San Diego Zoo question

Thanks Erin! Your current presentations remind me of the pre-show presentations at "Flights of Wonder" in Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World. But you are much prettier than the cast members we have seen at that show.

Thanks Erin! Your current presentations remind me of the pre-show presentations at "Flights of Wonder" in Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World. But you are much prettier than the cast members we have seen at that show.

LOL that's because they ARE the same presentations! The bird show that I did at the zoo in 2009 and 2010 was privately contracted and the company that I worked for is the same company that does "Flights of Wonder" at WDW (as well as other bird shows throughout the country). When our contract in SD ended, a lot of my co-workers (and birds :( ) went back to WDW while I was lucky enough to get hired on at the SD Zoo (I am married and my husband is stationed in San Diego, so I couldn't go back to WDW with them).

SonnyJane -That's great the shows are similar. My kids like Flights of Wonder. We will have to stop by. I have been wanting to go to San Diego Zoo since I was 7. We can't wait. Have you been to the Bronx zoo?

SonnyJane -That's great the shows are similar. My kids like Flights of Wonder. We will have to stop by. I have been wanting to go to San Diego Zoo since I was 7. We can't wait. Have you been to the Bronx zoo?

Well the shows WERE similar when I still worked for that company, but now that I work for the zoo my staff went from 14 to 2, myself included lol, so we do things on a much smaller scale now. What we do now I'd probably label as "meet and greets". And no, I've never been to the Bronx Zoo! Enjoy your visit!

Hi Erin--- I am going to be at the zoo this Monday afternoon (our 1st stop on our 10 day So Cali adventure). :cool1::cool1::cool1: Anyway, are there any tips you have for a later afternoon visit? We will be getting there between 230pm -3pm. Are there certain exhibits that close earlier than others? Should we do the bus tour 1st thing or?? It is myself and my 17 yr old. We can stay to close... Anything you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Jill

Hi Erin--- I am going to be at the zoo this Monday afternoon (our 1st stop on our 10 day So Cali adventure). :cool1::cool1::cool1: Anyway, are there any tips you have for a later afternoon visit? We will be getting there between 230pm -3pm. Are there certain exhibits that close earlier than others? Should we do the bus tour 1st thing or?? It is myself and my 17 yr old. We can stay to close... Anything you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Jill

I believe the pandas close earlier than the other exhibits, but I couldn't give you an exact time. Maybe 5 or 6? The problem with the pandas is if you can't make it before 11, there is about a 45-60 minute wait to see them on most summer afternoons. You can walk by and see what the line looks like, but I always joke that you can go in the gift shop and look at the stuffed panda without waiting and it will move just as much as the real one ;)

The bus tour is a great way to start off because then you know what you want to target later on. Unfortunately since you won't arrive until 2:30 or so, you will miss me ;) Check your map though when you get there. Because it's Nighttime Zoo there are tons of things going on. I clock out at 3 so I can't vouch for them, lol, but they exist hah!

May I jump in with a few additional zoo questions? We will have 2 small kids. Is it okay to bring in sippy cups for them? Do they have to be empty or can I go ahead and bring them with milk or juice? Are juice boxes allowed (here our zoo doesn't allow straws). Are snacks/food moderately priced and are their lots of choices or should I bring snacks for the kids and simply plan for lunch there. We will be coming from DisneyLand on the bustour through GreyLine for the day in August.

May I jump in with a few additional zoo questions? We will have 2 small kids. Is it okay to bring in sippy cups for them? Do they have to be empty or can I go ahead and bring them with milk or juice? Are juice boxes allowed (here our zoo doesn't allow straws). Are snacks/food moderately priced and are their lots of choices or should I bring snacks for the kids and simply plan for lunch there. We will be coming from DisneyLand on the bustour through GreyLine for the day in August.

Hey there! From our website:

"Can I bring food into the parks?"
"Guests may bring personal food items into our parks. Large food storage containers such as coolers are not permitted on grounds, and no facilities are available for food storage.

For the convenience of guests, there are picnic areas located outside the Zoo’s main entrance and near the Safari Park’s entry plaza within easy walking distance of our parking lots. Zoo and Park guests who have already entered our parks may get their hand stamped for re-entry on the same day of their visit during park operating hours. Our education department makes special accommodations for school groups who have set up their visit as part of our ongoing programs. For the safety of guests and the animals in our care, please do not bring glass, alcohol, or straws into our parks."

As you can see, we do ask that you not bring straws. If you could buy the mini bottles of juice at the store instead of juice boxes with the straw, that would be awesome :) Nobody will stop you for bringing in juice boxes - we don't check bags at the front, but we do discourage straws (and encourage recycling when you're done with the bottle!).

There are a LOT of food options at the zoo. Our food is actually really good. I recommend Canyon Cafe, Sabertooth Grill, or SDZ Sandwich Co. It's priced a little cheaper than Sea World and Disneyland, but obviously still more expensive than McDonald's. This link will show you the many dining options and the menus: http://www.sandiegozoo.org/zoo/dining Unfortunately it looks like the menus don't have prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter