• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Safely Handling Food/Groceries

DH sent me that video this morning. I’m being much more careful considering employees are Amazon, FedEx, and Kroger are confirmed to have it. Considering FedEx headquarters and a major hub are here in Memphis, and is a huge employer for the community I can see how things may spread.

The moment a shipped package arrived I open it on the porch and discard the packaging. Items stay outside until I can clean it. Groceries are washed/wiped down and dried before being put away.

Nonsense.

If you wear gloves, evil stuff never comes in contact with your hands. You do what you're going to do, remove the gloves properly and discard them properly, and you've eliminated a huge route of infection. That's why EMS personnel, doctors, and nurses wear gloves.

It is absolutely NOT nonsense. The way most people (both store employees and the general public) are using gloves is not "protecting" anyone. It's a false sense of security and a waste of resources when they should just be washing their hands more often instead.

I am well aware of why/how gloves are to be properly used. Which is why I think it's ridiculous to see people wearing them and going about their business as usual as if simply having gloves on is magically preventing the germs from spreading.

You even stated it in your post above-- you wear the gloves while touching the gross/dirty/dangerous thing and then you properly remove them. Using the medical example: You would never touch the gross/dirty/dangerous thing with gloved hands and then leave your gloves on all day while you go on to touch your pen, the door knob, and the next patient. How is that any different than a cashier using one pair of gloves all day: they're touching someone else's groceries, the register, the cash, then my groceries, then on to the next person with the same gloves on?

There have been many studies about using gloves in food preparation that have found it's often more unsanitary because people feel the gloves are more "sterile" they are not washing their hands or removing the gloves in between touching various things.

Here's some information from the WHO about glove use: https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Glove_Use_Information_Leaflet.pdf

Some key points:
-- "prolonged use of gloves for contact precautions in the absence of considering the need to perform hand hygiene can result in the transmission of germs"
-- "The unnecessary and inappropriate use of gloves results in a waste of resource and may increase the risk of germ transmission. "
-- "Inappropriate glove use:
• The use of gloves when not indicated represents a waste of resources and does not contribute to a reduction of cross-transmission.
• It may also result in missed opportunities for hand hygiene.
• The use of contaminated gloves caused by inappropriate storage, inappropriate moments and techniques for donning and removing, may also result in germ transmission."

I am wiping everything down with a sanitizing wipe. Fruit gets a wipe too then washed with organic safe soap to remove any residue. I am avoiding fruit (berries) and veggies I can't sanitize prior to a wash. All packages also get a thorough wipe down. Then counters and anything unwashed food has touched gets a wipe down and finally hands are sanitized followed by washed with soap. I have several immunity issues and lung disease so not taking chances. I do it as I un-bag and it only took about 5 minutes extra.

Last edited:
I am wiping everything down with a sanitizing wipe. Fruit gets a wipe too then washed with organic safe soap to remove any residue. I am avoiding fruit (berries) and veggies I can't wash. All packages also get a thorough wipe down. Then counters and anything unwashed food has touched gets a wipe down and finally hands are sanitized followed by washed with soap. I have several immunity issues and lung disease so not taking chances. I do it as I un-bag and it only took about 5 minutes extra.
What berries and vegetables can't be washed?

Does anyone have an opinion whether getting groceries delivered is actually safer than going at elderly hours?

The store says they deep clean overnight and then elderly only allowed to shop the first hour of the day.

I wonder if it is safer than having a stranger shop for us.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an opinion weather getting groceries delivered is actually safer than going at elderly hours?

The store says they deep clean overnight and then elderly only allowed to shop the first hour of the day.

All I can say that I've heard 3 different reports now of the early morning hour(s) for the elderly being extremely busy. Far busier than the rest of the day. So while the store may be freshly scrubbed, you may run the risk of being there with far more people than if you went during a different time of day. In your situation I would try to find someone who has already gone during those hours to let you know how it was at the store where you are interested in shopping.

What berries and vegetables can't be washed?

Raspberries technically shouldn't be washed. They fall apart immediately. And if you try to store them after washing, the get moldy, as you can't get out all the water.

Same for broccoli. It shouldn't be washed before refrigerating.

Last edited:

Does anyone have an opinion weather getting groceries delivered is actually safer than going at elderly hours?

From what I read, it still sounds as if direct human-to-human contact is the biggest vector. You're going to meet up with most humans in the grocery store. Will you come within 6 feet of someone shedding on you? That's the question.
I'm going to say that delivery is safer but you'll have to deal with whether or not you can repeatedly afford delivery, if there is a delivery slot in your area (none where I live), and when the shopper packs your order, will they even have what you want. Of the 20 or so items I ordered, I got two of them.

What most people have failed to realize is that the one study that everyone is squawking about dealt with an aerosol application in a lab setting. They didn't go into stores and test products for contamination. They didn't test actual human droplets contaminated with the virus. Before everyone freaks out and uses up all their sanitizer, realize that this was not "good science" - it's only one study, yet to be duplicated, in a controlled setting. Has anyone found coronavirus on a package? Has anyone even tested for that yet?

From what I read, it still sounds as if direct human-to-human contact is the biggest vector. You're going to meet up with most humans in the grocery store. Will you come within 6 feet of someone shedding on you? That's the question.
I'm going to say that delivery is safer but you'll have to deal with whether or not you can repeatedly afford delivery, if there is a delivery slot in your area (none where I live), and when the shopper packs your order, will they even have what you want. Of the 20 or so items I ordered, I got two of them.

Exactly. At this point trying to deal with delivery in my area is so much more stressful and expensive than just going to the grocery store early in the morning. I cannot pay these fees to only get two of my items (one of them being substituted key limes for the regular limes I ordered) it just isn't sustainable right now. I went to the grocery store at 6am last Saturday and was able to get everything I needed, except the Clorox wipes I wasn't counting on anyway, and there were maybe 4 other shoppers.

What most people have failed to realize is that the one study that everyone is squawking about dealt with an aerosol application in a lab setting. They didn't go into stores and test products for contamination. They didn't test actual human droplets contaminated with the virus. Before everyone freaks out and uses up all their sanitizer, realize that this was not "good science" - it's only one study, yet to be duplicated, in a controlled setting. Has anyone found coronavirus on a package? Has anyone even tested for that yet?

Very good points. As someone noted in this thread, it’s very hard to find cleaning supplies right now...not everyone has enough to be wiping down their groceries. Some people don’t have enough to wipe down high touch surfaces like has been recommended.

I know there is a theoretical risk, but we definitely don’t know the real risk. We’ve been throwing away bags/boxes and washing our hands after we put away the groceries. It actually makes me sad because of the waste all of this is going to create because people aren’t reusing these items and people are ripping through disposable wipes and paper towels, it’s of course worth it to keep people well, but it’s a very unfortunate side effect. I am concerned improper use of cleaning supplies is going to end up hurting some people. I also wonder how effective wiping down these products is because most disinfectants have to stay wet on the item for about 10 minutes according to the packaging to disinfect. I’m sure it helps some because it would remove some germs even if it didn’t kill the germs.

Raspberries technically shouldn't be washed. They fall apart immediately. And if you try to store them after washing, the get moldy, as you can't get out all the water.

My husband washes raspberries all the time (him and my oldest love them). They always eat them within a couple days though, so maybe that’s why we don’t have a problem.

I do wait to wash broccoli until I’m cooking it.

I’ve been washing cans, bottles, jars,with soap and water. I even washed a block of cheese. I take cereal bags out of the boxes and transfer bread, rolls to ziploc bags.Produce gets washed with vinegar and water. I even washed broccoli, then wrapped in saran wrap. It was fine in the fridge. Then the kitchen gets sanitized.It’s exhausting and I can’t believe I ever shopped care free before.

For what it's worth, my mother is 74 and went to the elderly hours. Now granted my mother is in good health is fit and very active. She said it was horrible - way too crowded (more crowded than just going at regular times) and people were not maintaining distance, were impatient, etc. Never again, she says.

For what it's worth, my mother is 74 and went to the elderly hours. Now granted my mother is in good health is fit and very active. She said it was horrible - way too crowded (more crowded than just going at regular times) and people were not maintaining distance, were impatient, etc. Never again, she says.
My sister said the same thing.

The person that said they take there shoes off outside and shower when they come in the house....my Brother in law is immune compromised. The doctor told them to do this who ever goes out . People cough and sneeze toward the ground all the time even spit so this stops stuff coming in on your shoes.

I've never had those problems probably because i don't wash until ready to use. Certainly makes sense that food will mold if left in the fridge after washing w/o cooking in a finite time frame.

Last edited:

I did not go on a day when it was senior shopping hours, but I went to our grocery store at 6 am a week ago and there were way more people in there than I was expecting. Too many for my comfort...we are getting our first our Instacart delivery tomorrow (booked it 4 days ago)

My “plan” when this all started was to shop at 4 am. (24 hour store). Now the store closes overnight to deep clean and restock; I totally understand. I just need to come up with a new plan.

Thanks for the opinions, if during elder hours it is super crowded it sort of defeats the purpose.

.Produce gets washed with vinegar and water.
Vinegar will not neutralize COVID. The virus is covered in a fattly layer so vinegar will not help for that. What Ive been doing is washing with soap and water, scrubbing and agitating as much as I can without destroying the produce. Then if its something I'd normally vinegar to help keep mold down, I spritz with vinegar and let dry for a few minutes. Then I finish drying and repackage.

Having trouble linking to it, but I suggest you watch the Trevor Noah interview with Dr. Anthony Fauci. It’s less than 15 minutes and has good straightforward answers to some basic questions.

Dr. Fauci essentially says there’s no need to get obsessive over it. Which makes me feel better. I’ve been taking a moderately cautious approach: removing packaging, wiping down surfaces. washing hands, etc. without going nuts. I’ll continue doing this. I trust Dr. Fauci.

Not saying good or bad but heck with the amount of sanitizing now going on.........no wonder stores are out of all of these items!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter