• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Savannah GA

ajwolfe

DIS Veteran
We are planning on staying in Savannah a couple nights before we head to HHI in May. Hotel is already booked in the historic district. Just looking for ideas on things to do with kids (ages 8 and 11 at travel) in the area: good ghost tour? good trolly tour? what squares are the best to check out? Etc? And if you have any money saving tips for the area, that's great too, as it's our first trip there.

Thanks!!

We like the Old Town trolley. It's an on and off tour so you can use it as your transportation for the day, too.

I don't think any of the squares are really better than any others in terms of "things to do." Kids might not find them that interesting.

City Market is a nice place to explore and it's on the trolley tour.

Definitely do a ghost tour. You can either do a walking one, or one on a bus or a Hearst. They do book fast because they are popular.

Google Savannah and Girl Scouts (even if your kids are boys). You will get lots of ideas of things to do.

Take a walk down River Street and visit the Savannah Candy Kitchen. If they are making pecan pralines, they give out free samples that melt in your mouth. Our kids love all the candy choices and watching the train that travels on the track overhead. We also like to watch the cargo ships coming up the Savannah river. Their size still amazes me.

If your kids enjoy trains, the Georgia State Railroad Museum is near the historic district and has steam train rides and an operational turntable. Also, Fort Jackson is not far from the historic district and gives tours.

Hope you have a wonderful time! Savannah is one of our favorite cities!

Went in May 2 yrs ago, perfect weather. Found an afternoon walking ghost tour coupon on Groupon. Was very good and we ate at the ice cream shop they pointed out and it was great. Ate at a wonderful burger place too. Cant remember the name but we just googled "best burgers in Savannah" and it was the first one.

We had planned to do a ghost tour when we went last year, but the weather looked iffy, so we decided against it. What we did.....we found a tour app and bought it for my DDs phone. She guided us on one of the historical area tours it had on it. And it indeed did start to rain during it, so we cut back to our car. We ate on the Riverfront after walking and shopping there, before we started our tour.

We will attempt a Ghost tour on another trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter