San Francisco

MPHARJ

DIS Veteran
I need some help I am planning on spending 2 nights in SF before we venture to DL. I wanted to keep it cheap but stay some where nice. I was looking at the Fishermans Wharf area so that it is close to the places we want to try to see, having never been here I have no idea where to stay or waht to see. Thought about Alcatraz, The Golden Gate Bridge of course maybe the kids would like the wax museum, anyways the wharf area seems close to most of those options. It will be myself and 7 and then 13 year old. I don't want to rent a car we will get the shuttle to the hotel and walk to most places. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated I want a lovely place hopefully with some views, but want to save most of our money for conceirge at DPP again!!!

From the Wharf area you can access via Taxi, bus or foot the bay cruises, the Alcatraz cruises, the shops and restaurants at the ferry bldg. etc. get your tix for Alcatraz ahead of time, I highly recommend the night tour.

With kids that age a trip to the Exploratorium would be a must in my book. The Exploratorium is near the Presidio at the Palace of the Fine Arts and from there you could walk to the Bridge. You can walk from the Exploratorium to the Wharf, we have done it but it is a hike.

Check out Tripadvisor.com for hotel suggestions. We always stay in the East Bay and take BART into the city.

The nice thing about SF is that it is a walking city. You can stay at the Wharf and be close to everything arooi=und there and a cable car ride away from Union Square and Nob Hill. Yu can keep the kids entertained for a full day on the Pier and with a boat ride to Alcatraz.

You can eat fairly cheap on the sidewalk with wonderful walk away crab salads!

We stayed at the Hilton by fishermans wharf and it was wonderful. It was walking distance to the wharf,obviously, and we went up to Ghiradelli square and all over. I don't remember the cost, it was a few years ago, but it was nice and clean and close to everything. They were very good about finding us a cab too when we needed it to go to Beach Babylon show.

A nice cheaper location is the Holiday Inn, it is just a short walk from Pier 39 and the cable car turn arounds. We have stayed at the Hyatt and Sheraton before both rather expensive, but the Hyatt was our favourite.

Claire ;)

Thank you all, I took a gamble and booked a room thruogh Hotwire to save money, we ended up with the Sheraton for 2 nights. It looks really nice and I was able to get 2 nights for under $280 total with all of the taxes etc... I am happy it is close and nice but didn't cost me too much.

Now my next question where are some good cheap places to eat while we are there? With what I am spending on Disneyland the following 7 days I need to save money here.

Thanks again!;)

You will find the Sheraton really nice. As for food we found the North Beach Pizza on Pier 39 to be a good price for a buffet of pizza, pasta and salad back in 2003, it is showing as $15 last year on the Pier 39 website. Otherwise there is the standard Hard Rock Cafe and Bubba Gumps on Pier 39 as well.

Claire ;)

Thank you all, I took a gamble and booked a room thruogh Hotwire to save money, we ended up with the Sheraton for 2 nights. It looks really nice and I was able to get 2 nights for under $280 total with all of the taxes etc... I am happy it is close and nice but didn't cost me too much.

Now my next question where are some good cheap places to eat while we are there? With what I am spending on Disneyland the following 7 days I need to save money here.

Thanks again!;)
We love the Washington Street Bakery and Restaurant in China Town - Cheap, delicious eats. Also Johnny Rockets at the Wharf area is not a bad deal for a burger.

MPHARJ,

We are going to San Francisco in July and I was wondering if you booked the 3 star or the 3.5 star thru Hotwire. I have checked Hotwire and they have a 3 star for 64.00 a night and a 3.5 star for 169.00 a night. Thank you very much.

MPHARJ,

We are going to San Francisco in July and I was wondering if you booked the 3 star or the 3.5 star thru Hotwire. I have checked Hotwire and they have a 3 star for 64.00 a night and a 3.5 star for 169.00 a night. Thank you very much.

I booked the 3.5 star on Hotwire. There were plenty of other cheaper options, but I wanted a higher class and in the Fishermans Wharf area. Good luck let me know what you end up with!

Thanks for all of the dining options I think we should be able to get by for very little! Thanks!

We have used Hotwire and got a 4 star hotel right near Union Square for $100 a night (weeknights). It was great and we were able to walk to Union Square, the Metreon and the SF shopping Galleria (to Pier 39 I would take a taxi). In Union Square there is a Cheesecake Factory at the top of the Macy's Building (it is usually crowded), but it is fun and you can split meals because the portions are huge. A great place for breakfast (or any meal really) is Sears Fine foods (it is just a cafe w/cheap good food), it is just off of Union Square.

Have fun and make sure you check out Golden Gate Park. Just seeing the outside of the Conservatory of flowers at this time of year is so pretty and the japanese tea garden will be blooming. You can rent one of those funny little four person bike buggies and cruise around the park.

Please please PLEASE, for the love of all things Disney, do not eat at chain restaurants in San Francisco! There are so many amazing places to eat!

In Union Square, on Powell street just past Gery there are some amazing hole in the wall restaurants. There is an Italian restaurant that is to die for. A tiny bakery with fruit tarts that are out of this world! North Beach has some great coffee places. Chinatown, Japantown all have amazing food. Get your clam chowder and crab sandwich from a walk up stand at the Warf. Explore what is around! Save the chain restaurants for home or other locals that don't have such amazing choices!

MPHARA

My DH decided to try Priceline so we ended up with Holiday Inn at the Wharf. It is rated a 3.5* on Priceline. I think it is a 3* on Hotwire. We are only paying $70.00 per night so I think I will book something else that is refundable incase the Holiday Inn turns out to be bad. Thanks for your help.

Please please PLEASE, for the love of all things Disney, do not eat at chain restaurants in San Francisco! There are so many amazing places to eat!

In Union Square, on Powell street just past Gery there are some amazing hole in the wall restaurants. There is an Italian restaurant that is to die for. A tiny bakery with fruit tarts that are out of this world! North Beach has some great coffee places. Chinatown, Japantown all have amazing food. Get your clam chowder and crab sandwich from a walk up stand at the Warf. Explore what is around! Save the chain restaurants for home or other locals that don't have such amazing choices!

Thanks for your advice, we will look into the little places known in SF. I am not into chain eating when on vacation I like to try new places. Thanks for all of the info!

MPHARA

My DH decided to try Priceline so we ended up with Holiday Inn at the Wharf. It is rated a 3.5* on Priceline. I think it is a 3* on Hotwire. We are only paying $70.00 per night so I think I will book something else that is refundable incase the Holiday Inn turns out to be bad. Thanks for your help.

That sounds great, good luck and I hope everything works out for you. I was going to book the Holiday Inn before I tried Hotwire. It looked nice and it was a cheaper place. I think you'll be ok!

A nice Italian in Fishermans Wharf is Cafe Pescatore at the Tuscan Inn, we had a great meal there in 2006.

Claire ;)

I agree about the chain restaurants - when we are on vacation we will not eat anywhere we could eat at home.

In-N-Out Burger IMO is not your typical franchise, they are legendary and if one has never had a Double Double Animal Style, then one must try it! :goodvibes When I first moved to Reno we (along with anyone else in the know) would drive 120 miles to the In-N-Out Burger in Auburn, CA. Now we have our own In-N-Out and we all still love them. Although, I must say having recently visited Texas, I see why the Whataburger is so popular!

On one of our visits to SFO we started off in Union Square and walked to Fishermans Wharf. Thru China Town to Columbus Ave. Columbus is one of the few streets in SFO that runs diagonally. We nibbled and munched our way along. It was an amazing afternoon. We found the walking tour map and details in our AAA Guide.

Our favorite restaurant in the Wharf area is Fishermans Grotto

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter