San Diego Zoo vs. Wild Animal Park

RIFamily

Earning My Ears
I was wondering if anyone could tell me which park we should visit. With the City Pass, you have to choose one. We also want to do SeaWorld and only want to travel down to San Diego twice from Anaheim. My kids will be 12, 16 & 17 at the time - which park do you think they would prefer? Thanks in advance for any input!

Hi!

I grew up in the city where the Wild Animal Park is, and visited that and the zoo often. I have to say I *much* prefer the Wild Animal Park! It is MUCH bigger, and more relaxed. The animals have much bigger areas to roam. Also, there is a tram ride that I think is still included with admission that winds you through many different areas to see animals from each of the different continents. I strongly vote for Wild Animal Park!!! Let us know which one you choose and how you like it.

Have fun! :wave2:

Having been to both on several occasions, I would agree that my vote would go to the Wild Animal Park.

We chose the Zoo, and because we didn't see the wild animal park, I'm not really qualified to comment.

But the reason we chose the Zoo was because it contains animals you won't see at just about any other zoo anywhere in the world - pandas! They are also one of the few zoos allowed to have koalas and they also have other rare animals like mountain gorillas.

All were superbly displayed and easily seen.

I prefer the Zoo over the Wild Animal Park. The Zoo is gorgeously landscaped and has a wider variety of animals than the Wild Animal Park. You also have better viewing of the animals at the Zoo. I have found many of the animals at the Wild Animal Park to be at a distance from the public viewing areas. The Zoo can be navigated on foot, bus, or ---my favorite--the SkyFari. The SkyFari provides a stunning view of the Zoo, Balboa Park, city skyline, and harbor. I just love the San Diego Zoo!

The Zoo is located in Balboa Park, which is one of the finest urban parks in the world. If you do go to the Zoo, be sure to stroll through Balboa Park and enjoy the architecture and gardens. If you have the time, I highly recommend a stop at the Ruben H Fleet Space Theater for an IMAX movie. It's the best IMAX theater I have seen.

If I had the choice of one, I'd do the zoo. Seeing the pandas was great (my suggestion - do that first!) and the area is beautiful. There are also many things to do in Balboa park.

Note though that if on foot, the terrain is very hilly.

Wild Animal Park is great as well, but I found the zoo a little bit of a fuller day.

Note on a hot day, I'd definitely pick the zoo as it offers much more cover.

The zoo has a greater variety of animals and you can see them more close up. The WAP has a smaller variety, but they are in a more natural habitat and are more wild. They are also in greater numbers. I love both, for different reasons.

They are such different experiences. For me it comes down to this question, "What animals do I want to see?"

Pandas, koalas, hippos, tigers, elephants, polar bears, monkeys, and birds = San Diego Zoo

Rhinos, elephants, California condors, gorillas, cheetahs, lions, gazelle and other hoof animals, hidden jungle, feed lorikeets and hand feed giraffe = Wild Animal Park

If it is a hot day, I pick the zoo

If I don't feel like walking too much, I pick WAP

Wow---that is a tough, tough call.

I would consider your family "zoo history". If you've been to major national zoos in the recent past, it makes a difference in my suggestion. SDZ is an awesome zoo with great exhibits, and very varied landscape, and is a full day event. However, if you live near (or visit often) a major zoo, you have had access to most of those animals.

The SDWAP is an experience like no other, IMO. The relaxed ability to really study the animals in natural habitat, as opposed to a small cage enclosure, is very interesting. Feeding the giraffes is a major highlight for us, and looking for the lions in their enclosure is like a treasure hunt!

So if you go to a lot of zoos, go to the WAP---it's a much more exotic experience, and you can truly learn about animal habitats firsthand. If you like to quickly "graze" past many different animals in smaller enclosures, go to the zoo.

I don't think I've helped you at all! You have an enviable choice to make!

If you go to the zoo definately go see the pandas first! We went around 3 pm and there was a 2 hour line!!! When we saw the line earlier in the day we thought it was for the tour busses. We ended up missing the pandas because we just had nothing left in us to wait 2 hours in the hot sun!

We just came back after spending two days in San Diego and four in Anaheim.

I know you didn't ask but Sea World in itself can take an entire day. It is best to plan your day around the shows and then see the other exhibits. I was a bit sad that the polar bears were off exhibit when we went though.

We left SD and drove to the WAP as we have a two zoos here in Phoenix. I really enjoyed the WAP, but after you do the train ride around, there is not that much to do unless you pay extra for the opportunity to feed the giraffes. (which I can do here at one of my zoos) We left thinking we wished we had done the SD Zoo instead maybe just to have seen the Pandas.

Flagger said:
I really enjoyed the WAP, but after you do the train ride around, there is not that much to do unless you pay extra for the opportunity to feed the giraffes. (which I can do here at one of my zoos) We left thinking we wished we had done the SD Zoo instead maybe just to have seen the Pandas.

It's true that if you want to see pandas, you must choose the zoo. However, I really disagree with the notion that there isn't much to do at the WAP after riding the tram. There are many smaller enclosures to walk around and observe besides the tram ride. They have tigers, koalas, and other animals too.

If you like, you can go to the parks' websites and peruse the exhibits. I was just looking over WAP's site: (sorry, I wanted to give the address to you, but the site isn't letting me.)

fyi in case you didn't know that the SDZ and WAP are jointly operated, so you can easily navigate to each of the websites from the other one. Let us know which you decide! :)

I will be staying in downtown San Diego early next year and will probably have time to do both. How far is WAP from downtown ? Is it hard to find?

It's about 45 minutes away. It's not that hard to find, but it's not right next to the freeway. Take the 163 north to I-15 north. Exit at Via Rancho Parkway--turn right. From there it's about 6 miles and you can follow the signs.

I posted this and then didn't get to come back and check until now. What GREAT information you all have given! I do agree, it will be a tough choice. We are from RI so we don't have any large zoos here but we do have the Roger Williams Zoo. We have done the safari at WDW and have seen animals in their natural habitat (although it is a continuous ride). Anyway, thanks SO much for your input and I think I am leaning towards the zoo. NOW we will just have to find a nice place to eat before we drive back to Anaheim :o)

This was posted by someone who traveled to SD frequently when I said I would be going on this trip

Your DD should like Seal Rock (or whatever it is called), and there is a nice little cove where she can go in the water. I haven't been there in over a dozen years, but there was a niftly little place called Jose's up on the main drag that also had reasonably priced food and a nice atmosphere.

Another good place I remember just north of SD, in the Del Mar area was a little mexican restaurant called Fidel's... some of the best Mex I have ever had. It was in a rough neighborhood, but was well worth the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter