• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

San Diego Zoo vs. SeaWorld

tinkerbell731

Earning My Ears
During our vacation this summer, we will have approximately 5 hours in the San Diego area. We are trying to choose between going to the San Diego Zoo and SeaWorld in San Diego- we have never been to the area before. Any advice? :thumbsup2

A single day adult ticket to Sea World is $84 (I wouldn't go there anyway, but that's not what you asked, so never mind) and the zoo is $46. I'm sure there are discounts, but I wouldn't pay that for less than 5 hours once you factor in travel time, parking, and everything. I would probably find a nice local restaurant, or go to Seaport Village, Coronado Island, a local beach or some other area like Old Town which are nice for a few hours, but not a whole day trip. Will the races be running in Del Mar when you're there? If your 5 hours coincide with the post times, that can be fun too.

The San Diego Zoo is awesome and also HUGE! I agree that I'm not sure I'd pay to visit either place with only 5 hours. We haven't done Sea World there, but I know the other Sea Worlds we have visited also take all day to see. I guess if you don't mind spending the money, I'd go for the zoo. Just read up on what's not to miss and hit the highlights.

SeaWorld is an all day park. For the most part, you can see 90% or so of the Zoo in 5 hours (I squally recommend 4-6 hours. There are discounts for AAA members, or if you are staying in the SoCal area, you can usually find coupons. Look at the website www.sandiegozoo.org and plan ahead, to make sure you get to see the animals you want. If you need more info, you can pm me, as I work in Guest Services for the San Diego Zoo.

Zoo is way better than SeaWorld. Not sure if it's worth your only 5 hours in San Diego (this is being said by someone who goes to the zoo 2-3 times a week, sometimes for just an hour). That said, you could see enough of the zoo in that amount of time and fee like you for your money's worth.

SeaWorld is an all day park. For the most part, you can see 90% or so of the Zoo in 5 hours (I squally recommend 4-6 hours. There are discounts for AAA members, or if you are staying in the SoCal area, you can usually find coupons. Look at the website www.sandiegozoo.org and plan ahead, to make sure you get to see the animals you want. If you need more info, you can pm me, as I work in Guest Services for the San Diego Zoo.

:thumbsup2

After visiting both in July, I would vote zoo. There is no parking charge while there is one at Sea World. But as the pp said, after you factor in any travel time may not be worth the trip. If it is the only time you will be in that area, then I say go for it. You will get to see quite a bit.

During our vacation this summer, we will have approximately 5 hours in the San Diego area. We are trying to choose between going to the San Diego Zoo and SeaWorld in San Diego- we have never been to the area before. Any advice? :thumbsup2

San Diego Zoo! The newborn baby panda and giraffes are quite a sight. Plus after watching The documentary Blackfish I will be unable to return nor support sea world.

San Diego Zoo! The newborn baby panda and giraffes are quite a sight. Plus after watching The documentary Blackfish I will be unable to return nor support sea world.

Please keep in mind, the baby panda is now 19 months, and is now considered an adult, and is now on his own. We do have two adorable giraffes that are less than a year old, and two koala joeys that are just starting to crawl out of Moms pouch.

I'd far prefer go to SeaWorld. So much more to see and do. It is a full day park with funs shows, a few great rides and numerous aquariums and other marine exhibits. Feeding the sea lions and mantra rays is fun for kids.

However, with only 5 hours I'd probably opt for the zoo since you'd miss too much at Sea World and feel rushed. It's one of the top zoos. I generally prefer the Safari Park to the north of San Diego as you can get closer to the Animals and its a far more natural setting but there is more to see at the zoo.

Speaking of Blackfish, which I saw, and I am also very ANTI orca-captivity, did you hear about the California bill that would outlaw orca shows? I love the idea and cross my fingers that something like this would pass one day.

Moving this to our So Cal theme parks board.

Between the zoo and Sea World, I would choose the zoo, and I recommend getting the tour that will drive you around. You can visit specific exhibits after getting a lay of the land, as it were. Note that the zoo is built on hilly ground, so there will be a lot of walking around.

Enjoy. :)

I cannot support sea world (I'm another weirdo who thinks that whales must live in the ocean as opposed to a fish tank), but I do love the San Diego Zoo. It is a huge zoo, though, and I'm not sure I'd want to rush it. There are so many nice areas of San Diego to simply explore. My favorite thing to do in that area is actually to go to La Jolla, see the seals who live on that beach, have a meal in one of the nice restaurants, walk on the beach, window shop... nice place! The park that the zoo is in (Balboa Park) is a really stunning park, as well. There's a huge model train museum in the park that is really fun (especially if you have some kids with you, but even if you don't it is kind of neat) in the park.

I cannot support sea world (I'm another weirdo who thinks that whales must live in the ocean as opposed to a fish tank), but I do love the San Diego Zoo.

Big animals should live out in the wild as well and not a tiny confined area. A similar movie could easily be made regarding most zoo's in the country. Improvements are needed in both and I enjoy both! I'm headed to SW, Zoo and Safari park in a couple weeks. They're all great parks!

IMO, you can't watch Blackfish without watching Sea World's response. Documentaries are biased. My hairdresser (when I was 10-17) had a sister that worked with the orcas. And was pinned. She loved her job and the animals. She NEVER felt like Sea World, or the trainers, were doing the wrong thing.

With about 5 hours, I'd do the Zoo. You can see a lot and don't feel like you are "missing out" on the shows, like at Sea World.

After out experience at sea world I will never go back there. I'd go to the zoo. The way the shows are scheduled at sea world you would have to be there all day to see anything.

Big animals should live out in the wild as well and not a tiny confined area. A similar movie could easily be made regarding most zoo's in the country. Improvements are needed in both and I enjoy both! I'm headed to SW, Zoo and Safari park in a couple weeks. They're all great parks!

:thumbsup2 I've been a donor to the Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee for years but I love "good" zoos, I think they expose kids and adults to amazing animals and people care more when it's personal. Fortunately many zoos are providing much better enclosures than they did in the past.

IMO, you can't watch Blackfish without watching Sea World's response. Documentaries are biased.

:thumbsup2 I just finished watching Sea Rescue and The Wildlife Docs this morning before opening this thread. Sea World and Busch Gardens save thousands of animals and birds and that's only possible because of the income from the parks. From what I've seen both SW and BG take really good care of their animals and a lot of good comes from it.

OP, I think if I only had 5 hours I'd go to the zoo, you'd miss to much at SW.

Id go to sea world even for 5 hours you would still have fun.

I don't like nor believe all this we need to ban Orca shows Bull , and the city of Cali has already vetoed the bill or something. It will not pass. If you don't want to go because your against it fine, but don't mess something up for every one else and our kids because of your beliefs.

Don't go to sea world, don't go to the animal park don't go to the zoo.

Because with your beliefs you should ban all those places from your vacations. Have fun where animals are not at and have a good life with your kids. I am taking my son to sea world. He loves the place and I know for a fact that sea world does a lot of good in the world and with out the parks income they could not help the environment.

IMO, you can't watch Blackfish without watching Sea World's response. Documentaries are biased. My hairdresser (when I was 10-17) had a sister that worked with the orcas. And was pinned. She loved her job and the animals. She NEVER felt like Sea World, or the trainers, were doing the wrong thing.

With about 5 hours, I'd do the Zoo. You can see a lot and don't feel like you are "missing out" on the shows, like at Sea World.

I agree Blackfish is biased, as were all of the arguments for ending human slavery during that era.
There are arguments on both sides.
But I have yet to see an argument that makes me feel ok about giving any of my money to an organization that treats highly intelligent animals like slaves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter