Saratoga / Disney Springs Walkway

Jodie0705

Earning My Ears
Is it safe to use the walkway between Saratoga and Disney Springs at night? I’ve heard a few people comment about gators since the walkway runs along the waterway so wondering if it’s a legitimate concern.

No personal experience, but we watched Amy and Paul Krieger's (The DIS Unplugged) review of Saratoga not long ago.

I remember Amy said she didn't feel comfortable on the walkway after dark, that it wasn't that well lit and there is risk of gators.

I certainly wouldn't go near that after dark in May or June, alligator mating season.

No personal experience, but we watched Amy and Paul Krieger's (The DIS Unplugged) review of Saratoga not long ago.

I remember Amy said she didn't feel comfortable on the walkway after dark, that it wasn't that well lit and there is risk of gators.

I certainly wouldn't go near that after dark in May or June, alligator mating season.
It’s very safe.

There seems to be some discrepancy between these replies.

We're considering staying at SSR simply for the convenience of that path during an adult trip, so knowing about this is very important to me. Now I'm concerned that it's not a good choice.

There is a portion of the walkway connecting the far side of SSR Congress Park ( a.k.a. the end of the Congress Park parking lot closest to the watercraft docks at Disney Springs) to the main waterside walkway that goes through a thick pine forest with underbrush. It has signs that indicate it is closed at dusk. There are no lights on this part of the walkway. I suspect that might be the area Amy K was referencing. However, the main (better) walkway from the Congress Park Bus stop to the main waterside walkway is well lit. And the rest of the SSR to DS walkway along the waterway is quite wide and well lit. SSR has been one of my home resorts since 2006 and I often walk from Disney Springs to SSR after dark. I've never seen anything scary, though there are alligators in most freshwater areas in Florida so I couldn't absolutely rule it out. All the SSR bridges I can think off are significantly higher than the top of the water and you can see quite a distance on all of them. I doubt a 'gater could get onto those bridges. And if it did, you'd see it from a very long way away.

Thank you for the question and replies. I'm considering SSR for my trip so I am glad to know that the bridges are safe from gators although I'll try me best to stay away at night.

I believe they were walking back to OKW from SSR/DS. Paul specifically mentioned it on a DIS podcast just the other day. That's a whole different beast. The stretch along the two golf course fairways and the long canal is poorly lit (it's really more of a daytime jogging path that's barely discernable from the cart paths, but people CAN and do use it to walk to DS). There is plenty of bushes, reeds, and sone areas of still water.

The walkway along the front of SSR is extremely well lit, with lights illuminating the water, the grass, the walkways and the buildings in Congress Park. There is so much boat traffic on that DS lagoon that I doubt there has ever been a gator that wandered that far over there. Plus, the grass strip between the water and the walkway has no foliage and is only maybe 20 feet wide so there's literally nowhere for a gator to hide.

As mentioned above, the walkway from the Congress Park parking lot to the DS bridge, through the wooded area, is very clearly posted as closed from dusk until dawn. I'm going to say that's more about human attacks than reptilian as it's way too far from the water. There are two wide main walkways that lead to the same parking lot that are fully illuminated and bordered by grass and flower beds. There's really no reason to go through there regardless of the time of day

Last edited:
My son just got back from SS and said the Walkway was great and very safe late at night...he and his friends would walk back pretty late almost every night

I have walked it alone and never felt unsafe. I have done both sides too.

Thanks everyone; obviously didn’t know there was a bridge or I wouldn’t have been worried about it. We stayed at French Quarter once and I assumed the SSR/DS walkway was similar to the walking path which does butt up against the waterway. Wildlife in FL differs from WI so trying to pay attention to the surroundings

I believe they were walking back to OKW from SSR/DS. Paul specifically mentioned it on a DIS podcast just the other day. That's a whole different beast. The stretch along the two golf course fairways and the long canal is poorly lit (it's really more of a daytime jogging path that's barely discernable from the cart paths, but people CAN and do use it to walk to DS). There is plenty of bushes, reeds, and sone areas of still water.

The walkway along the front of SSR is extremely well lit, with lights illuminating the water, the grass, the walkways and the buildings in Congress Park. There is so much boat traffic on that DS lagoon that I doubt there has ever been a gator that wandered that far over there. Plus, the grass strip between the water and the walkway has no foliage and is only maybe 20 feet wide so there's literally nowhere for a gator to hide.

As mentioned above, the walkway from the Congress Park parking lot to the DS bridge, through the wooded area, is very clearly posted as closed from dusk until dawn. I'm going to say that's more about human attacks than reptilian as it's way too far from the water. There are two wide main walkways that lead to the same parking lot that are fully illuminated and bordered by grass and flower beds. There's really no reason to go through there regardless of the time of day

I’m definitely late to this party, but this is true. I was talking about the path between Old Key West and Saratoga which is completely dark at night and scary. We love it during the day. From Disney Springs to Saratoga, I would take that path all night long through Congress Park, day, night, drunk, whatever. It’s perfectly well lit and safe.

I’m not on here much, but every so often I search my name, lol.

I know they’re everywhere, but I saw a snake on that path in the early evening this past July, and that alone would make me nervous about walking it after dark.

Hi, how late do the boats run between ss and disney springs? Is there a boat from old key west?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter