San Angel Inn or Coral Reef?

maryj11

DIS Veteran
We have our favorite at Epcot and now this time we are going to try a new restaurant. It is so hard to skip our favorite restaurant Teppan Edo. Last year I had planned on us trying a new restaurant but we ended up back at Teppan Edo. We have went through all the restaurants menus and reviews. It is boiled down to San Angel Inn or Coral Reef. Which one is better? No picky eaters here so no worries on that.

Both have really cool atmospheres although different. The food quality to me is about the same, but then it's been about 5 years since we ate at SAI.

My husband's favorite is SAI. It is a must each trip and the food is very good. I love going to CR to eat and watch the large aquarium. The food there is just okay.

I like the food and atmosphere at SAI better. I had a bad meal at CR and I didn't like the atmosphere. Yes, there is a view of the aquarium, but it was also pretty noisy and crowded.

I've never been to SAI, but we loved CR! The food was great and the aquarium was fun - we enjoyed finding all the kinds of fish and seeing which ones seemed to come around often. I'd heard bad things about CR, but I was pleasantly surprised.

My vote if for Coral Reef. I have read other reviews but we have never had a bad meal or service there. At San Angel its 50% once was great and the other we aren't quite sure what they served us.

If you want Mexican, why not try La Hacienda de San Angel. Much better food, and not as noisy as SAI.

San Angel Inn is very dark, but can be nice by the water, Coral Reef is also very nice, but different.

As for food, I have had great meals at both, so I don't see an issue either way.

If you want Mexican, why not try La Hacienda de San Angel. Much better food, and not as noisy as SAI.
Well we wanted to pick from those 2 because we like the atmosphere from looking at the pictures. But I will check out the menu for La Hacienda de San Angel.

I've been to both and didn't have any problems with either but much preferred the food and atmosphere at San Angel Inn. We did get a waterside table which of course made it even better but the service was very friendly and our meal was delicious. Coral Reef was just okay...the food was okay but not as good, and I don't find the aquarium very exciting because you can see the exact same thing outside of the restaurant area.

If you are choosing based off of photos of the atmosphere of each restaurant, Coral Reef is not nearly as neat in real life as it appears in photos.
Thanks for the info. I think we will go with SAI. We have been thinking about eating there for the past 2 years but always changed our minds.

After going through google images of La Hacienda de San Angel's food I have to say the food looks really good! Now you have me rethinking this:rotfl: Can you see illuminations from most of the seats?

I am sorry, but these two restaurants are on my worst list, in or out of WDW.

Have you tried Chefs De France? We tried it for the 1st time last year and now it's on our must do lists.

La Hacienda de San Angel's food is much better than San Angel Inn.
There are large windows overlooking the water. For the most part, unless you're sitting near a window you'd have to get up to see the fireworks.

We went to Coral Reef a couple of years ago and I found its poor reputation (on these boards, at least) to be unwarranted. I had last been there as a teen in the 90's and didn't remember it all too well, but returning as an adult with my wife and kids, we found it to be pretty good.

San Angel Inn's atmosphere inside the temple is very nice, but the tables are pretty crammed together which detracts from the experience.

In a choice between all three, I'd probably go with La Hacienda de San Angel.

Have you tried Chefs De France? We tried it for the 1st time last year and now it's on our must do lists.

Chefs De France is a pretty good attempt at a brasserie. The food is pretty good, but it's pretty loud in there and it seems like atmosphere is important to the OP.

Definitely the San Angel Inn. We've eaten at Coral Reef twice and while the setting is great, on both occasions the food was deeply disappointing.

I like both options, but I'll give a slight edge to SAI. I request to sit near the water, the atmosphere is a large part of the experience.

After going through google images of La Hacienda de San Angel's food I have to say the food looks really good! Now you have me rethinking this:rotfl: Can you see illuminations from most of the seats?
If you're sitting at those large windows then you have a nice view. Other tables only give a partial view. You might need to move to a better viewing location during the fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter