• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

S/O Travelling without your spouse

disykat

This person totally gets me
On another thread many were seemed to be saying if your spouse wouldn't travel you wouldn't be able to. I found that interesting. I had literally just returned from a 5 week trip traveling around Europe with a friend when I met my now spouse. He had never traveled anywhere and honestly thought he would never want to. I didn't consider that a deal breaker because I've known several very happy couples where the wife loved to travel and went with girlfriends etc. because hubby didn't enjoy it.

My parents traveled a lot, but my father traveled even more without my mom due to work. They traveled enough that they had an agreement that they could go separate ways on vacations and meet back up for dinner later with no hard feelings. Having heard my parents laugh about how they get tired of being with each other 24/7 sometimes made it okay to me.

I just got back from an overnight at the beach - by myself. I would have preferred DH come but he was not available and I desperately needed the break.

I always figured I might end up traveling with friends (something my teacher friends often did) or with my sister if DH didn't want to come. I didn't consider it a deal breaker at all, though I'm sure glad DH has ended up enjoying traveling.

What do you think? Do you travel without your spouse? Would you consider that a deal breaker? Do you travel with friends or alone instead?

Last edited:
I travel without him sometimes. We are not joined at the hip. Sometimes we agree on destinations, sometimes there are places I'd love to go that don't interest him. If it's in our budget, he is totally happy for me to plan a trip alone, with a friend, with our son, with my family to someplace he's not interested in going (or can't go due to work/timing). And there are other times when we are happy to travel together.

It would only be a dealbreaker if he tried to say I couldn't go if he wouldn't or couldn't go. I couldn't live with that.

All major trips we have gone on were family trips or just me and Dh. I have taken weekend trips with the kids sometimes and he has done the same or taken them camping without me. It just depends the reason for the trip and who wants/can go.

I went to Ireland with friends this year without my wife and she spent a long weekend in Vegas with some of her friends without me. In the 6.5 years I've known her I have traveled without her probably ten times and that doesn't count work trips.

Last edited:

Sure, we've done trips separately. My wife has also taken the boys on trips without me as well when I had to work. We've done couples trips without the boys also. Over 20 years, it's been a wide mix, depending on the circumstances of each year.

We are not married but live together. Fortunately we both love to travel and have taken quite a few trips together, however, we have no issues traveling without each other. He will take his son for a long weekend trip to see a baseball game somewhere, I'd rather stay home. I've taken DD to Disney and he's perfectly content to stay home as well. Next year I'm taking DD to China for 10 days, that will be the longest traveling without him, but it just wasn't feasible for him to go.

I would love to go check into a hotel by the beach for a night alone, I think it would do me a world of good, but since I'm in Ohio that's kind of hard to do for a one-nighter!

We do some separate trips.....and some together.
I like them both.
Just got back from a cruise without him. Went with DD and DGD.
BFF and I go somewhere every Jan.
He's going to visit his family in a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to being home alone for a week

Lately I have been traveling without my hubby. His job is pretty demanding, and so he isn't able to take week long vacations with us in the summer. This August will be our second family vacation without him. While I really do miss him on our trips, he doesn't seem to mind. He's not as into traveling as I am, and so he's quite content staying at home.

On another thread many were seemed to be saying if your spouse wouldn't travel you wouldn't be able to. I found that interesting. I had literally just returned from a 5 week trip traveling around Europe with a friend when I met my now spouse. He had never traveled anywhere and honestly thought he would never want to. I didn't consider that a deal breaker because I've known several very happy couples where the wife loved to travel and went with girlfriends etc. because hubby didn't enjoy it.

My parents traveled a lot, but my father traveled even more without my mom due to work. They traveled enough that they had an agreement that they could go separate ways on vacations and meet back up for dinner later with no hard feelings. Having heard my parents laugh about how they get tired of being with each other 24/7 sometimes made it okay to me.

I just got back from an overnight at the beach - by myself. I would have preferred DH come but he was not available and I desperately needed the break.

I always figured I might end up traveling with friends (something my teacher friends often did) or with my sister if DH didn't want to come. I didn't consider it a deal breaker at all, though I'm sure glad DH has ended up enjoying traveling.

What do you think? Do you travel without your spouse? Would you consider that a deal breaker? Do you travel with friends or alone instead?

There's a lot of things not known in that thread about the OP's future SIL. I don't believe it was stated anywhere that the daughter couldn't go, just that the future SIL said no for whatever his reasons were. So I'm not sure why you're spinning that to this.

There's a lot of things not known in that thread about the OP's future SIL. I don't believe it was stated anywhere that the daughter couldn't go, just that the future SIL said no for whatever his reasons were. So I'm not sure why you're spinning that to this.

I started a NEW thread that is not in any way talking about the daughter or SIL on the other thread. That discussion is on that thread. As I said many people seemed to be saying in their replies there that they would not be able to travel if their spouse did not. That created a new topic in my mind. This thread is not about that thread. I referenced that thread because it's the habit here to call it a spin off when one thread creates a rabbit trail and spins off in another direction. People seem to like to know if the thought came from somewhere else on the board. It is done so that the other thread can stay on that topic and the new one can vear off in a new direction. The new direction is "do YOU travel without your spouse?"

We travel apart quite a lot - we have different interests. Doesn't make us less in love or married than anyone joined at the hip.
DH and I have a cruise out of Barcelona scheduled for September and on two days we are doing different tours - Rome and Naples. Figure we will meet up at dinner.
I also travel to see concerts (NY for Bruce Springsteen is coming up) so do a lot of overnight trips too.

OOoh. The different tours will be like double for your money. It'll give you lots to talk about at dinner! A cruise is probably a great way to be able to do different things but still be together. I'm hoping to try a European cruise sometime. That will be a benefit.

I like WDW for that reason. DH loves rides and I don't do coasters. There is plenty of other stuff for me to do while he does that.

[QUOTE="AndreaDM, post: 59224993, member: 217044"

I would love to go check into a hotel by the beach for a night alone, I think it would do me a world of good, but since I'm in Ohio that's kind of hard to do for a one-nighter![/QUOTE]

I'm less that two hours so the beach is an easy getaway! The only time it felt weird being alone was in the evening a little bit. It was kind of nice not to have to worry about anyone else.

I travel some for work and I always try to take advantage of it by spending the weekend before/after in whatever city they've sent me. Most of the time my DH doesn't come because it isn't in our budget to pay for his flights and the extra meals. I know he would almost always prefer to be with me, but he doesn't hold it against me that I have my little mini-trips when I get a chance. I've also taken friends trips and just got back from a WDW trip with just me and my mom. I think his big thing is more that he misses me when I'm gone rather than being envious that I'm doing stuff without him.

However, we do travel a lot together so we have plenty of vacation time with the two of us. If he didn't like to travel at all it would be weird for us since I love it so much. I don't know if it would be a deal breaker, but there would be serious discussions around it.

If I had a spouse, she'd probably have deep seated issues that would force me to travel alone for eternity. That's not a risk I'm willing to take so I'll just remain single.

Normally we travel together but I think we've done a few trips apart. He's gone fishing with his brothers and friends a few times over a weekend. A few times I've gone away with my family when DH just couldn't get off work. Other than that we go together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter