• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Save blt totwl for dvc members

During our recent stay we (family of 4) went to the TOTWL on our arrival night - a Sunday. We arrived shortly before the fireworks and there were a few open tables. Most people were outside on the deck for the fireworks and very soon after they were over, we were one of only 2 parties left in the lounge. It was for us a very pleasant hour where we each had a drink, watched the Sunday night NFL late game a bit, and enjoyed the excellent service of the staff. The staff did a great job of helping us entertain the kids. Having had a private party at WDW a few years ago, we both commented on how it would be the perfect venue for such functions.
I believe the lounge itself is too small to open to all DVC members, but for access issues and financial support, it would make more sense to open to DVC and cash guests staying at BLT. The next four nights, we found we loved being in our MK view room with the music piped in and little ones in their jammies watching Wishes. I think that there are so many rooms with a view is one of the reasons that the attendance is low. The other is that there is very little to advertise that the TOTWL exists once you are there - I only knew about it because of the Dis boards. It IS worth a visit to BLT to experience it, but I can't imagine with how slow it is that it won't soon go to private functions.

After reading through this thread, I just realized that BLT is 50% DVC and 50% cash paying guests. Is that ratio really true? If so, it does not make sense to me to exclude those that are paying cash to stay there from the lounge. Those guests already have access to the building and should have access to the lounge. That would increase the number of guests in the lounge right there. In theory, doubling the amount of guests. I would say give them access first and then I will just have to wait for my stay at BLT for a chance to visit it.

...however, we brought blt to be like..."our disney home."

So did most other DVC members. But the perception of what defines that "home" will vary wildly.

here, our expectations were created by disney....a dvc..owner,
.."feels like home". if that's true..then not under my roof where
my family is. blt..isn't a single club. & that will be a real danger
if this lounge..is opened up..to all. & that is why, those staying..
shouldn't...bring all their friends.....to party. it cannot be 2 ways,
having your cake & eating it to." we " brought blt....for our
disney~family vacations....not to put on the "ritz."

Really not sure where any of this is coming from. As others have stated, all of the Disney hotels have a bar of some sort. There are no plans to turn the TotWL into a night club. The impact of opening up the lounge to cash guests or other DVC members wouldn't introduce some unsavory element to the facility--it would simply increase the foot traffic.

It's very possible that TotWL will play host to groups of adults looking to unwind and enjoy themselves a bit--even with attendance limited to just DVC members staying at BLT. As long as that enjoyment doesn't go beyond Disney's permissible behavior, they are entitled to do so.

As for whether you feel mislead regarding acceptable use of the lounge, I suspect it is more of a case of you making incorrect assumptions or not asking the right questions.

After reading through this thread, I just realized that BLT is 50% DVC and 50% cash paying guests. Is that ratio really true? If so, it does not make sense to me to exclude those that are paying cash to stay there from the lounge. Those guests already have access to the building and should have access to the lounge. That would increase the number of guests in the lounge right there. In theory, doubling the amount of guests. I would say give them access first and then I will just have to wait for my stay at BLT for a chance to visit it.

It's probably greater than 50% at this point but still nowhere near 100%. As long as points are still being sold Disney owns a percentage of the building. They can use that ownership to rent to cash guests who are not eligible to access the lounge.

I suspect Disney will just ride things out for another year or so until the points are sold and see how attendance looks. Then they can examine opening the lounge to other groups.

I just had a thought. :idea:

Here is my guess on what Disney might do with the TOTW and TOTWL.

Make it available as a dining package. Guests would pay a premium at the Contemporary restaurants for the right to access the venue for the fireworks viewing.

Same kind of deal as the Candlelight Processional package. They would limit the attendance by limiting the available packages sold per night.

:) Bill

I just had a thought. :idea:

Here is my guess on what Disney might do with the TOTW and TOTWL.

Make it available as a dining package. Guests would pay a premium at the Contemporary restaurants for the right to access the venue for the fireworks viewing.

Same kind of deal as the Candlelight Processional package. They would limit the attendance by limiting the available packages sold per night.

:) Bill

Interesting idea, and easy to implement. A package that is somewhat pricey and could include beverages on the TOTWL

Interesting idea, and easy to implement. A package that is somewhat pricey and could include beverages on the TOTWL

it has 3 restuarants - chef mickey's, wave and CG

the CG already has fireworks views - and really think it should be the one for CR guests.

while are other DVC members that own elsewhere so wanting to share TOW - it is easy just stay at BLT.

it is no different than staying at BCV to do SALb

.....the lounge...should not be permitted to become like a
"bar downtown"...how many throw regular drinking parties....
in their home? nor was this subject ever brought up when
we visited the sales person but i think it is self -evident
...that disney was using "comin home" for? [ on a previous
thread...we asked exactly what is the expectations
from being "welcome home" but it was never answered.]

one lil'concern was about having a loitering place...for "picking
up". patrons...spending hours drinking, wonder the type
of intrusive behaviors...the regular guests..can expect.

what we see...@ work..those drinking, where the person starts having
"self-control" problems. legal encounters & the such.

"a problem"?...well , there are some using rationalization...
[drinking to forget problems]. from acting silly....to acting out.....
......all the way down the line..."assaults, ..to suicides.*note,
most chosing suicide...are under the influence. so while one
may have a problem, in reality...have many problems when
the one problem is etoh related.

think you missed a few facts.

first the lounge is tiny

second there are ALWAYS security guards - it is their job to make sure what you fear DOES NOT happen.

now before TOW - had a problem drinking in the lounges at Disney. because yet some people will try to pick you up.

but TOW despite the design has more of a business attitude. more people were on their computer than even talking to each other - very strange behavior for a lounge.

also it seems to be more Disney CM in suites and believe me if anyone started to act up in front of them - they would throw out of Disney property.

disney is a private company - and have the right to refuse service to people who only want to destroy and make it unpleasant for other guests.

I wouldn't mind if it was opened up to other DVC members. I don't think it should be open to regular guests though. If you are going to pay to be a DVC member then there should be some perks don't you think? :confused3

the CG already has fireworks views - and really think it should be the one for CR guests.
But the problem with that is the restaurant is open to anyone that wants to eat there, so it's kind of hard saying the fireworks are only open to Contemporary guests.

I think that the next step will be that BLT owners will be allowed to use the TOTWL regardless of where they are staying as long as they are doing so on points.

We are BLT Owners....Now THAT idea of yours makes sense to me! We were just there for a split stay (BLT and then OKW)...most of our days were at OKW because we were part of a 31 person Magical Gathering and the other members in our family out voted us (so OKW was the majority choice)... and we really would have loved to have spent some time at the ToTWL on other evenings.

...yes, i would vote with the previous post.

as for the others...offering input . true, we don't understand
all the specifics. [ the reason i mentioned...the lounge ..was
not discussed during our dvc presentation.]

nor are we in an "authority" position. nor do i see disney seeking
ours..or other members...in deciding this or most policies.

however, .....the topics i were addressing...,i have some insights,
as it is my life work & this was alarming to me...,what others
were trying to manipulate....., ie., one person feeling offensive
that drinks...only during the fireworks. over & over..trying to work
it...into an open season..where anybody..can come & go..,a hangout.

...so as i was reading, & "seeing"...the desires...were not in line
with our expectations..{ if disney made these changes..they were hoping
for..., & because.....we do own here, we are concern....of any changes
that could expose..our children to dangers. } we are not going to wait
to registered these concerns.

etoh....was my aim..because....it is a drug. a strong depressant....
..that ruin many of life. interesting, so there are bars...@ all the
dvc sites?....wonder why new/potential buyers are not informed
of this? do they allowed anyone to visit or hang out?

...the primary reason for us..to seek out the dvc lodging...had to do
with our vacation in july..& the ugly-american encounters....from the
land below. nasty, nasty stuff.....that had us calling security more than
once. also there were problems..closer to home, form a conference
related to fla. 's firefighters.....& the party crashers they snuck in.

..if this lounge..is so small..then there should..not be expected to
have been a big money ..maker , from the start? secondly, over-
crowding...how would you like paying...big money, then being
pushed out.....by those only visiting & drinking? ..the point of limited
resources...requiring restrictions ...for those staying there?

...more than anything..else..those coming back, reporting they
never used their card..to gain access on the bridge....meaning anyone
can get thru....to me, this is a real safety concern.

..if managed properly....& with adequate restrictions.....there would be
no problems. but , just by it's location alone...to have it as an open
bar....what good will 2 security guards.....when things get out of
hand?

can't have your cake...& it eat it to. well, out blt....contact..cost alot
more than a cake. so if disney..wants to make money...from running
a magic k. bar...than they should..build one with just that purpose.
but not on top, of blt. [ should remains...like a club where the
potential dangers can be reduced...to all staying there with their
families...like us. ]

How would they identify BLT owners from other owners? Our membership cards make no reference to resort owned.

...yes, i would vote with the previous post.

as for the others...offering input . true, we don't understand
all the specifics. [ the reason i mentioned...the lounge ..was
not discussed during our dvc presentation.]

nor are we in an "authority" position. nor do i see disney seeking
ours..or other members...in deciding this or most policies.

however, .....the topics i were addressing...,i have some insights,
as it is my life work & this was alarming to me...,what others
were trying to manipulate....., ie., one person feeling offensive
that drinks...only during the fireworks. over & over..trying to work
it...into an open season..where anybody..can come & go..,a hangout.

...so as i was reading, & "seeing"...the desires...were not in line
with our expectations..{ if disney made these changes..they were hoping
for..., & because.....we do own here, we are concern....of any changes
that could expose..our children to dangers. } we are not going to wait
to registered these concerns.

dvc sites?....wonder why new/potential buyers are not informed
of this? do they allowed anyone to visit or hang out?

..if this lounge..is so small..then there should..not be expected to
have been a big money ..maker , from the start? secondly, over-
crowding...how would you like paying...big money, then being
pushed out.....by those only visiting & drinking? ..the point of limited
resources...requiring restrictions ...for those staying there?

...more than anything..else..those coming back, reporting they
never used their card..to gain access on the bridge....meaning anyone
can get thru....to me, this is a real safety concern.

..if managed properly....& with adequate restrictions.....there would be
no problems. but , just by it's location alone...to have it as an open
bar....what good will 2 security guards.....when things get out of
hand?

can't have your cake...& it eat it to. well, out blt....contact..cost alot
more than a cake. so if disney..wants to make money...from running
a magic k. bar...than they should..build one with just that purpose.
but not on top, of blt. [ should remains...like a club where the
potential dangers can be reduced...to all staying there with their
families...like us. ]

As others have posted, all WDW and DVC resorts serve alcoholic beverages, most have a lounge area, like Gurgling Suitcase at OKW. If you do not wish to partake in the beverages, don't order them. I rarely drink alcohol myself, but do enjoy it occasionally.

I honestly don't see it as a safety issue. All other resort lounges and restaurants are indeed open to the general public, anyone can drive, bus or boat to any other resort to enjoy their lounges and food services.

Now, if DVC Marketing wants to finance the lounge at BLT, fine and dandy, it should not be financed by members. If it needs to turn a decent profit or close, then they will do what it takes to make that profit...whether it is opening it to the public, all DVCers, or renting it for private functions.

dvc sites?........

There are bars at every Disney resort on property and alcoholic beverages can be purchased at Epcot, DHS & AK & Downtown Disney as well. Yes alcohol is addictive, etc. and so are plenty of other substances readily available like cold & allergy medicines etc. sold over the counter at any supermarket or pharmacy. So what do you propose to do about all these situations ? :confused3

" ugly-american encounters " ???? Did you ask everyone for proof of citizenship ???
But isn't it great too that this is America and you are entitled to say and think whatever you want in this beautiful land of the free & home of the brave ?

You have such a keen eye but yet you missed that there would be a lounge atop Bay Lake Tower when you purchased & feel your guide may have been misleading ?

imho you haven't offered up any proof of any official incident reports on WDW property to be painting with such a broad brush about the dangers this lounge presents and make too many negative assumptions about adults who may enjoy alcoholic beverages. I'm sure some situations have occurred from time to time & will continue to happen from time to time but not nearly at the levels you are suggesting.

You're looking for a fortress, hopefully you'll find a vacation destination that fits that description.

///

:confused: All... those... dots... are... confusing!!

I don't think you can stop serving alcohol in Disney just because some people may get out of hand. Disney seems pretty on top of that kind of thing. I have heard of several people getting kicked out of the bars for obnoxious behavior. I am sure the bartenders and security are well trained in knowing who has had a little too much to drink. If you do not like to be around people who are drinking, I trying to distance yourself from where you think there will be obnoxious drunks.

Oh and what is up with the "ugly American encounters" comment? There are ugly encounters all over the world not just with Americans.

1) It is a good idea to lease the space.
2) The reason is clear, and mentioned by most of you.
3) People watch fireworks then leave.
4) How could the lounge possibly support itself in this fashion?

1) It is a good idea to lease the space.
2) The reason is clear, and mentioned by most of you.
3) People watch fireworks then leave.
4) How could the lounge possibly support itself in this fashion?

Magic?

pixiedust:

I think they'll first wait for BLT to be fully declared and mostly sold before taking next steps. Depending on traffic analysis, they will likely decide to open it to additional group(s). In the end, they need to make sure it at least breaks even -- but the idea is for that space to make them money. Make no mistakes, they will do what makes them the most money (and, of course, then tell you it was because of overwhelming member requests). :sad2:

I stayed at BLT this past October and visited the Lounge a couple of nights. Other than a good view of the Magic Kingdom, I found the place to be quite stale and lifeless. In my opinion, the Tambu Lounge at the Polynesian rules! It's fun, well themed, energetic, has a big screen television to watch your favorite game, and full of attractive singles. It's also located in an area which allows guests waiting on a table at O'Hana's to have a place to hang out and have a drink before dinner. I can't imagine them closing the BLT Lounge. Look at the bar in the Grand Floridian. It's about as dead and exciting as a funeral home but is still in business. The bar at Wilderness Lodge is another sleeping area which remains in business. I think Disney should wake up and realize why the Tambu is consistently pulling in the guests if they want to create some revenue at BLT's Lounge.

"save blt totwl for dvc members".....came across as a scare
tactic...& why i expressed our interests. [ i tried to find any
other discussions concerning the other dvc lounges but
was unsuccessful. ] this also reminded me of the "noisy
rooms"..on the magic/wonder , under the adult clubs.

ugly american...was a generalization about the same topic
being presented here. who should be entitled to this lounge?

[ one example, while my daughter was taking her turn with a
character, teenagers from one of those south american
groups..."butted in". therefore, i had to redirect them..out of our
pictures. ]

..what is the current policy..regarding the "open viewing" @ the
california grill ? wasn't there a problem, where those not eating
crowding...out those dining? how many std. or lake-view rooms
are there , where it could be expected staying in them,
would want to visit this lounge? [ i think that would be the first
factor ].

finally,"flight of ideas"... is a very intrusive comment , by a stranger...
seeking attention...very borderline,& revealing more about your
own personality type. are you a blt owner?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter