Saratoga or OKW? Nicest studios?

Sorrel

Mouseketeer
We have just decided we can manage a 2 week visit in Jan/Feb 2011 if we budget nicely :yay:

Pricing things up, SSR and OKW have a discount, and the studios are affordable to us. We wanted somewhere with access to bars and restaurants on the evening without us having to drive or take the bus, and as we can't afford to stay in the Boardwalk area then DTD will do very nicely! The balcony/patio is also something we will truly appreciate and use.

Thing is, we don't know much about these resorts, and searching and reading about them has clarified some things, raised questions about others, and left us totally confused as to which is preferable! We know we can walk pretty easily from SSR to DTD, but can easily get the boat from OKW, so am I right in thinking that access to DTD from either is going to be fine? Location-wise, are there advantages with either above the other?

The other, and maybe more important point, is that many reviews seemed to say that OKW studios are a bit shabby and old (I must say, I thought they looked a little old-fashioned on the pics I'd seen). I know they're being renovated, but I worry that if we don't get a renovated room we'll be disappointed.

Then I read other reviews that said SSR rooms were looking dated also....so I guess I'm asking for feedback on the state of the rooms. I hear rave reviews about the villas in each, but as we can only stretch to a studio (there will only be the 2 of us anyway) I'm not so sure about them.

I think I have rambled a bit :rolleyes1 but any help would be most appreciated, thank you! :)

Both are very close to each other, so unless walking to DTD is a must over the boat, then there's little difference in location. The OKW studio will be significantly larger and I do believe that studios there offer 2 queen beds instead of 1 queen and 1 sleeper sofa. That second part might be a negative for you if you only need 1 queen and the extra room left by the folded-up sleeper is something you'd like. OKW will also have a larger balcony/patio. Where SSR wins is spa onsite and better main pool.

I agree with all Tara said!

Both resorts are supposed to look old fashioned thats there theming.

We were in a original OKW 1 bedroom last November.......seemed well keep to us.........nothing shabby!

Have a great trip!

AKK

Another thing to keep in mind.....the boats don't run in the rain or inclement weather. So your boat access may be hindered at times. If you are at SSR, you can walk no matter what (not that you want to walk in the rain, but a drizzle is OK) And if there is lightning spotted within some distance they may stop the boats for awhile. If you request Congress Park at SSR, you may get a gorgeous view of DTD too.

I would choose SSR studio for a 2 week visit unless you need 2 beds. It would be nice to have a couch as you'll probably have some time to relax in the room. The pool is much nicer at SSR, food options better, and getting to DTD is quicker.

Thanks for your replies everyone! :thumbsup2

I think we may have decided on SSR. I think the thing that has swung it in our favour is what Tara and Tink said about the sleeper sofa vs the 2nd queen bed. Even if SSR is a little smaller, I guess having a sofa instead of a 2nd bed would give the two of us more useable space, and we can cope with a slightly smaller balcony, so long as we have one!

We would be concerned if we were placed way out of the way of DTD access, but are hoping by requesting Congress Park we can get lucky and get the area we want.

Thank you again!

We stayed at SSR last September, in a one bedroom, but the rooms/themind did not seem dated at all to me. There were granite countertops, nice/new furniture, updated bathroom, etc. We were very pleased.

We stayed at SSR in August in a studio in August. The room didn't look dated of shabby, we loved the place. For 2 people I think SSR is better because of only having one bed, we liked being able to sit on the sofa and relax, rather than having to sit on the bed. We stayed in Congress Park and could walk to DTD in 5 minutes, it was great!! Infact it was quicked to walk to DTD than to the food court. :)

I have been in both studios. SSR wins for me hands down. My DH & I tried OKW studio last April and were very disappointed. It really looked run down and had a musty smell to it. We even asked to be changed to a different room and still found it to be in disrepair. We used the bus system and could not figure out the bussing there...too many turn arounds seemed to take longer. Getting to DTD is easy from SSR. Walk, bus or boat it is only a few minutes away!!! Good luck with your decision!

I have stayed at both resorts several times each. For two people I think an SSR studio wins. The sofa is nice for relaxing and I also much prefer the bathroom set up in an SSR studio. The sink is outside the toilet/tub area, whereas at OKW its an all in one set up. I also don't find the balconies in the OKW studios that much bigger. Now the one and two bedroom OKW units have huge balconies.

I love both resorts and think OKW is a tropical heaven. But SSR has better dining options both right there and its more walkable and closer to DTD. SSR also has the spa and I think nicer pools.

I am shocked to hear anyone saying SSR is dated as far as the rooms. That resort is like 5-6 years old (some buildings are newer but I think the first buildings in SSR opened in 2005) and to me those rooms are lovely. Very traditional furnishings with dark woods but nice granite counter tops and very lovely. On the other hand, OKW units have always been very nice for us too, but I do think it was due for a refurb.

If it was a one bedroom you were talking about, I'd go with OKW for the extra space, or if you had a party larger than two I'd go with OKW (pulling out that sofa bed gets old), even though I prefer SSR as a resort over OKW as a resort. However, for a couple, in a studio, I'd pick SSR everytime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter