San Francisco Experts: Need 2 day itinerary

hobbit

Aussie going to DL May 11-14th
If there is anyone here who is knowledgable about San Fransciso, would you mind giving us a suggested 2 day itinerary. We are 2 fit adults and one child aged 9, and will be there late May. We're more into being outdoors, rather than inside in museums etc. We want to include Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge. And where is the best place to view the GGB?

thanks!

Assuming this is your first trip to SF, I'd suggest the following:
Purchase a 3 day MUNI Pass/passport. They are about US$20 per person for the 3 day pass. All MUNI transport including the Cable Cars are included in the price. A 90 minute ticket on the MUNI is about $1.50 - $2.00 (can't remember the exact price) and a one-way ride on the Cable Car is $5 per person. The MUNI transport will get you to most places. You can buy this pass at the Cable Car turnaround at Market and Powell.

Take a Cable car ride to Fisherman's Wharf. You can get off at Lombard Street to check out the crookedest street. Should be pretty in May, if the hydrangeas are blooming. Either get back on the Cable Car or if your 9 year old is a good walker, walk down to the Wharf. Check out shops and Giradelli Square - towards Pier 39. Check out the outdoor food/chowder places. Catch the ferry to Alcatraz at Pier 41? Make sure you get the headsets at Alcatraz.

Spend some time at Pier 39.

Take the F-line tram back towards downtown. If the Farmer's Market is out, stop at the Ferry Building. If you stay on the F line, you'll end up at the Castro. I went by myself mid-week and it was pretty quiet. Might be different at the weekend...but I don't think you'll miss much by not going to the Castro.

Get off at Stockton. Walk South of Market towards Yerba Buena Gardens. It's pretty nice there and your child might like to run around the gardens. Check out the Martin Luther King water feature. There's also a carousel and a children's centre there.

Spend some time walking down Chinatown - Grant Street. You could catch the No 9, 30 or 45 down Stockton and walk the block over to Grant. Grant will eventually cross over at Columbus, where Little Italy is. It is a long walk but I've done it with my then 6 year old son (with lots of stops).

Go to Washington Square and visit the church there. From there, walk up Filbert STreet towards Coit Tower. I think it is worth paying the money to visit the top of the tower; but others might disagree. I also like walking down the otherside of Coit Tower towards Levi plaza. If you walk down this way you'll end up at Sansome St (one way street). The no 10 takes you towards North Pointe and Fisherman's Wharf. Go across Levi Plaza towards Battery St (one way street) to catch the No 10 back into the downtown area.

The 6, 7 or 71 will take you to Haight Ashbury. You catch these from Market (check the top of the bus stops for the numbers).

The 21 will take you to Alamo Square where the Painted Ladies are. Again you can catch this from Market.

I love Golden Gate Park. You can catch the 5 down Market/McCalister.
i also like the Presidio. You can catch the 30 down Stockton which ends at the Exploratorium.

If you have a car, its worth driving to the Golden Gate Bridge. Make sure you stop off at both the Fort Point end (my preferred end of the bridge) and the Marin County side. Otherwise, you could walk the Bridge.

I also like going to Sausalito. Either drive there when you're across the bridge or catch a ferry from Pier 41.

I also prefer to catch the Cable Car down California Street - less hectic and you're guaranteed of a seat - than the Hyde/Powell route. The turnaround is at California and Market; near the Ferry Building (walkable from the Ferry Building).

You'll see the bridge from the Cable Car, Fisherman's Wharf and up the Coit Tower; from the Ferry, the Presidio and if you walk it. I like seeing the bridge from Fort Point.

Should be enough for 2 days?

Wow, thanks Princessinoz ... and from a fellow aussie as well! :-) I am printing your itinerary out now.

If the nine year old is a good bicyclist, consider renting bikes, riding across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito and return to SF by ferry . . . you can use the bikes all day.

I'm an overweight 60 y.o. and found it quite enjoyable. Alternatively, you could buy an adult and child RT ferry ticket, rent one bike and do a "baby swap" so each adult gets to ride the bridge.

Blazing Saddles rents bikes and sells the ferry tickets . . . Google (or Bing) them.

I really enjoyed the night tour of Alcatraz . . . you can purchase Alcatraz tickets in advance on line. Tours were sold out relatively early in the day when we made our trip.

We also did a free walking tour - they are operated by the public library and were about 1 - 1 1/2 hour. I found them on line . . . I don't know whether they will take children.

Sounds like a great idea, and our son could easily ride over the bridge. Thank you!

We are going this weekend for 4 days :cheer2:

the muni is $2 for 90 minutes or like PrincessinOz said you can buy multi day passes

Also, the zoo and the beaches near the zoo are nice, Golden Gate Park is a gem to explore.

The walking tours allow children and are free - San Francisco City Guides -
www.sfcityguides.org

We do like museums and asst. brain candy and will be purchasing City Passes that include Alcatraz.

Our plans:
China Town w/City Guide walking tour
Coit Tower
Ft. Point
City Guide Bridge tour and then a drive over the bridge to explore Pt. Bonita and Rodeo Beach (N. side of bridge) my family will make me walk out onto the bridge (I hate bridges)
Exploratorium
Calif Academy of Sciences
Alcatraz/Wharf and Aquarium at the Pier

I love San Francisco - enjoy

Hey! As a native, and seeing the City out my window right now, where I need to commute to soon! Those are all good suggestions BUT here are a few other tips.

I personally never ride Muni. It is dirty, runs people down and is crime ridden. There have been a rash of robberies of young thugs snatching peoples iphones, itouches, ipods or blackberries. Not to scare you but you need to be aware of this. Some crazy people ride that bus! Be aware of your surroundings.

BART is good if you are just doing the financial district but don't get off on the Market station. WAY scary!

The cable cars are fine as are the cabs. I would stay on the edges (financial district, chinatown, little Italy, the Wharf and you should be fine since that is where most of the large hotels and tourists are.

Alzatraz is cool but you need to book tickets in advance.

Here is something TOTALLY cool, just coming over from London, and right by the Ferry Building (which is also a MUST DO).
http://www.peterpantheshow.com/

I am sooo going to see that! It looks wonderful. Been watching them put up the tents from the office window.

Remember to dress in layers. Mark Twain didn't say "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" for nothing.

Fort Point (down at the bottom of the Golden Gate bridge) is nice but COLD!

Check out the Disney Museum at the Presidio! Here is my review on my blog:
http://sargentspeaks.wordpress.com/2010/03/27/the-walt-disney-family-museum-the-presidio/

You can also take the ferry to Sausalito or Angel Island, which are lovely.

If you are drinkers, the Buena Vista over by Ghirardelli Square is where Irish Coffees were invented and they have a killer brunch. Affordable as well for San Francisco.

The Exploratorium at Golden Gate might be cool for your son: http://www.exploratorium.edu/ AND Golden Gate Park has some lovely things as well. Unfortunatly Tut just left a few days ago for New York.

The Zoo is nice and it is over by the ocean: http://www.sfzoo.org/openrosters/view_homepage.asp?orgkey=1859

Hope this helps!

I personally never ride Muni. It is dirty, runs people down and is crime ridden. There have been a rash of robberies of young thugs snatching peoples iphones, itouches, ipods or blackberries. Not to scare you but you need to be aware of this. Some crazy people ride that bus! Be aware of your surroundings.

BART is good if you are just doing the financial district but don't get off on the Market station. WAY scary!

I respectfully have to disagree about Muni. I rode Muni both by bus and by "muni"(train) everyday for four years and never had a problem. This was from ages 18-22, being a young white female. Sure, bad things can happen, as they do in any major city. But I truly believe that it's safe for tourists who keep their wits about them. Main tips are: Be respectful of other's space, keep your children by your side, and try to have a good idea of where you are going before you board the bus. Myself included, I have seen many people on muni who are happy to help tourists with directions/or when to get off.

I think that the main problems with Muni have to do with riders who take up more than one seat with their bags, and those who are completely unaware of their surroundings(i.e. headphones on and oblivious!) As the previous poster said, Muni has a history of hitting pedestrians, but so do many SF drivers...so look both ways when crossing the street, and please don't try to catch the light when the red hand is flashing.

One last thing, the Market Street/Powell station is not scary in the least. All of the exits will put you in safe areas near major shopping outlets and tourist areas. In fact, the Powell station filters directly into our beautiful new mall, with Bloomingdales as the flagship store. I highly recommend this station, as you can transfer easily to the Powell Street cable car. Train stations to avoid would be Civic Center and Van Ness, as they are not tourist type areas(albeit City Hall).

Now, some ideas..

***Take the "L" Train out to the San Francisco Zoo and Ocean Beach. This Muni train will take you all the way out to the ocean, and drop you off a block away from the Zoo. Be aware that there is a slight temperature change from downtown to the Sunset District, and a light coat is always a good idea.

***Baker Beach (on a sunny day) has amazing views of the Golden Gate Bridge and is a great place for a picnic. You will also see the Seacliff homes, many of which house celebrities like Robin Williams. Don't stray too far towards the bridge, however, or you'll end up with an eyeful of nude beach! :woohoo:

***The Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park is a great place to roam, and has plenty for children to be in awe of. This is also near the De Young Museum which has outstanding views of the city in its tall tower, and the Academy of Sciences. But, if you guys really aren't museum type people, the high prices of the museums will be a turn-off.

***In Golden Gate Park you can rent old time looking bicycle cars(4-6 seaters). These can be rented by the boathouse, where you can also rent peddle and paddle boats for hour usage.

***Catch a Giants game. You can ride the muni train just a short distance from the Powell Street Station and be dropped off right in front of the ballpark. There are a lot of kid activities, and the views of the bay are phenomenal. Plus, garlic fries and Gordon Biersch. mmm. :thumbsup2

***If you have a pretty penny to spare, Teatro Zinzani is an unbelievably fun and interactive dinner show along the Pier's "F" Line, which highlights antique street cars.

If you want to see "real San Francisco" neighborhoods, I would recommend catching a cab or riding the bus to Noe Valley, Mission Dolores(beautiful and sunny park which hosts monthly movie nights), or the Marina/Cow Hollow district(which has numerous cafes and stores on Union Street).

In reality, San Francisco is a very small and friendly city. You will be able to accomplish a lot in just two days. Have fun, and don't be afraid of Muni, just be aware :goodvibes

Thanks so much. I've made a note of your tips in my special US trip file :)

We had a great time - didn't make it to Coit Tower or the Exploratorium, but I have booked another trip for July. Only drove the one day we went North of the bridge to Point Bonita and Rodeo & Muir Beaches.
Alcatraz was amazing, the day was beautiful so that helped.

The City Guides walking tours were great! Interesting, fascinating, educational and not too long. We did tours of ChinaTown and the Bridge, the tour walked us to the center of the bridge which really is an amazing experience and I hate heights and bridges but I sucked it up.
Ft. Point was very interesting and we spent a couple of hours there following our tour - that was the only free parking we found the entire trip.

California Academy of Sciences was very nice BUT as my DD said, not interactive enough. She prefers the Exploratorium.

Aquarium of the Bay (Pier 39) IMO is only worth a visit if you are using CityPass otherwise I don't personally think it is worth the price of admission.

We took Muni & Cable Cars everywhere and not once did we feel uncomfortable. We took one cab and that was from ChinaTown to Ghirardelli Sq. after dark and we didn't want to wander around ChinaTown to the bus stop. We even took muni from Ghid. Sq. to our hotel on Lombard in Cow Hollow at 9 at night - no worries.

Market and Powell is where the cable car turnarounds are to head to the wharf, there are lots of homeless/street people but also lots of cops. Again, no issues, it is a city and there are all kinds of people out and about. Be smart, be aware of your surroundings etc. It is not WDW it is a city, but a beautiful vibrant city!

We enjoyed lunch and then again dinner at the Washington St. Bakery and Restaurant in ChinaTown, also had dinner (twice :goodvibes) at Barneys Gourmet Hamburgers on Steiner in Cow Hollow, yummmm.
Breakfast at Home Plate and Mels, both on Lombard & Steiner (Cow Hollow)
Dessert at the Ghirardelli shop was a must, I highly recommend a hot fudge sundae with chocolate ice cream and a side of peanut butter! The PB is hot and gooey, OMG it was decadent!

Anyway, happy planning - when we go back in July it is a quick trip with my DD and a friend and her DD - we are headed to the Exploratorium and to the DeYoung Museum.

We enjoyed lunch and then again dinner at the Washington St. Bakery and Restaurant in ChinaTown, also had dinner (twice :goodvibes) at Barneys Gourmet Hamburgers on Steiner in Cow Hollow, yummmm.
Breakfast at Home Plate and Mels, both on Lombard & Steiner (Cow Hollow)
I am so going to have to go the Barneys Gourmet Hamburgers on Steiner in Cow Hollow on my next trip (I normally just stick to Chestnut and Union). I'm a sucker for a good burger....thanks for the tip.
:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter