San Francisco thread - to discuss all things San Francisco

Sacramento is roughly 2 hours drive east of San Francisco.

We went there in 2007 as part of a music colloquium and stayed in one of the dorms of the California State University Sacramento, right along the river.
VariousSFpictures024.jpg

Prior to this stay, we had driven through on the way to Lake Tahoe.

I also saw a little bit of Sacramento, with most of my time taken up with attending the colloquium. So, keep this in mind when you read this post about things to do in Sacramento.

Sacramento city center is very easy to get around. It is all laid out in a perfect square with incremental numbered streets in one direction and increasing lettered streets in the pependicular direction. I thought it had a reasonable bus system which takes you all round the downtown area.

As the state capital, it has a rather impressive state capitol building and a historic governor's mansion. No, Arnie does not live in the governor's mansion.

Attractions that I enjoyed:
California State Railway Museum. I decided to go visit because the entry fee was reasonable and I had about an hour to kill. For the $7 or $8 entry fee, this museum just blew me away. There were so many trains and so many displays to look at and you can get really close up and personal with all the steam and diesel engines you can dream of.
VariousSFpictures018.jpg

There's even an old dining cart complete with the original fine china used for first class passengers!
VariousSFpictures019.jpg

I ended up coming back again later in the evening so that I could spend more time exploring the museum (same ticket valid all day). If you were driving past, I highly recommend that you stop by the Old Sacramento site and visit this museum.

Old Sacramento. Buildings in this area are all wooden and as near original as they could maintain. Old Sacramento is right along the riverfront and there are restaurants and souvenier shops here. It's rather "wild west/cowboy" and takes you back to what it would have been like to be in California during the Gold Rush era.

Sutter's Fort. John Sutter was about 150 years ahead of his time. This place is the equivalent of a shopping mall! When the pioneers went west, Sutter's Fort was one of those places they stopped at to rest up and get provisions.
VariousSFpictures022.jpg

VariousSFpictures020.jpg

There's the Baker's delight, the Bunnings shop, the House shop, the restaurant, the bed and breakfast, the smithy....

A little bit out of Sacramento, on the way to Lake Tahoe, you'll find a pretty little town called Placerville (the "Plac" is pronounced the same way you would pronounce it in "Placid").
VariousSFpictures015.jpg

This place used to be called "Hangtown". The town used to be the place where law breakers were convicted and hung. The main street of town is about 1/2 mile in length (it's a very small town) and I spent about 1 - 1.5 hours hanging out here (pun intended), including coffee time.
VariousSFpictures014.jpg

At the Lake Tahoe end of Placerville, I counted at least 15 law offices. I'm not sure whether this is a hangover of the olden days, but there is still a court in this little town; hence the lawyers. Down the Sacramento end of the town, there is a bar that claims to have the hanging post where the deed was done.
VariousSFpictures016.jpg

If you're chasing the historic California experience, then this is one town worth stopping at.

Of the restaurants I ate at in Sacramento, the one worth recommending was Tapa the World - you guessed it - Spanish food and I thought the food was pretty good here. We went as a group of about 30 people and everyone's meals looked great. I had stuffed peppers and it was delicious.

Retail Malls
There are the standard range of shops in the Downtown Plaza Shopping Mall. I also shopped at the Arden Fair Mall, which is near CSUS.

Outlet Malls
Folsom Mall - http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=27
Vacaville Premium Outlets - http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=50

Did I enjoy my time in Sacramento? Yes, I did...and a lot of it had to do with the fact that we were part of a group of about 75 people and we had a great time hanging out with them.

Would I recommend that you go to Sacramento? Well, that depends. It depends on whether it is part of an overall driving trip around NorCal and it depends on how much time you have.

The experience that I got out of Sacramento was one of historic gold rush California. If this is what you are looking for, then yes - it is worth the trip.

princess::upsidedow

Thankyou PrincessInOz, I've been to SFC a few times but never thought about doing a day trip to Yosemite, am now going to look in to it for next Jan. Was also planning on the State Rail Museum and seeing those couple of pics convinced me that its a great idea!

We go to San Francisco every two years to visit family. If you around any of the suburban shopping centres, look for "Marshalls". This is a chain that gets all the overstocks from the big department stores. We always pick up amazing bargains - Ralph Lauren clothing for ourselves and our boys for $5 a piece, nike jumbers for the same etc. Plus, they have a lot of of season clothing which Aussies can wear as soon as they get home.

Just remembered this thread and came to mine it for information!!!

So I'm wondering the best cities and towns for history??
I love cities like NYC and Chicago and their skylines.
But I also ADORE the homes in sfo (painted ladies) and brownstones in Boston and those is Charleston SC.

Are there any places around that are worth visiting for their Architectural merit?
Old Sacramento might be worth a visit. We love the Jelly Belly factory and could make it part of that (oh the sacrifices) ...but would consider heading south as well?

We've been to SFO multiple times and are looking for something a bit different...or might not have heard of.....

The best ghost town I've been to is Bodie; which is right on the border with Nevada. If you're chasing the Oregon Trail, then Bodie might be worth a stop. Note - I haven't been there in years!

If you want to stay in the Bay area and Silicon Valley, then around Los Gatos and (I've heard that) San Jose could be good for architecture. Los Gatos is a small town; but real pretty. I've always wanted to go to San Jose but never quite made it into the Old Town area.

There's the Winchester Mystery House...
And catching the steam or diesel train from Felton to the Santa Cruz boardwalk. Or drive to Santa Cruz.

I also like Stamford University for its architecture. And they have the Linear Accelerator there.

All of these are within 35 - 60 minutes from the Downtown area.

I also like going to Asilomar instead of Carmel/Monterey.

The other thing worth seeking out is the old Californian Missions. I went to one in Fremont (across the bay) and found it quite interesting. You could chase the Missions down south...

Thanks oh Fountain of Knowledge! :worship:

I'm not really into ghost towns. The only Ghosts I visit live in my Mansions in Orlando and Anaheim. [For anyone thinking of doing the same...I'm booked into being the 1000th happy haunt]

I'll look into these places... and that is an interesting thread following missions. Might look into places with bungalows etc. Might also look up the buildings by that disaster of an architect called FLW.....

Any more ideas my eyes and ears are open!!

Well, if it's Frank Lloyd Wright you are chasing....have you ever been to Sedona (stop off at Scottsdale) and then chase the Anasazi Indian trail? You'd want to check out Mesa Verda and the cave dwellings there if you have time. Or Canyon de Chelly.

I can EASILY spend 3 days in Sedona.

Sedona seems a bit tooooo far to go...we have already done Death Valley, Grand Canyon etc
I could spend weeks exploring the desert areas though...
I have a whole list of places to visit in the desert still...

We did Monterey Bay Aquarium (Sea otters...what can I say) last time but didn't especially look along the way so I'll definitely look more at that Los Gatos and Santa Cruz idea :wave:

ETA...anyone going a first trip this is WHY I love Monterey :)
P1181461.jpg

P1181463.jpg

AND...of course Jelly Belly
P1191531.jpg

If you're going down that side of the bay, stop at San Mateo and Palo Alto (where Stamford is based) as well. And I assume that you'll drive, take the Skyline Drive if you can. I also like visiting Half Moon Bay. It's a very, very little town and full of cheesy tourist shops; but I find the drive across the 92 really pretty.

Sedona is a little bit different to Grand Canyon and Death Valley. Think Red Center at 6000 feet, pine trees, beautiful creek and one of the UFO capitals of the world. There are quite a few psychics in Sedona as there are about 8 or 9 energy vortex' centred in Sedona. If you are thinking of Sedona, check out the town of Jerome as well. Perhaps on another trip.

Err...yes driving...is there any other way to get around? :confused3
[seriously I don't know how to do a trip without a car now]

I'm liking this I 92 Stamford idea...
I know the family (who I guess get a bit of a say) like Monterey too so that direction might be the go.
Otherwise the Missions hunt...
I have information overload!!

Sedona seems a bit tooooo far to go...we have already done Death Valley, Grand Canyon etc
I could spend weeks exploring the desert areas though...
I have a whole list of places to visit in the desert still...

Queenie, can I ask your opinion on Death Valley. We are planning on driving from Las Vegas to Yosemite next September. We will have 2 stops, probably Furnace Creek and somewhere around Mammoth Lakes. Our kids will be 6, 5 and 2 so we are trying to limit the mileage per day.

Sedona is beautiful. I went there many years ago. Would love to go back but it is so far out of the way.

Queenie, can I ask your opinion on Death Valley. We are planning on driving from Las Vegas to Yosemite next September. We will have 2 stops, probably Furnace Creek and somewhere around Mammoth Lakes. Our kids will be 6, 5 and 2 so we are trying to limit the mileage per day.

Sedona is beautiful. I went there many years ago. Would love to go back but it is so far out of the way.

Death Valley is beautiful.
I would definitely have a look there.

I will be honest in saying that it has been quite a while since we were there and my fondest memories are of Monument Valley, Zion and Bryce Canyon. But I would definitely go to Death Valley if taking this drive.

Looked up Stanford University last night and it is Beautiful! We have been to Harvard and MIT so adding this to the list sounds like a great idea!

Thanks Queenie! We are looking forward to it. Would like to go to the canyon's but will leave that for another time.

Death Valley is beautiful.
I would definitely have a look there.

I will be honest in saying that it has been quite a while since we were there and my fondest memories are of Monument Valley, Zion and Bryce Canyon. But I would definitely go to Death Valley if taking this drive.

Looked up Stanford University last night and it is Beautiful! We have been to Harvard and MIT so adding this to the list sounds like a great idea!

Check out the Rodin at Stanford!

Also check out Notre Dame de Namur. I've only ever driven past from Belmont on the way to the 92 and it is a much smaller campus; but what you can see of the buildings from the road looks great as well.
If you are taking a slow drive, and you are travelling with gardeners, then check out Filoli House and Gardens. It will only be a little bit out of your way from Stanford. I've always driven past and wanted to stop; but my son has never wanted to go. Maybe next trip...

Just remembered something that is in San Francisco

The Walt Disney Family Museum
104 Montgomery St., The Presidio of San Francisco
San Francisco, CA, 94129

Hours

wednesday-monday: 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
closed every tuesday and on january 1, july 4,
thanksgiving day, and december 25

Admission

admission for all is by timed-entry ticket
timed-entry tickets are available online up to 60 days in advance
timed-entry tickets may not be available at the door
members: free
adults: $20:00
seniors (over 65): $15:00
students with valid I.D.: $15:00
children ages 6-17: $12.00
under age 6 free with adult admission

http://www.waltdisney.org

Here are maps to it someone has put up:
http://www.batw.org/news/batw-news/maps-to-walt-disney-family-museum/

Has anyone done a tour of the jelly belly factory?

I found it while looking at things on the net to do with San francisco. It would mean we would have to hire a car for a day to go as that would be cheaper than public transport for us all. I think my kids would really like it but would love to hear from anyone who has actually been there:):):)

Has anyone done a tour of the jelly belly factory?

I found it while looking at things on the net to do with San francisco. It would mean we would have to hire a car for a day to go as that would be cheaper than public transport for us all. I think my kids would really like it but would love to hear from anyone who has actually been there:):):)
We've done it multiple times.
It's loads of fun :woohoo: and you get a free sample bag :thumbsup2

You get to go in and around and see the jelly beans go through their processes and get packaged etc.

They have heaps in the store as well including 'mistakes' that taste just as good but can only be sold as seconds. They are really cheap. You get ones that are stuck together etc... :rotfl2:

I've done it once and it is a FASCINATING tour. You're not allowed to take pictures inside the factory but you get to see how the jelly is made, how it is then coated and packaged up. I'd recommend it anytime.

Just be aware that this is a very popular tourist attraction and you may have to queue for an hour; and tours run every 5 -10 minutes. There is a maximum number of people that they allow to go on each tour. I recommend that you get there as early as possible so that you don't have to wait.

The store is amazing.....and don't forget to take a look at the candy corn. The jelly bellies are better.

And I did post a picture of jelly belly art in an earlier post....(just double checked. It's at the bottom of post 12.)

Any advice for Accommodation in Fisherman's wharf?
We have stayed at the same place a few times which used to be good but are looking for something else.

We want at least 2 Queen beds. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter