Safe to leave luggage in car at Disney Springs?

Is it safe to leave our luggage in the car at Disney Springs?

• Yes

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • I won’t say yes 100% but I’ve never heard of a problem

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Yes, but use the valet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi. We will be arriving at 10:45am. Check is at 3 at Shades of Green. We are renting a minivan. I was thinking of going to Disney Springs for lunch at T-Rex, some shopping, and picking up some baked treats for the room. Goal is to be at SoG at or shortly after check in since we have to get up pretty early that day.

I know we could drop luggage off at SoG but that will eat a lot of time. I’d prefer to go straight there but that means suitcases stay in the minivan. Willing to pay for valet if that is considered safer.

Thank you for your time!
By arriving do you mean landing at MCO? or driving and getting to SOG at 10:45.? When we fly down and arrive about 10:30 we normally arrive at SOG closer to 12 after getting luggage, rental and travel to hotel. We've been able to check in early each time. I know it's not a guarantee, but I would suggest calling to see if you can get in early and if not drop luggage at the least.

By arriving do you mean landing at MCO? or driving and getting to SOG at 10:45.? When we fly down and arrive about 10:30 we normally arrive at SOG closer to 12 after getting luggage, rental and travel to hotel. We've been able to check in early each time. I know it's not a guarantee, but I would suggest calling to see if you can get in early and if not drop luggage at the least.
Thank you. I mean landing, so I figured getting to Disney Springs or SOG around noon. Thanks for your estimate because that really helps!

I think we are less likely to get an early check in because I got super lucky and got a suite! We were originally going a day earlier and I haven’t changed the reservation yet. I could have it waiting for us.

On the one hand, that’s wasted money paying for an extra night. Money we could spend shopping at Disney Springs and eating at Trex. On the other hand it might be worth the wasted money to just check in and relax since we will be up around 4-4:30 that morning. Start our vacation better rested. Maybe hit Chef Mickey’s for an early dinner or something.

I have taken everyone’s suggestions to heart and regardless, we will drop the bags. My husband doesn’t love Disney. If our bags got stolen or something, it would put a lot of unnecessary stress on him.

Thank you. I mean landing, so I figured getting to Disney Springs or SOG around noon. Thanks for your estimate because that really helps!

I think we are less likely to get an early check in because I got super lucky and got a suite! We were originally going a day earlier and I haven’t changed the reservation yet. I could have it waiting for us.

On the one hand, that’s wasted money paying for an extra night. Money we could spend shopping at Disney Springs and eating at Trex. On the other hand it might be worth the wasted money to just check in and relax since we will be up around 4-4:30 that morning. Start our vacation better rested. Maybe hit Chef Mickey’s for an early dinner or something.

I have taken everyone’s suggestions to heart and regardless, we will drop the bags. My husband doesn’t love Disney. If our bags got stolen or something, it would put a lot of unnecessary stress on him.
Personally, I don't think it's worth paying an extra night of a hotel in order to get into the room at noon. After I get off the plane, while waiting for luggage, I'd call the hotel and see if there's a chance the room would be ready when I arrive. If so, head to SOG and get into the room. If not, head to DS, get some lunch and walk around a little.

As mentioned, all the products had sat in non air conditioned trucks/trains for who knows how many hours. I wouldn't be worried about things melting, especially if parking in one of the lower levels of a parking garage.

As far as thefts, everything would be in luggage, right? I'd put any valuables (not sure what valuables you'd be carrying at the start of the trip) as out of sight as I can (under or behind luggage) and then go.

As mentioned, all the products had sat in non air conditioned trucks/trains for who knows how many hours. I wouldn't be worried about things melting, especially if parking in one of the lower levels of a parking garage.
PP offered personal experiences which suggest the opposite.

Temperature in a closed car will rise significantly. The temperature in a truck, frequently moving and constantly being opened, should be about the same.as the.outside temperature.

I read on the net, must be true, someone put cookie dough on.a baking tray in a closed car. Temperature was rose to over 200. Baked cookies in 2 hours.

PP offered personal experiences which suggest the opposite.

Temperature in a closed car will rise significantly. The temperature in a truck, frequently moving and constantly being opened, should be about the same.as the.outside temperature.

I read on the net, must be true, someone put cookie dough on.a baking tray in a closed car. Temperature was rose to over 200. Baked cookies in 2 hours.
I'm picturing semi trucks, not delivery vans (with doors constantly opening). Do they sit in yards waiting to be unloaded for hours?

As far as the cookies, we're they in sunlight coming through windows?

Not denying it gets hot in cars. But it also gets hot in semi trailers

The temperature in a truck, frequently moving and constantly being opened, should be about the same.as the.outside temperature.
Containers full of crap we buy at the store have been transported in a container from the factory to a port, where it sat for many days, to a ship where it sat for probably weeks, to a port where it sat for days, to a depot where it sat for days to a warehouse where it sat for days/weeks/months before it even made it to the last mile of delivery to a store.

Those containers are not at about the same as the outside temperature.

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 9.47.29 AM.png

Shipping containers have been known to range between about 135 and -21 degrees fahrenheit.

Cars max out at about 45 degrees hotter than the outside temp if in the direct sun. In a parking deck the interior of a car will get nowhere close to that.

All of my makeup was melted one trip. Today the car felt reasonable

! See when your choices directly result in melting your wife’s lipstick and metallic shirt design

I did melt a bag of gummy bears once...and didn't realize i left it in the car until I just had a re-solidified mass of gummy in a plastic

2 brand new t-shirts with iron-on type transfers melted together in the car
I have no idea how the containers are able to protect contents from the heat.
Evidently there is a difference between a car and a container

I have no idea how the containers are able to protect contents from the heat.
Evidently there is a difference between a car and a container
I wonder if the items were in the sun. So the windows acting like a magnifying glass.

Again, parked in a lower level of the garage, shouldn't have that issue.

We have definitely done it before… and sometimes on extremely busy Saturdays.

On the one hand I can see how people would think that’s tempting fate… but also thieves will break into cars even if nothing’s in there or in view. And of what is in view, shopping bags or kids tablets would probably be more tempting than a suitcase full of (presumably) used clothes. My wife’s bigger concern would probably be someone stealing our SUV itself.

The steps we do take to mitigate risk:
When we go out while staying at resort or hotel, passports and backup cards and excess cash stay in safe.
If it’s a departure day and we’re stopping anywhere after check out, that stuff stays with us and never left behind.
No phones or apparent valuables are left in the car (or at least not in sight).

There’s always the potential for a car to be broken into at a place like this, but at least I can reduce the chance of a crime of opportunity, or cut my losses in the event one does happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter