San Diego Dinner Recommendations

I live in San Diego. You're staying on the border of one of the hottest dining areas in the city and are within walking distance to so many great local choices. With all due respect since I'm new to this board (but definitely not new to the San Diego dining scene), you're getting some pretty bad suggestions. No need to venture to Coronado, Point Loma, Old Town, or Downtown proper. Don't even consider wasting time at a national chain restaurant like Ruth's Chris, Cheesecake Factory, Claim Jumper, or even a local chain like Karl Strauss. It would be really sad if you missed a great meal for something like that. Please consider expanding your budget for at least one dinner, because you'll be treated to some of the best food our city has to offer if you do.

Eater San Diego is a great resource and keeps updated lists of excellent local restaurants: https://sandiego.eater.com/maps/38-best-restaurants-in-san-diego and https://sandiego.eater.com/maps/best-new-san-diego-restaurants-heatmap. You'll see that Little Italy is very well represented. A 5 year-old would not be out of place in most places.

These are my suggestions in your budget within reasonable walking distance from your hotel (I can make many more suggestions if you are willing to spend up to $25/entree and the food would be on a whole different level):
  • The Crack Shack: casual outdoor restaurant with a menu centered around fried chicken sandwiches
  • Carnitas' Snack Shack: pork-centric menu right on the waterfront with outdoor seating
  • Little Italy Food Hall: many different interesting choices for a casual meal in a food court setting
  • Underbelly or RakiRaki: you said you preferred American, Italian, and Mexican but if you want to try something out of your comfort zone and in your price range, both places serve a nice bowl of Japanese ramen (the real thing, which is very different from the dehydrated supermarket stuff with the seasoning packet)
I saw a couple of mentions for Filippi's. A favorite of many and the price is right, but definitely not my preference. Big portions of Italian-American style dishes like spaghetti, lasagna, ravioli, chicken parm, pizzas, salads, etc. Reminds me of the Buca di Beppo chain. Nothing wrong with it if that's what you want, but there are so many more interesting restaurants in the area, including places that do better Italian cuisine (it is Little Italy, after all).

I live in San Diego. You're staying on the border of one of the hottest dining areas in the city and are within walking distance to so many great local choices. With all due respect since I'm new to this board (but definitely not new to the San Diego dining scene), you're getting some pretty bad suggestions. No need to venture to Coronado, Point Loma, Old Town, or Downtown proper. Don't even consider wasting time at a national chain restaurant like Ruth's Chris, Cheesecake Factory, Claim Jumper, or even a local chain like Karl Strauss. It would be really sad if you missed a great meal for something like that. Please consider expanding your budget for at least one dinner, because you'll be treated to some of the best food our city has to offer if you do.

Eater San Diego is a great resource and keeps updated lists of excellent local restaurants: https://sandiego.eater.com/maps/38-best-restaurants-in-san-diego and https://sandiego.eater.com/maps/best-new-san-diego-restaurants-heatmap. You'll see that Little Italy is very well represented. A 5 year-old would not be out of place in most places.

These are my suggestions in your budget within reasonable walking distance from your hotel (I can make many more suggestions if you are willing to spend up to $25/entree and the food would be on a whole different level):
  • The Crack Shack: casual outdoor restaurant with a menu centered around fried chicken sandwiches
  • Carnitas' Snack Shack: pork-centric menu right on the waterfront with outdoor seating
  • Little Italy Food Hall: many different interesting choices for a casual meal in a food court setting
  • Underbelly or RakiRaki: you said you preferred American, Italian, and Mexican but if you want to try something out of your comfort zone and in your price range, both places serve a nice bowl of Japanese ramen (the real thing, which is very different from the dehydrated supermarket stuff with the seasoning packet)
I saw a couple of mentions for Filippi's. A favorite of many and the price is right, but definitely not my preference. Big portions of Italian-American style dishes like spaghetti, lasagna, ravioli, chicken parm, pizzas, salads, etc. Reminds me of the Buca di Beppo chain. Nothing wrong with it if that's what you want, but there are so many more interesting restaurants in the area, including places that do better Italian cuisine (it is Little Italy, after all).

Can I hijack the post a moment. We are staying 2 nights at the Del and the last Night at the Wyndham bayside. Any Lunch and Dinner restaurants near or easy to travel from the Del. We will have a car those first two nights. Gaslamp? Two Adults. When we switch to the wyndham i need a dinner and a quick but decent breakfast Thank you!

I've been to San Diego several times for work. If you walk around the Gaslight district you will find many, many nice, relatively inexpensive places. If you stick to a simple entre or salad and no wine/alcohol you should be able to stay in budget. Have fish tacos.....San Diego makes them different (and better) than any place I've ever eaten!

Is that in the Del Coronado? Do they make any food for you, or strictly what's on the buffet? Anything near that hotel you like for lunch or dinner? Thank you!

Our family stayed there in July. Breakfast buffet for our family of four - me, DH, DD18 and DD14 - cost $160+ before the tip. Yes, our breakfast cost over $180.

Hamburgers on the sun deck cost $26 and $4 extra for cheese.

Can I hijack the post a moment. We are staying 2 nights at the Del and the last Night at the Wyndham bayside. Any Lunch and Dinner restaurants near or easy to travel from the Del. We will have a car those first two nights. Gaslamp? Two Adults. When we switch to the wyndham i need a dinner and a quick but decent breakfast Thank you!

It really depends on your preferences, budget, how far you're willing to go, whether you want to focus on a food experience or go for more of an ambiance/view dinner with serviceable food that a lot of visitors like. Without knowing any of that, I always recommend dinner at Juniper & Ivy in Little Italy to visitors. The menu is constantly being adapted depending on season and availability of ingredients and it's a great example of low-key West Coast cuisine in general.

It really depends on your preferences, budget, how far you're willing to go, whether you want to focus on a food experience or go for more of an ambiance/view dinner with serviceable food that a lot of visitors like. Without knowing any of that, I always recommend dinner at Juniper & Ivy in Little Italy to visitors. The menu is constantly being adapted depending on season and availability of ingredients and it's a great example of low-key West Coast cuisine in general.
Thanks we like to go where locals go. Prefer moderate. Don't want fancy and super expensive. Have 3 nights before a 14-night cruise. Would like to see different neighborhoods. Prefer to be within say 20/30 minute drive. Anything right on Coronado you recommend?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter