San Diego hotel recommendations pre-cruise?

Monorail Bob's dd

DIS Veteran
Hello! I am flying into San Diego the night before my cruise on the Wonder next month and I'm looking at a hotel recommendation at or near the airport or the port. It looks like the airport is pretty close to the port. A hotel that includes or offers paid transfers from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to the port would be a big help.

Porto Vista Hotel, includes free airport/cruise shuttle and if you book direct they give a free made to order breakfast. There are also plenty of restaurants and shopping within a very short walking distance.

Thanks for this post. We are looking for a hotel for one night prior to our San Diego-Van cruise May 2018.

Downtown Hampton Inn, walking distance from the cruise port, free shuttle from the airport, good "free" breakfast and nice rooms. Just try to snag a room away from the train tracks. :)

Kate

We stayed at the Wyndam Bayside before our EBPC cruise. It was right across the street from the cruise terminal. They offered a free shuttle to the terminal, even though you could just walk there..

There's a free shuttle from the airport too. also free shuttle to the san diego zoo if you have free time.

The Wyndham Bayside, Springhill Suites Downtown/Bayfront and Residence Inn Downtown/Bayfront are across the street from the terminal.

We stayed at the Comfort suites before our Disney Wonder Panama Canal cruise last year. Free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. Great breakfast the next morning. We took an Uber to the port.

The Wyndham is across the street from the ship. There are many hotels within a mile or less to the port and are easily walkable depending on how much luggage you have.

There are plenty within walking distance, or a really quick Uber ride. Wyndham, Westin, the W, Hyatt, Embassy suites, Marriott. If you son't mind public transportation you could also take the trolley into Santa Fe station from somewhere else near a trolley/train stop. But I personally avoid public transportation like the plague.

We stayed at the Wyndam Bayside before our EBPC cruise. It was right across the street from the cruise terminal. They offered a free shuttle to the terminal, even though you could just walk there..

There's a free shuttle from the airport too. also free shuttle to the san diego zoo if you have free time.

Ditto! We arrived in San Diego by train for our last cruise and the shuttle picked us up at the train station. Easy walk to the ship the next morning.

As others stated, the Wyndam, Marriott Bayside, & Springhill Bayside are all closest. I've stayed in SD twice, once for pre-cruise. If you search "Little Italy" you will find the hotels nearest the port (vs actual downtown in Gaslamp or convention center). For our pre-cruise we stayed at the Hampton Inn on Pacific Hwy and it was fine - nothing terrible, nothing special. We did walk the few blocks to the ship, something we were never able to do at other ports. We didn't mind the trek, even with a few sprinkles, since we were so excited! However, if you have children or physically don't want to or even can't pull luggage over crossings and such, I would have just taken Uber. (Crossing Harbor Drive to get to the ship is a little tricky with only certain places to cross.)

My other stay was at the Residence Inn (on Pacific, not Bayfront). I liked it much more due to amenities; it's a bit further from the port.

I will add two restaurant recommendations:
  • Burger Lounge - one of the best burger's I've ever eaten. And I live in the Midwest.
  • Extraordinary Desserts - OMG. I am a huge dessert addict with a sophisticated palette. This is my favorite dessert option. On. The. Planet. (Even compared to another featured Food Network cakery in my area.) Once we discovered it, we went every night we were in town!

View from our window in May at the Springhill Suites. I think the Uber from the airport was $10 for 4 of us.

Attachments

• 2017-05-12 10.44.17.jpg
    2017-05-12 10.44.17.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 23

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter