• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Same Home Resort, Multiple Use years

djnrook

Mouseketeer
I've read a TON on this topic (thank you all!) and just want to make sure I am understanding it all correctly.

We have multiple member numbers using the same account (6 different contracts, all deeded exactly the same, one email address, and all the different member numbers show up on one dashboard).
  • One of these member numbers is for 200 Points at HHI, April Use Year.
  • A second member number (again, same account) is for 250 points at HHI, June Use year.
We want to stay at HHI in July of 2024. That stay will cost us 632 points. My plan is to do as follows:
  • Bank 200 of my April points from 2023 to 2024
  • Borrow 200 of my April points from 2025 to 2024
This gives me access to 600 April points in my 2024 use year in my first membership listed above. These 600 points can be used for a stay at HHI in July of 2024 that I can book 11 months ahead of time. Of course, I am still 32 points short.

If I understand it correctly, I can transfer (assuming neither of these memberships has used another 2024 transfer in or out) 32 points from my June 2024 HHI contract to my April contract/membership by calling member services. Once that transfer is made, I should be able to make a reservation for July 2024 using all 632 points at 11 months out using the membership number associated with my April account.

Is anything wrong with my understanding?

Thanks!

We don't have multiple use-years, but based on how you've laid it out here, it sounds like you understand what you need to do. I would just wonder something, not knowing your June UY situation - if you're going to transfer points anyway, and I believe you can do it once a year, is it possible it might make better sense for the longevity of your points to transfer and use more from June UY - perhaps avoid borrowing points for future trips?? That being said, I believe your plan laid out above is accurate. Then come Aug, 2023, you should be able to make your July, 2024 HHI reservation. Enjoy!!

Yes. Thst is correct. Just be aware that transferred points don’t work using the online system during the home resort period so you will need to call MS at 9 am to finish the booking.

We don't have multiple use-years, but based on how you've laid it out here, it sounds like you understand what you need to do. I would just wonder something, not knowing your June UY situation - if you're going to transfer points anyway, and I believe you can do it once a year, is it possible it might make better sense for the longevity of your points to transfer and use more from June UY - perhaps avoid borrowing points for future trips?? That being said, I believe your plan laid out above is accurate. Then come Aug, 2023, you should be able to make your July, 2024 HHI reservation. Enjoy!!
Thanks, I appreciate the response. We’ve got big plans in 2024 so by the end of the year all of our HHI contracts will be exhausted to include a lot of borrowing from 2025, but your point is a great one.

Yes. Thst is correct. Just be aware that transferred points don’t work using the online system during the home resort period so you will need to call MS at 9 am to finish the booking.
Talk more about that please - points don’t work online during “the home resort period”. So from the opening of the 11 month window to the opening of the 7 month window transferred points can’t be booked online at all, even for their home resort? This has been the most confusing thing for me as I’ve tried to research. We have transferred in points a bunch of times from OTHER members and while we can never see them on our dashboard they seem to always show up when we try to book. But not sure we’ve ever booked with transferred points during that “11 month has opened but 7 month has not” timeframe.

Thanks to you both.

Thanks, I appreciate the response. We’ve got big plans in 2024 so by the end of the year all of our HHI contracts will be exhausted to include a lot of borrowing from 2025, but your point is a great one.

Talk more about that please - points don’t work online during “the home resort period”. So from the opening of the 11 month window to the opening of the 7 month window transferred points can’t be booked online at all, even for their home resort? This has been the most confusing thing for me as I’ve tried to research. We have transferred in points a bunch of times from OTHER members and while we can never see them on our dashboard they seem to always show up when we try to book. But not sure we’ve ever booked with transferred points during that “11 month has opened but 7 month has not” timeframe.

Thanks to you both.

Correct. The online system does not seem to be set up to allow the bookings until 7 months with transferred points.

There have been a report or two that someone said they could, but I have never had luck.

When you transfer points, they put them in a temporary contract in your account. So, you can’t see them until you go to book.

And, that contract doesn’t always show up. So, you have to call to use them.

Correct. The online system does not seem to be set up to allow the bookings until 7 months with transferred points.

There have been a report or two that someone said they could, but I have never had luck.

When you transfer points, they put them in a temporary contract in your account. So, you can’t see them until you go to book.

Thanks. I’ll report back when I try to book right at 11 months any let folks know if I had to call Member Services or not.

Book the first couple days, and then call to get MS to modify and add the transfer for the rest of the days. Don't let someone lock you out while you are putzing with a transfer.

Can you book your trip as split stay at 11 months (roughly) using banked/reg/borrowed, whatever you need from one UY and then you book the other part with the other UY? then you'd be able to avoid the transfer issue.
You might also be able to avoid borrowing?

e.g. book the first up to 400 (ish) points' worth of your stay with banked and current UY April points. Say that gets you Jul 1-5.
Then use banked/current UY from your other UY for a split stay starting 11 mo before July 6 for the remainder of your stay and then link the reservations.

That way you can do all of it online, without borrowing, and without transferring. Am i missing anything?

Book the first couple days, and then call to get MS to modify and add the transfer for the rest of the days. Don't let someone lock you out while you are putzing with a transfer.
Thanks, that is absolutely the plan. I thought about even transferring ahead of time. And then right at 11 months booking the first five days, then once confirmed, trying to see if I could add the rest. I agree I’m not playing around. :-)

Can you book your trip as split stay at 11 months (roughly) using banked/reg/borrowed, whatever you need from one UY and then you book the other part with the other UY? then you'd be able to avoid the transfer issue.
You might also be able to avoid borrowing?

e.g. book the first up to 400 (ish) points' worth of your stay with banked and current UY April points. Say that gets you Jul 1-5.
Then use banked/current UY from your other UY for a split stay starting 11 mo before July 6 for the remainder of your stay and then link the reservations.

That way you can do all of it online, without borrowing, and without transferring. Am i missing anything?
That's a great idea, thank you. I was concerned about the split stay though - I have done split stays dozens of times in the past, and have never had to switch rooms on a split stay. Just a stop at the front desk to check-out / check-in and then that was it. Very easy.

My concern with this was if this happened to be the one time they didn't let us stay in the same room, some of our family members (**cough**sisterinlaw**cough**) would be apoplectic. Just trying to minimize my risk 8-)

Wow, I had no idea about how this worked. I just did a transfer to make a reservation for Aulani soon. So it would be a 7 month reservation for me. But I also just purchased a small resale at HHI to use there with my current contract. That is disappointing. Seemed like it would be easy with a transfer. Member services did tell me they were working on an update allowing members to be able to see their transferred points. Maybe when that gets worked out the 11 month booking window for transferred points will resolve. Can only hope. So glad to see this post. Thank you.

Wow, I had no idea about how this worked. I just did a transfer to make a reservation for Aulani soon. So it would be a 7 month reservation for me. But I also just purchased a small resale at HHI to use there with my current contract. That is disappointing. Seemed like it would be easy with a transfer. Member services did tell me they were working on an update allowing members to be able to see their transferred points. Maybe when that gets worked out the 11 month booking window for transferred points will resolve. Can only hope. So glad to see this post. Thank you.

Just to be sure you understand, even when transferred, the points don't change home resort. So, HHI resort points will not be good at AUL, even if you have points there, until 7 months prior to booking.

You can certainly use transferred points during the 11 month booking when calling MS...but the system doesn't allow it. My guess is because when you buy OTU points, those are essentially points transferred into an account and they can be for any resort.

Those don't allow a home resort booking, so I think its just easier for the system to not allow any type of transferred points to be used prior to 7 months for consistency between transferred points and OTU points. It would certainly be nice to see the transferred points without having to go through a booking.

Just to be sure you understand, even when transferred, the points don't change home resort. So, HHI resort points will not be good at AUL, even if you have points there, until 7 months prior to booking.

You can certainly use transferred points during the 11 month booking when calling MS...but the system doesn't allow it. My guess is because when you buy OTU points, those are essentially points transferred into an account and they can be for any resort.

Those don't allow a home resort booking, so I think its just easier for the system to not allow any type of transferred points to be used prior to 7 months for consistency between transferred points and OTU points. It would certainly be nice to see the transferred points without having to go through a booking.
Sorry, I was rambling on. My Aulani reservation is at the 7 month date.
But I had planned to transfer points to make a yearly HHI reservation at 11 months, without having to borrow. It surprised me to read it was not possible. But I frequently have a reservation that crosses my use year so I do have to call in for the reservation. I guess nothing different there. Thanks for your input.

I've read a TON on this topic (thank you all!) and just want to make sure I am understanding it all correctly.

We have multiple member numbers using the same account (6 different contracts, all deeded exactly the same, one email address, and all the different member numbers show up on one dashboard).
  • One of these member numbers is for 200 Points at HHI, April Use Year.
  • A second member number (again, same account) is for 250 points at HHI, June Use year.
We want to stay at HHI in July of 2024. That stay will cost us 632 points. My plan is to do as follows:
  • Bank 200 of my April points from 2023 to 2024
  • Borrow 200 of my April points from 2025 to 2024
This gives me access to 600 April points in my 2024 use year in my first membership listed above. These 600 points can be used for a stay at HHI in July of 2024 that I can book 11 months ahead of time. Of course, I am still 32 points short.

If I understand it correctly, I can transfer (assuming neither of these memberships has used another 2024 transfer in or out) 32 points from my June 2024 HHI contract to my April contract/membership by calling member services. Once that transfer is made, I should be able to make a reservation for July 2024 using all 632 points at 11 months out using the membership number associated with my April account.

Is anything wrong with my understanding?

Thanks!
You don’t have to transfer points from one HHI account to another. The different use years just mean you can’t combine all the points.

You can book two separate reservations with the two separate membership numbers and have member services combine them into one longer stay.

That way if something happens you are not risking wasting (needing to rent out) as many points of you have to cancel.

Sorry, I was rambling on. My Aulani reservation is at the 7 month date.
But I had planned to transfer points to make a yearly HHI reservation at 11 months, without having to borrow. It surprised me to read it was not possible. But I frequently have a reservation that crosses my use year so I do have to call in for the reservation. I guess nothing different there. Thanks for your input.

If the HHI points are the same membership as you own, then no transfer needed

If different UY, then yes, you would if you want one reservation. The other option, as mentioned is to book some on and some on the other and have MS link with a note bit to change rooms.

That does give you two different 11 month windows which may be tough depending on how booking goes.

But if you are calling anyway it’s not a big deal! They can transfer when you do if needed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter