• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Same day flight/Luggage during transfer?

Marshmelo

DIS Veteran
I purchased the DCL transfer with my reservation and plan to fly the same morning of departure. I need some clarification regarding how the luggage handling works. From what I think I understand, I will be receiving some tags to put on my luggage which will tell the airline where to send the luggage so that Disney will get it and take it to the ship? That makes me a little nervous. Does that system just rely on the airline noticing the tags and sending the luggage to the right place? Is it permitted to pick up your luggage yourself and carry it to the bus? Thank You!

You're correct, you will get baggage tags with your cruise documents. However, it's my understanding that the airlines don't do anything different with them. They will still be sent to Orlando on your plane. The bags are claimed by cruise line employees once they come off the plane, and are then transferred to the ship.

We always fly in the night before, which requires us to claim our luggage and then leave it for the Hyatt bell staff to collect and give to the cruise line (we stay overnight at the MCO Hyatt). We've never had any problem with this. Also, while I'm sure no system is foolproof, I've never heard of people having problems with the DCL luggage transfers when they fly in the day of the cruise. It seems to work very well. I would have no reservations about doing this, but since we live on the west coast, it's easier for us to arrive the evening before the cruise.

I was nervous about having my bags transferred also. We were
on the June 28th cruise. We got off of the plane, met the DCL
representative (look for the big Mickey hands) in the lobby (before
going downstairs to luggage pickup). They take your name, ask
how many bags you had, if you put the tags on the bags. If you
did then they just lead you to the buses. They pick up the bags
for you, get them to the ship and they appear in your stateroom
later in the day. So I guess I was nervous for nothing. Enjoy
your cruise!

Thanks to both of you! That makes more sense....so you meet someone. I was wondering how they would know what flight you were on and what time you were flying in. Is there a desk for the DCL reps or are they just standing around in the airport? Do you remember about where they were located? Thanks again!

The cruise line reps seem to be all over the terminal. They're dressed in blue blazers, in typical Disney fashion, it shouldn't be hard to find them. I've also seen signs on easels around the terminal on the morning of the cruise, helping to direct DCL traffic.

Also, once you have your flight information, you can give it to the cruise line (they'll add it to your reservation info), so they'll know when to expect you (if you book your air through DCL, then they'll already have it). I believe they post a few cast members to meet incoming flights which contain cruise passengers.

They met us in the concourse level with signs all around them letting people know to meet there. We have taken two cruises and never had a problem, in fact are luggage beat us to the cabins. Relax and enjoy the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter