.

To keep it all in perspective, these families are at WDW and if the least magical thing that happens to them or us is that we have to eat our $50 chicken strips outside or standing up, I know we are still blessed and no I do not feel sorry or guilty for them.

And we have been known to scoot over to make room for others, and Dh will always give up his seat on the bus, but these are courtesies, and should not become expectations. I am thankful for courtesies, but I do not expect them, nor do I think less of others for not extending them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter