San Francisco recommendations - Union Square area

My2Cinderellas

DIS Veteran
ok west coast DIS'ers! You came thru for me a couple years ago with great recommendations for Monterey - now I need help in San Francisco.

Just found out that DH gets to attend a conference in San Francisco next month (15-19th) and I get to tag along! - we'll be staying near Union Square. Would love to get some recommendations for restaurants, we like everything from a great diner to fine dining and most ethnic restaurants - and I LOVE great seafood - but since DH is on a per diem would like to not blow the budget every night. We try to avoid chain restaurants when possible. Probably no steakhouses either - we get great steaks locally so don't usually eat at steakhouses when travelling.

I'm arriving a couple days after he gets there, so I'm on my own dime to get to the hotel from the airport. Is it safe to take the BART (SFO to Powell) after dark or should I cough up cab fare? I'll probably have a rolling carryon with me. It's 2-3 blocks from the Powell stop to our hotel, so I could have DH meet me there if that helps.

Weather in March - here in Iowa it could be anything from mid-50's to a raging blizzard - what will I need for SF? I know to bring heavy sweaters/sweatshirts in June but March is a mystery for me. How heavy do I have to bundle up?

I have the days to myself - any must see/do attractions? We've done the fishermans wharf/sausalito/wine touring stuff several times but I've never spent much time in the city itself. I like art museums and window shopping and unique places.

thanks again for your help - I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Moose's and Aqua are fabulous - but not quite in the Union Square area. Not far, though. They are both very expensive, but worth every penny. I'd put Moose's ahead of Aqua.

Tracy

When DH used to have a per diem, we would eat on the cheap for most of the time and then use it on one big restaurant experience. Fleur de Lys is in downtown SF - Hubert Keller was on Top Chef Masters. For a fancy prix fix experience, it was not too expensive. They were so nice and brought surprises to the table for our anniversary :lovestruc

I also wanted to eat in the Rotunda at Nieman Marcus once I saw Tyler Florence praising their Cobb or crab salad - can't remember right now - maybe it was a seafood Cobb salad! :)

Interested in this topic too. We're going to San Francisco 03/24-03/28. This is family trip, though.

Restaurant Gary Danko is my favorite when I have some cash to spend - I found it from reviews that called it "an epiphany". You buy a number of courses - 3to5 - they're not huge, but they are full of flavor and you leave very full. Former head chef for the Ritz Carlton. Requires res. 30 or more days in advance.
On the cheap ethnic side - House of Nanking. Just on the outskirts of Chinatown ( Columbus & Kearny ) - let the chef (Peter) suggest some dishes based on general likes ( seafood, chicken, etc). Wins local awards every year.

For your trip - BART is great. But the walk from the station at Powell to the hotel could take you thru the "tenderloin" - a very seedy area ( esp if you're at the Hilton, which is very nice but borders that area ). So you may want your husband to meet you for the walk. I'll have to get the names of the questionable streets there - but as you go north on Market you'll start seeing some "adult" stores and then you'll know you're heading into that area.

Don't forget the Walt Disney Family Museum - it's incredible. And as touristy as it sounds, Alcatraz is very interesting. Muir Woods north of the city is breathtaking too. And there's the wine tasting 1-2 hrs away in Sonoma/Napa.

Enjoy! SF is one of the world's great cities. And overall very safe - lots of people walking all the time - and even the street people are generally friendly/polite.

we will be at the King George hotel at Mason and Geary. His conference is a block or two away and this hotel was less than 1/2 the price of the conference location. With the way his company is cutting budgets he is lucky to get to go so was willing to compromise on the hotel. Last year's training/conference budget was $0 so this is a definite improvement! I'm hoping the hotel is decent, the reviews look ok and I can live with basic as long as it's clean - I plan on playing tourist during the day so won't be lounging around. And I do want to go to Alcatraz - we've never made time for it before.

While we love going wine tasting, that's not happening this trip.

keep the suggestions coming - thanks!!

Interested in this topic too. We're going to San Francisco 03/24-03/28. This is family trip, though.

Monicatb - check out the citypass option. It looks particularly well suited to families with kids. I'm thinking of getting it just for myself - it includes admission to several venues and is a multi-day Muni pass too. On the citypass website there is an option to sub a tour to Alcatraz for the bay cruise if you go thru the Alcatraz tour office. $59 adult/$39 kids

BART will work great for you, you won't need to worry about safety. :)
My favorite restaurant in SF is the Stinking Rose. Really good Italian. :)
See if you get a visit to the Walt Disney Family Museum in, it's at the Presidio and it's getting really great reviews.
As for what to bring, you'll want to bring sweatshirts and a jacket, it's pretty chilly in SF in the summer, winter is chillier. :) The weather in SF is usually in the 60s, rarely it gets warmer. Plan for chilly but bring something for warmer just in case.

BART will work great for you, you won't need to worry about safety. :)
My favorite restaurant in SF is the Stinking Rose. Really good Italian. :)
See if you get a visit to the Walt Disney Family Museum in, it's at the Presidio and it's getting really great reviews.
As for what to bring, you'll want to bring sweatshirts and a jacket, it's pretty chilly in SF in the summer, winter is chillier. :) The weather in SF is usually in the 60s, rarely it gets warmer. Plan for chilly but bring something for warmer just in case.

thanks! I remember needing sweatshirts in June, and really don't want to haul along my Iowa winter parka. I was thinking sweaters and a raincoat but may need to look into getting a fleece. I'm packing a hat/gloves for sure.

off to look up the Stinking Rose :)

Monicatb - check out the citypass option. It looks particularly well suited to families with kids. I'm thinking of getting it just for myself - it includes admission to several venues and is a multi-day Muni pass too. On the citypass website there is an option to sub a tour to Alcatraz for the bay cruise if you go thru the Alcatraz tour office. $59 adult/$39 kids

Thank you, I did buy it through Alcatraz. It was a big money saver. :thumbsup2

I'm lucky to be able to go to SF at least once every 12 - 18 months with DH (he's working). I spend a lot of time exploring the city and shopping by myself (or lately hanging out with DS). I normally buy a Muni pass when I'm there and make my way either on foot or by bus/trolley car.
I also catch the CalTrain out to San Mateo, Hillsdale, Stanford - as an alternative.

The BART is great to catch from SFO to downtown area - depending on where your hotel is and how far you have to carry your bag.

Here are some favourite places:
http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/slanted_door.php
Pan Pacific asian style, predominantly mixed with South East Asian cooking style. We love this place.

http://www.cafegratitude.com/
For something really alternative. This is a no/low-cook vegan restaurant. Most foods are served raw. I'm totally omnivorous but DH is vegetarian. This has got to be the BEST vegetarian restaurant I've ever eaten in any where in the world. We use the Muni bus to get out here.

Tommaso's for Italian in the North Beach area.
Cafe Trieste for coffee.

If you are planning to go shopping for non-chain stores, check out Union Street (yes, street; not square), Hayes Valley and Haight Ashbury.
Cafe Corbas in Hayes Valley make the best coffee I've had in SF.
If you're area North Beach, walk down Grant Street from Columbus towards Coit Tower area. There are about 2 or 3 small streets parallel with Grant that have cute shops. If you feel inclined to, I really love walking down/up Filbert Steps.

If you are in Pier 39, pick one of the restaurants that has a view as well as the menu that suits your $$. I don't particularly think anything is "outstanding" at the Pier - but the view cannot be beat.

I still haven't found a great chinese restaurant in Chinatown - but I was born in Malaysia and am particular about my Chinese/asian food.

I like going to Sausalito. When you get off the ferry, head to the right hand side. About 3 - 7 shops up on the opposite side of the road, there is hamburger flame grill shop. If you like burgers, these are pretty great.

For something quick, at the basement of Macy's in Union square is a Wolfgang Puck Express. Always good when you want something of quality.

Have FUN!

thanks PrincessinOz! great info :)

DH and I have been to Sausalito a couple times, it's fun to walk around. Last time we were there for a late lunch, we splurged at Poggio. Sat outside in the sunshine and had a leisurely Italian meal.

We've also eaten at Fisherman's Wharf - you are dead on with the description :) At the time we were so cold that getting warm indoors was our first goal - and the boozy coffee drink recommended by the waiter was just the thing :) My favorite meal at Fisherman's Wharf is to grab a steamed crab and a beer from the stands. touristy - yes. but hey, I'm from Iowa.

Ok - I see where you're staying - I'd walk straight up Powell street from the BART - and probably cut over at Geary and drop down to the hotel. The bad area starts right around Mason & OFarell down to Market and to the West.

It changes fast -- but I have walked all around and while I've felt uncomfortable I've never been directly threatened.

Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton with my fav Chef Ron Segal (known for beating Iron Chef Sakai in Lobster)
Masa's
Fleur de Lys
Michael Minas

Are all my top picks.

The Stinking Rose is good mid-ranged food

Disney Museum in the Presidio is a must do.

I highly recommend breakfast at Cafe Mason on Mason St. close to Union Square. The breakfast was one of the best I have ever had; homemade goodness, thick bacon and the best spinach crepes you could ever eat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter