San Francisco hotel recommendations

PlutoPony

DIS Veteran
Just booked tickets into SF at the end of July so now need to put the other pieces of the trip together. Do you think that staying in the Union Square area is a good idea in that it puts us fairly central to the usual tourist stuff and gives us good public transportation options (so we can let the rental car sit). We'll probably start off with a Segway tour to get a lay of the land (it's been years since we've been in SF and DS 14 has never been) then branch off to do whatever. Is there a better area to stay in? We'd like to stay < $200 night and right now that looks possible if we avoid the major 5 star hotels.

Also, has anyone been downtown when the SF Marathon is being run? Looks like we'll be there during that event. Should we avoid the whole area that day (maybe do Alcatraz then) or is it barely noticeable that it's going on?

Thanks a lot!

Just a heads up that parking in SF is expensive. Also, it is much less expensive to rent a car in the city than at the airport, better rates and fewer fees. My ressie for this coming week was about $120 for 5 days, almost $200less picking the car up in town and dropping off at airport than picking up at the airport (Alamo with Walmart code and $25 off e-coupon).

Here are a potential deal for you to check. Look around on this booking site for other deals.
http://www.hotelres.com/hoteltop.ph...st&utm_source=topaz&month=06&day=01&year=2009

Thank you thank you for the info on car rentals. I was really hoping to pick up in the City and drop off at SFO but was afraid the drop-off fee would be horrendous. So now we'll probably take BART from the airport in and then pick up a car mid-week when we leave to go towards Muir Woods/Sonoma.

Have you heard any feedback on Alcatraz and Segway tours? Those are the 2 things my son has requested in addition to a Giants game.

When are you going out?

No idea on Segway . . . Alcatraz is great. Get your tickets on-line so you can be certain you will get a boat. If you have good weather, consider renting bikes and going across the Golden Gate - BlazingSaddles.com - bike to Sausalito and ferry back.

By the way, be sure to shop for the car . . . many/most MouseSaver codes work in CA. Not all companies will allow a city pick up airport drop, at least not on their website. The rates really varied . . . I had an OK rate, then a few days later it went down more . . . since then up, up, up.

Leave manana

I would definitely book alcatraz ahead. I looked at the website, the marathon runs along the embarcadero, across the GG bridge through GG park and finishes back at the ferry building. this should only be a problem on that morning, so if you avoid the GG bridge and GG park and the ferry building you should be ok, it would not be a good morning to go to sonoma. Alcatraz ferries also happen to be on the embarcadero, but other than having to get there a little early so that you can cross over the marathon route, it shouldn't stop you.

Union Square is great for tourist stuff, BART access, bus lines, cable cars, shopping. It does tend to be a little expensive, but I wouldn't stray too far from there. if you're at union square, you will not need a car, except for the sonoma trip, in some other neighborhoods, you might feel like getting a car.

I would definately stay in Union Square it is so close to shopping, restaurants and public transpotation. If you are going to use public transportation you can buy a multi day passports good for the Muni system including the cable cars. They have 1/3/7 day passes check out www.sfmta.com for further on that. We usually stay at the Parc55, and have enjoyed it. It is also where the MLB teams stay when in town, so if you are in to baseball there is always a chance of running into some players. Have a great time. :goodvibes

Thanks for the advice! Think we are leaning towards Fisherman's Wharf area as it seems to be a little more centrally located for things we'll be doing and transportation. Plus I'm finding very good prices and quite a bit of availability for the end of July - ~$150/nite at the Courtyard by Marriott (cheaper than the Holiday Inn Express mentioned earlier).

Think we'll do a Segway tour to start; have talked to them and they don't expect any real problems with their tours on Marathon Day, especially by the afternoon.. Will definitely book Alcatraz in advance - thanks for that advice.

Current plan is to spend some time in SF then head north to Point Reyes area, then over to Sonoma/Napa. Any suggestions on what to do in that area? Am sure we'll take a swing thru Sausalito, and hit Muir Woods and the Point Reyes Lighthouse. Is Bodega Bay worth the drive?

Haven't been able to find any kind of a deal picking up a car downtown when we leave and dropping off at SFO. May have to go back to SFO to get it - but it's still cheaper than picking up a car when we land and paying to park it at the hotel for 4 days!

Giants game is on the bubble of do nor not. How long would it take to get from the park to SFO? We have an 11:30 pm red eye - could we see most of a 6pm game and then go to the airport?

Thanks again for the advice. Am sure I"ll be back with more questions......:)

Just back - although only one night in SF, great rate for a good hotel (Adagio near Union Square) through http://www.hotelres.com/index.php, check it out, they have a number of options as well as a link to a Napa reservation site that also had good prices.

You might want to keep car rental shopping . . . used the Walmart code from Alamo and the $25 off E-coupon (see MouseSavers) . . . $115 including fees for five days. BTW, when I was shopping, costs varied by location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter