• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

S/O carry on etiquette

What is your opinion on the overhead bin space

• Backpacks/personal items should ALWAYS go under the seat

Votes: 65 40.9%
  • Backpacks/personal items should go under the seat if bin space becomes scarce.

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • I packed light so that I would have the leg space, my packpack is going in the overhead

Votes: 40 25.2%
  • Other - just because we need an other

Votes: 12 7.5%

• Total voters
Jet Blue has made changes the past few years. Neither check-in or carry-on luggage are automatically included.

The only thing included with lowest fare is a personal item, commonly a purse or briefcase or backpack. The dimensions of such that they will fit under the seat in front and not cross the line some planes have added.

Technically they are not free to put in the overhead bins. They allow it because it looks bad to deny when there’s room, and it just makes everybody’s flight better. It’s become a grey area though.

From Jet Blue -
All fares include 1 personal item that fits under the seat in front of you. This could be a purse, daypack, laptop bag or approved pet carrier. Personal items cannot exceed 17" L (43.2 cm) x 13" W (33 cm) x 8" H (20.32 cm).

Jet Blue has made changes the past few years. Neither check-in or carry-on luggage are automatically included.

The only thing included with lowest fare is a personal item, commonly a purse or briefcase or backpack. The dimensions of such that they will fit under the seat in front and not cross the line some planes have added.

Technically they are not free to put in the overhead bins. They allow it because it looks bad to deny when there’s room, and it just makes everybody’s flight better. It’s become a grey area though.

From Jet Blue -
All fares include 1 personal item that fits under the seat in front of you. This could be a purse, daypack, laptop bag or approved pet carrier. Personal items cannot exceed 17" L (43.2 cm) x 13" W (33 cm) x 8" H (20.32 cm).
I think the backpack/daypack is the key point there.

A backpack can be huge but a daypack is usually pretty small and lightweight and not much bigger than a totebag or purse. The difference between carrying a few snacks as you run around on a Saturday and a Saturday day long hike in the forest with food and safety gear. :tongue: I only say this because I bought a daypack for a run around doing errands bag and instantly returned it. My mom says my day to day 'backpack' looks like I am planning for Mt Everest.

I've seen people board a plane with a backpack that was bigger then the underseat area by about double. I think that's why the Jet Blue uses the word daypack instead of backpack.

I will take my personal item down if space is scarce. But usually my personal item fits on top of my suitcase in the overhead (another suitcase would not fit there anyway). If plane has those big overhead bins where you can turn the suitcase sideways, then my personal item doesn't fit on top, but I haven't been on one of those planes when there wasn't plenty of space.

My problem with having to check my roll-on bag is that it usually has multiple computers, spare batteries, etc in it. It's not allowed to go under the plane. Not sure what would happen if I got on the plane and there was no overhead space. Hadn't thought about that until just now.

Unpopular opinion though--those with status get to board earlier, and one of the perks advertised for that is availability of overhead space. I don't have status, but I think those people probably should be allowed to take advantage of that perk.

Also, I usually have a small bag inside my personal item with the stuff I need during the flight (my phone, headphones, chapstick) that I pull out of the bigger bag as soon as I get on the jetway. Never had any problems with that.

I think the backpack/daypack is the key point there.

A backpack can be huge but a daypack is usually pretty small and lightweight and not much bigger than a totebag or purse. The difference between carrying a few snacks as you run around on a Saturday and a Saturday day long hike in the forest with food and safety gear. :tongue: I only say this because I bought a daypack for a run around doing errands bag and instantly returned it. My mom says my day to day 'backpack' looks like I am planning for Mt Everest.

I've seen people board a plane with a backpack that was bigger then the underseat area by about double. I think that's why the Jet Blue uses the word daypack instead of backpack.
True. Ultimately it needs to be the stated dimensions. Using daypack also helps people understand personal item does not mean days worth of garments like backpack might sound to some people.

Should passenger B have to give up their legroom even though the backpack is taking up less bin space than the rollerboard? Is giving up the space the right thing to do so that other passengers don't get gate checked?
Nope. If passenger B boarded early enough to put his backpack in an available bin, it's his. I totally get this, my husband always puts his backpack in the bin so he has leg room. I, on the other hand, have short legs, I use my backpack under the seat so I have someplace to put my feet.

My backpack is not very wide, so there's still room under the seat for my personal item (purse) also.

Personally, I'm not fond of those people who board with a roll-aboard, backpack, and large tote. That's abuse.

I'll admit it came as a result of being eye-shamed when bringing my (very well behaved) kids on planes since they were infants. We ALWAYS bought them their own seat and ALWAYS had them strapped in a car seat for the duration but that did not stop the eye-shamers. When you are carrying a car seat through an airport, and for us, 2 car seats for a time, you cannot also carry a roller bag. A backpack, yes, but that's it. We also always sat in the back of the plane so we were out of the way. With that perspective, I can tell you with full confidence, it is not parents with kids, but the roller luggage army that hold up plane loading and unloading and it's not even close.

I'll save my rant for "lap kid" parents for another thread - or not. Suffice to say, I can't see how that's safe, and if that's allowed, why should I be paying for a seat for my kid in a car seat if there's an empty seat on the plane? No dog in this fight anymore - my kids are all grown - just seems wrong.
Okay I can respect that you've had some baggage (no pun intended) but I can't see how you being given the side eye about your kids since they were babies has created such a large beef with those that do carry ons to the point where you've got a grudge against them.

I'm 100% confident that you bringing kids onto the plane and getting side eye was more about potential issues with the kids from screaming, kicking the seats, playing with a tablet without headphones on, parents asking people to switch seats, etc than about the length of time you'd take to get off the plane. People probably saw the car seat and said (right or wrong just being realistic) under their breath "well I hope they aren't on my flight" for the reasons I mentioned not thinking "well great that's going to add time to us getting going or getting off the plane." And if you heard someone actually say it was for the length of time they might have just been trying to be a bit more polite than really say what they were thinking. Unfortunately the ones that aren't well-behaved or the ones parents ignore their poor behaviors win out in people's feelings.

As far as you can't carry a roller bag I have to interject this example in here from a recent flight, I wish I had taken a picture. There was a dad who had the 2 kids and a mom who had all their stuff that she carried plus another kid on her hip (how could I forget that..oof) and boy did she have some awkward stuff to carry. It was British Airways flight and they were boarding those with young kids first plus they were doing quick passport checks before you made it to the electronic machine. Whispers grew as we all saw how she was carrying all this stuff. I said to the people behind me (as we were all congregated at the gate....with a 500 passenger plane no less) "mom arms" and we all agreed and had a good chuckle. I don't say that to make any sort of statement but to bring some levity here :)

When you are carrying a car seat through an airport, and for us, 2 car seats for a time, you cannot also carry a roller bag. A backpack, yes, but that's it.
Oh, I've seen people do it. And argue that the babies get a bag and a carry-on as well.

Personally, I'm not fond of those people who board with a roll-aboard, backpack, and large tote. That's abuse.

That should have been caught at the gate when they scanned in. I did see the gate agent stop a couple who had this set up (they were right in front of me) and tell them they had to consolidate to the roller bags and ONE personal item each and if they couldn't they would have to gate check the roller bags. And when they started to head down the jetway, the agent said "Excuse me" to me and got them and made them stand next to her until they'd done one or the other. I honestly wasn't paying attention when they finally boarded to see if they'd done it or if the roller bags were checked. I thanked the gate agent profusely. She said the ONLY non-medical exception (at least with Southwest) to the one carry-on and one personal item is if the small extra bag is food to be consumed on the airplane - like if someone went to Burger King in the airport and was bringing it with them.

Only regional jets and smaller planes that don't have overhead space for suitcases will gate=check and then deliver them on the jetway after the flight. All other gate-checks get delivered to the baggage carousel upon arrival.

We are tall people and check all suitcases. My husband puts his backpack in the overhead, his knees are cramped enough already. I used to put my backpack under the seat but have lately taken to using a tote type bag. That goes in the overhead and I will keep my purse under the seat.

I feel zero guilt about using overhead space even if I just have one item. To keep the peace, I will move it if asked by a flight attendant.

If the babies have a ticketed seat then they do get a carry on and personal item.
I could see a diaper bag. But most of the time it strongly appears to be mom and/or dad getting extra bags. And trying to wrangle all of them plus a baby does add to boarding time.

I get that I'm in the minority thinking that. But honestly I feel the same way about toddlers with a carry-on their size where mom and/or dad end up carrying it and theirs.

I could see a diaper bag. But most of the time it strongly appears to be mom and/or dad getting extra bags. And trying to wrangle all of them plus a baby does add to boarding time.

I get that I'm in the minority thinking that. But honestly I feel the same way about toddlers with a carry-on their size where mom and/or dad end up carrying it and theirs.
Diaper bags are often allowed even with just a lap baby (not all airlines but many) as a personal item for the baby. If you purchase a ticket for your baby they are in effect a passenger just like everyone else and get a carry on. Call it a trade off for the parents paying for the ticket

I'm not going to check for accuracy but here's a chart I found for the different airlines from a blog post
1691788850243.png
1691789199250.png
1691789243627.png

I've seen some parents get called out when the gate agent doesn't have a ticket to scan for the baby but otherwise I'd assume that those carrying more have a paid ticket for the kid and those carrying a diaper bag as a lap baby still may be allowable depending on the airline.

As for adding to the time I think that's perceptional. You may perceive it adds to it but does it really? And I'm meaning the usage of "more" because every flight is different there are all sorts of different experiences one can have between all the different passengers. Sometimes some type of passenger is holding up the line, another time it's another. Maybe one time you've got a family traveling for the first time with the kids bringing everything and the kitchen sink completely overwhelmed and then another time it's the passenger who is taking their sweet time getting out of the seat, into the row and to get their carry on bag (or sometimes they don't even have one).

If the baby’s seat purchase includes a carryon shouldn’t matter if it’s grandpa’s gumball collection in there.

Don't look at the person (no matter how small). If the seat is purchased, then whoever is in the seat gets all the "perks"... including personal item & carry on.

So if I carry on a backpack and a purse, I have to cram both under the seat in front of me because technically they could fit? Nope, not happening
Ok. Do your thing. Personally, I’d put my purse in my backpack and under the seat it goes. Obviously everyone has a different approach :hippie:

He did pay for the whole row of seats.

Ok. Do your thing. Personally, I’d put my purse in my backpack and under the seat it goes. Obviously everyone has a different approach :hippie:
Yup, because I packed so I could have more legroom. Purse under seat, backpack overhead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter