• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

San Diego departure questions

NYCMommy

Mouseketeer
While this is our 9th Disney Cruise, we are leaving from San Diego for the first time on Friday! With So much going on, I completely forgot to check-in at midnight and checked in a day or two later. The earliest PAT was 1pm but we somehow got boarding group 10, which seems low based on the PAT.

Any seasoned San Diego folks want to help us understand if we need to wait til 1pm or perhaps we can get there earlier with that PAT?

We are excited for a quick west coast cruise, although will be packing our cold weather clothing!

They will make you wait outside in line until your port arrival time. Even if it’s chilly the sun is pretty intense up against the side of the cement building, bring a hat! Also, we just got off and the inside of the ship seemed to be super heated. We didn’t bring enough shorts and short sleeves. Goofy’s pool was super-heated, with super hot water vents almost like the hots tubs, which was great!

We boarded the Wonder last Monday in San Diego. DCL needs to do a better job with signage and instructions at boarding procedures there. I think the problem is limited space outside the terminal.

After we dropped off our luggage, which is totally separate from the boarding lines, we made our way to the side of the terminal off of N. Harbor. They start lining you up by Port Arrival Time. We had 11:15 AM. When we got there at 11:15, there were people everywhere outside with 3 lines started. One for 11:00, one for 11:15 and 1 for 11:30. Our line was supposedly the middle one, but you couldn't tell. As your time got close (or late for us) a cast member would check your boarding pass and give you a ticket (ours was blue). They would then let those with specific color ticket enter the terminal. We didn't enter until after 11:30 AM.

They were telling all other times to wait in an area behind the lines until their arrival time.

Does anyone know what happens to people who arrive after their PAT? Do they just go to the head of the line? Or join with the next group to enter? Or what?

We cruised over the holiday and had a 12pm arrival time, we got there at about 11:50 and walked thru the process easily..no lines outside of the port and then breezed thru the security and check in lines with no problems. Even had a cast member comment we were late :)

We boarded the Wonder last Monday in San Diego. DCL needs to do a better job with signage and instructions at boarding procedures there. I think the problem is limited space outside the terminal.

After we dropped off our luggage, which is totally separate from the boarding lines, we made our way to the side of the terminal off of N. Harbor. They start lining you up by Port Arrival Time. We had 11:15 AM. When we got there at 11:15, there were people everywhere outside with 3 lines started. One for 11:00, one for 11:15 and 1 for 11:30. Our line was supposedly the middle one, but you couldn't tell. As your time got close (or late for us) a cast member would check your boarding pass and give you a ticket (ours was blue). They would then let those with specific color ticket enter the terminal. We didn't enter until after 11:30 AM.

They were telling all other times to wait in an area behind the lines until their arrival time.
Can you explain the whole drop-off-of-luggage procedure to me in San Diego? I have read it’s across the way, or the street, or something strange?? Thank you! We will be staying at the Springhill Suites across the street. Can’t wait to see the Wonder (my fav) again next week!! I see you started a trip report, excited to read!

Really strict at San Diego!

The luggage drop off is in the port terminal car park next to the port. I did that after getting my ticket but before going into the terminal.

Can you explain the whole drop-off-of-luggage procedure to me in San Diego? I have read it’s across the way, or the street, or something strange?? Thank you! We will be staying at the Springhill Suites across the street. Can’t wait to see the Wonder (my fav) again next week!! I see you started a trip report, excited to read!
Oof, I'm having a hard time trying to understand too!

@holula when you say "port terminal car park", would that be the thing called Waterfront Parking on googlemaps? What I *think* I'm understanding from you and @disneyfaninaz is that the luggage drop-off is in the middle of that B Street Pier loop, and check-in lines are north of that (where googlemaps has B Street Pier marked). Which means those of us coming from the parking lots just north of the port will walk past the check-in lines to get to luggage drop-off and then reverse our steps to check-in.

1673215294558.png

@holula when you say "port terminal car park", would that be the thing called Waterfront Parking on googlemaps? What I *think* I'm understanding from you and @disneyfaninaz is that the luggage drop-off is in the middle of that B Street Pier loop, and check-in lines are north of that (where googlemaps has B Street Pier marked). Which means those of us coming from the parking lots just north of the port will walk past the check-in lines to get to luggage drop-off and then reverse our steps to check-in.

View attachment 730628
OK, here's a picture I took (several years ago). Looking from the ship over the terminal building toward the parking area.
san diego wonder 2015 18039 P1080100.JPG
You can see the cars entering the parking area from the left (N Harbor Dr). About 1/2 way down that's where you drop your bags. Then you walk to the terminal to check in. That's if you drive in to drop your bags before parking.

Don't have a picture of it, but when we arrived via foot, with our bags, you enter the port area close to the terminal and the luggage drop is on the left before you enter the terminal.

We cruised in December and our boarding time was 11:30. While we were waiting in line to check in, they were announcing that all times were open to board, even those at 1 o’clock or later. You can drop your luggage at any time. Walk up to the main security booth and they will allow you to walk past towards the terminal. You do cross a street but it’s a street located on the dock that the ship is docked at. It’s not a surface street and it is only used by employees who are loading or unloading the ship.

San Diego is always a cluster. We sailed out of there on December 28th, it was our 3rd time sailing from SD and likely our last. So disorganized, both embarkation and debarkation. We had an 11:15PAT and they were being very strict about PAT's. They were pulling people aside and out of line if you had a different one. Boarding seemed to take forever. We were boarding group 3 and it was 12:30 before we got onboard. Good luck!

20230102_080226.jpg

We stayed at the Springhill Suites too. It is a very easy walk to the terminal.

In this picture, the luggage drop off is in the left side of the building behind the fence. This is where the taxies, shuttles and other transportation pick you up after a cruise. Before a cruise, this is where you drop of your luggage. You go through the gates and there are tents and porters there to take your luggage. The PAT lines are in front of the building where the yellow barricades are.

View attachment 730628
Yeah, you drop bags in Waterfront Parking. The drop is pretty near the entry of where people drive into Waterfront Parking. Maybe like a 1 min walk from the entrance, if that.

Does anyone know what happens to people who arrive after their PAT? Do they just go to the head of the line? Or join with the next group to enter? Or what?
We found someone to give us the appropriately colored ticket for our PAT and then we were able to walk right in. DH took care of figuring that out while I dropped off luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter