Sailing out of New Orkeans

It's not just Houston, it's the surrounding region with tens of millions of people -- many of who would've traveled to New Orleans in years past. Galveston is now the largest domestic cruise port outside of Florida and continues to see the largest growth. It's still largely a drive market, with few people flying in, so if you're like me and don't live within a "reasonable" driving distance, you've likely never been there.

DCL is also fairly aggressive at pursing subsidies. When DCL first came to the West Coast, Los Angeles and San Diego got into a bidding war that LA initially "won" before SD upped its offer a few years later. Without even looking it up, I'm willing to bet NO and Australia were launched with similar subsidies and once they dried up, Disney exited (and will exit) the market. Australian cruises are typically the lowest priced which is problematic when Disney pays its expenses largely in USD.

Disney charges the Australian cruises in USD still. And onboard it is USD. The cruises are priced at the high end for the region. And Disney is using local suppliers for everything onboard and local fuel suppliers. So those outlays have likely shifted to paying out in AUD. I think you’ll see the problem there is people will get tired of the cruises to nowhere.

This is probably part of the reason.

Once the Treasure comes online at the end of the year:

Port Canaveral: Wish and Treasure year round
Port Everglades: Dream/Fantasy year round, Dream/Fantasy wintering
Galveston: Magic for majority of the year
San Juan: Magic for minority of the year
Wonder doing its ring of fire roaming.
Europe: Dream/Fantasy summering.

Probably just not enough ship to go around. Though I could see Disney maybe trying Tampa at some point.

And I cannot find it anywhere but I am pretty sure the Imagination or whatever realDCL Ship 7 is going to be called is going to be PC as well.
I think the Magic's days of going to Europe are over. She will rotate between Galveston, San Juan, and PC/PE.

Wonder will be out West for the foreseeable future, especially since she is the only ship that is prepared for Alaska, which makes a ton of money.

Dream and Fantasy finally have some flexibility. Disney can move them around to a lot of places, especially for seasonal ports/destinations. Mexico while Wonder is in Alaska/Australia, Europe for the summer, NYC during the summer, etc. I could see them doing a lot.

Wish and Treasure are doing the bread and butter 3, 4, and 7 nighters. I'm sure the Imagination will do something from PC. Maybe a 4/5/5 schedule?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter