San Diego Question

kcbonnies

Earning My Ears
I live on the east coast and am considering the 7 day cruise out of San Diego in April. The cruise returns on a Sunday which lines up perfect with the kids school break. But being in a town where you need to connect flights, it looks like a 10:30 am flight home is the best option to have the kids back in school Monday morning. It looks like the port is only 5 minutes from the airport. So my question is this: Has anyone cruised out of San Diego and is it likely that we will be able to make a 10:30 flight? I know we run the potential for delays but how likely is it in San Diego? And is the airport really that close?

We haven't been yet but have just booked so have been reading about it a lot and yes the airport is really close. I'm hoping to book a flight for around 11am if possible.

The airport is slightly further away than that, but no more than about 20 minutes via a car service. Sunday morning traffic is light. Your greater concern will be a late debarkation, since San Diego often starts late.

I live on the east coast and am considering the 7 day cruise out of San Diego in April. The cruise returns on a Sunday which lines up perfect with the kids school break. But being in a town where you need to connect flights, it looks like a 10:30 am flight home is the best option to have the kids back in school Monday morning. It looks like the port is only 5 minutes from the airport. So my question is this: Has anyone cruised out of San Diego and is it likely that we will be able to make a 10:30 flight? I know we run the potential for delays but how likely is it in San Diego? And is the airport really that close?

The airport really is that close, but you’ll also want to factor in picking up your luggage, clearing customs, waiting for a cab, sitting in traffic near the port (not horrible, but still a factor), checking in at the airport, clearing security, and getting a bite to eat before your flight.

A 10:30 AM flight is cutting it a little close and wouldn’t leave a lot of room for delays... but... if you hand-carried your luggage off the ship and debarked at the first opportunity, you could probably make it. It would make for a very rushed last morning of the cruise.

You may want to carry off your own bags from the ship. That should get you off the ship and on your way by 8:00am depending on the ship clearing customs. That would be enough time to catch a taxi or a shuttle to the airport.

Definitely doable, but carry your bags off. Grab a taxi and it is not far from the port, especially on a Sunday.

Wouldn't recommend trying it - Disney recommends 11:45. https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/ground-transportation/

Guests Arranging Independent Air Travel
For San Diego to San Diego sailings, we recommend the following flight-time guidelines:
  • Latest arrival time to San Diego International Airport on Embarkation Day: 2:15 PM
  • Earliest departure time from San Diego International Airport on Debarkation Day: 11:45 AM

You can easily make a 10:30a flight from San Diego. Just do the express walk off and you will be a the airport in plenty of time.

Another east coaster.

Wondering how you made out. the flight we were originally considering left at 1:30, now it's 12:45. Just don't want to be nervous the entire cruise that we won't make the flight.

What did you end of doing? Or did covid have other plans for your?

Another east coaster.

Wondering how you made out. the flight we were originally considering left at 1:30, now it's 12:45. Just don't want to be nervous the entire cruise that we won't make the flight.

Disney stopped sailing in March 2020 so they didn't make this cruise unfortunately.

Another east coaster.

You're fine. You'll probably have 3+ hours to waste before your flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter