San Diego to DLR

ct7878

Mouseketeer
We are considering doing the Panama Canal cruise later this year for our 3 years old birthday and trying to think through logistics. Has anyone been able to find transfers from the port to DLR? With having a toddler, schlepping everyone to the airport to get a rental car sounds horrible and then I really don’t want to pay to park it once I get there so would really rather not have it. I really can not believe that Disney does not offer transfers, like they do at Port Canaveral! This would be such a welcome addition!

We are considering doing the Panama Canal cruise later this year for our 3 years old birthday and trying to think through logistics. Has anyone been able to find transfers from the port to DLR? With having a toddler, schlepping everyone to the airport to get a rental car sounds horrible and then I really don’t want to pay to park it once I get there so would really rather not have it. I really can not believe that Disney does not offer transfers, like they do at Port Canaveral! This would be such a welcome addition!

San Diego is quite a bit farther from Anaheim than Port Canaveral from DW. Conservatively a 1.5h drive (94 miles) (65 miles from DW to PC).

There are a few options available to you though. One even mentioned by Disney here: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/en-ca/guest-services/transportation/

Search for "Santa Fe depot". Amtrak has their main San Diego train station just outside the port terminal, so walk off the ship, onto a train, and up to anaheim, which is only a few blocks from Disneyland, and there is an easy bus.

Trains are very chill, and pretty cheap too.

Unlike WDW they do not have the to and from passenger traffic which is probably why. With Port Canaveral the buses that take you to the Resorts are also taking passengers to the ship.

The rental car is off-site and really near the port. Since the ship docks right downtown one person could debark a little earlier and grab an uber and come back for everyone else. The rest of the family can wait for luggage tag to be called during this time. Alternatively, you can all debark together. Right across the way is the waterfront park for the littles. They can splash in the water or just play in the playground, while waiting for you to return.
There's the Amtrak as an option too but personally I don't like it. They tend to be behind schedule and you still have to find transportation from the train depot to DLR. Getting to the train station in San Diego is walking distance, though.

We had this plan with the infamous PC cruise in the Spring of 2020. We ended up planning to rent a car one way from SD to Anaheim. I think it was through Alamo. They had a car rental place nearest to DL. My husband was going to leave the ship early and Uber it to the car rental place and then pick us up at the port. He was then going to drop us off at the resort and return the car. This appeared to be the quickest and easiest way to get from point A to point B. Also, no parking fees. We were then going to fly home from John Wayne airport. Of course, we never got to put it into practice! 🤪

We like the Amtrak train (Pacific Surfliner), but they’ve had significant track maintenance issues since last fall. At last check they are back to full service on weekends, but during the week you need to take a bus for part of the trip, which is likely a non-starter for most people (us included). So be sure to check the Amtrak website for updates if you’re considering this.

How do you get from the Amtrak station in Anaheim to DLR? The ART website doesn't mention whether luggage is allowed on the buses or whether there's space for it.

How do you get from the Amtrak station in Anaheim to DLR? The ART website doesn't mention whether luggage is allowed on the buses or whether there's space for it.
We’ve always just taken an Uber.

I've done two Panama Canal cruises that ended in San Diego along with my most recent cruise doing a round trip from San Diego. Everyone is correct about DCL not having transfers in San Diego. There's the train like other OP'ers but if you're locals like me, a rental car is the away to go. I'm not sure if you all would like to take a shuttle to Anaheim due to the long drive

Just want to echo what others have said, Pacific Surfliner is beautiful and pleasant but nearly always delayed. You should assume it could be 1-2h behind schedule (and it can occasionally be more)…unless you’re running late in which case it is on time or slightly early.

Also, if renting a car, keep in mind freeway traffic can be ugly on weekday AMs from about 7-10…it’s usually better early on the weekends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter