S/O carry on etiquette

What is your opinion on the overhead bin space

• Backpacks/personal items should ALWAYS go under the seat

Votes: 65 40.9%
  • Backpacks/personal items should go under the seat if bin space becomes scarce.

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • I packed light so that I would have the leg space, my packpack is going in the overhead

Votes: 40 25.2%
  • Other - just because we need an other

Votes: 12 7.5%

• Total voters
I have seen Delta a lot recently forcing folks to consolidate down to two carry on items. So if a woman had an over the shoulder purse, a backpack, and a carry on suitcase, they wouldn't let her board until she put the purse in the backpack.

I understand it, but what keeps her from taking the purse out of the backpack while on the jetbridge?
This is United's policy although not sure how much it's enforced. One personal item (purse) and one carry-on. I have a small cross body travel purse that I could stick in my backpack if I wanted and then get a third item if I so desired.

I can't remember the last time I used an overhead bin. My carryon is usually a large zippered tote-bag that contains my laptop, Kindle, snacks, headphones and charging cords. I like to have it nearby so I take take things out during the flight. The bag fits nicely under the seat in front of me along with my purse. If I want more leg room, I pull it back under my knees and stretch my legs out over it. DH does the same with his carryon. If he brings his small camera bag, he puts it in the overhead. It's my job to remind him to grab it before we leave the plane.

This depends on which airline you are using and the type of fare booked.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/travel/airlines-with-free-baggage
Yeah the 2 of us use Jet Blue often. Using points gets the free carryon and paying the tax with the JB Card gets a free checked 50lb luggage. That’s more than enough for us. Often we’ll share one checked and each bring a carryon. It’s frustrating when there’s no overhead bin space nearby. We usually pick rows 11-13 because DH wants the legroom of more space. Lately we have to walk to the back of the plane to find an over head bin spot.

I think passengers have grown accustomed to sticking their carryon in the first available overhead bin. 👎 That’s in response to airlines getting more and more aggressive with upcharges. They want to make sure the expense of their carryon isn’t met with having to check it. Just sucks that I’m not using all my permitted baggage, buying $80pp ‘more space’, and still end up having to stick our carryons 40 rows behind us.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I always CHECK my bag, then bring on a backpack with things I will want on the plane or can't live without should the bag get lost, and that goes under the seat so I have easy access to it. I DO NOT USE the overhead bin because I just don't want to be part of the problem. IMHO, if everyone else did this, flights would depart on time - but no, we get far too many people carrying overstuffed rollers onto the plane, that then take FOR-EV-ER to get crammed into the overhead, then take a second FOR-EV-ER to get dislodged when we land, not to mention people getting clocked in the head, or dude clogging up the aisle because their bag ended up rows away from their actual seat, and, gosh darnit, they are just far too important to wait until everyone else is off the plane before retrieving their bag.

God bless the flight attendants - I am pretty sure I would lose it on a daily basis watching all that go down every flight.

Is there space in the overhead bins for everyone to store something up there?

In the past , we (DH and I) always had gym bag and back pack under seats. Now we had to add medical stuff, (cpap etc) and that bag (DVC tote bag) needs to go overhead.

Some people bring on bags I'm shocked fit in overhead bins.

I posted other.

If you are carrying on 2 bags, the smaller one goes under the seat and the larger in the bin. Full stop. Taking up 2 spaces in the overhead bin is selfish and against most airline policies.

If you JUST have a backpack, and you want to put it in the bin, go right ahead. Although isn't the point of a backpack to have access to your things during the flight? Are you unpacking your phone, tablet, headphones, hand wipes, snacks, neck pillow, sweatshirt, medications, etc at your seat before stashing away the bag in the overhead bin? Seems like a pain to do that. I like having my backpack or tote bag under the seat so I can grab things as needed during the flight.

But I also take primarily LONG flights.

If I am on a day trip, I typically only have a somewhat small bag and I like it near my feet because it holds the stuff I want to have while flying.
DH, on the other hand, needs the legroom for his 6'3 self so he puts his backpack in the overhead. So, while, I personally do not use the bin space if I only have the one small bag, I defend my husband's right to use it.

His bag is smaller than the typical roller so is is being less inconsiderate that those who fill the bin with overstuffed bags.

Is giving up the space the right thing to do so that other passengers don't get gate checked?
I think it's the right thing to do.

But we don't always do the right thing, do we? I have been Passenger B and not offered to give up the overhead bin space. Is that selfish of me?

With most airlines treating the over head bins as privileged access now there’s absolutely no reason space is running out. Unless they’re overselling somehow.

I have seen Delta a lot recently forcing folks to consolidate down to two carry on items. So if a woman had an over the shoulder purse, a backpack, and a carry on suitcase, they wouldn't let her board until she put the purse in the backpack.

I understand it, but what keeps her from taking the purse out of the backpack while on the jetbridge?
I do this all the time too, lol. Both the purse and the backpack fit under the seat, so I'm not taking up any extra room. But at least on SW they always state this is an FAA regulation, so if they ask me to do it, I do it. (Now I do it preemptively so I don't have to step out of the boarding line to do it if they ask.)

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I always CHECK my bag, then bring on a backpack with things I will want on the plane or can't live without should the bag get lost, and that goes under the seat so I have easy access to it. I DO NOT USE the overhead bin because I just don't want to be part of the problem. IMHO, if everyone else did this, flights would depart on time - but no, we get far too many people carrying overstuffed rollers onto the plane, that then take FOR-EV-ER to get crammed into the overhead, then take a second FOR-EV-ER to get dislodged when we land, not to mention people getting clocked in the head, or dude clogging up the aisle because their bag ended up rows away from their actual seat, and, gosh darnit, they are just far too important to wait until everyone else is off the plane before retrieving their bag.

God bless the flight attendants - I am pretty sure I would lose it on a daily basis watching all that go down every flight.

Not unpopular at all! I feel the same way. The travesty of what people bring on the plane and try to force in the bins is, well, it's entertainment actually!

But we don't always do the right thing, do we? I have been Passenger B and not offered to give up the overhead bin space. Is that selfish of me?
Nope. If your fare includes a carry on you are just as entitled to bin space as any other passenger. And if your bag is a backpack you're probably taking up less space than someone with a suitcase, anyway.

like everything else in travel people have gone completely crazy with the overhead bin use. it's become such a thing. i don't even use it anymore but the amount of mess people stuff up there is insane to me.

designate one spot per seat. or get rid of it and give me a more spacious plane. i'll pay the 30 bucks. ugh.

It's me, hi, I'm the problem, it's me (sorry, I think I'm the one who sorta derailed the other thread with overhead bin comments. It was slightly related but also slightly not).

Anyway, my backpack always goes under the seat in front of me, regardless of whether I put a small roller bag in the overhead bin or I have a checked bag. It's primarily because all my 'in-flight' stuff is there (tablet, snacks, water, etc.) so I want easy access. And partially because it fits, so that leaves more room in the overhead bins.

I fly SW all the time, and they are constantly repeating during boarding to put smaller items under the seat in front of you and leave the overhead bins for the larger items/roller bags). So that's probably been drilled into my head too. lol.

Not unpopular at all! I feel the same way. The travesty of what people bring on the plane and try to force in the bins is, well, it's entertainment actually!

I agree. At that point just check a bag. I can’t imagine checking in, going through security, walking all the way to your gate with the amount of stuff people bring onto the plane.

My in laws are guilty of this. If it’s allowed they are taking it and filling it to the maximum size/weight allowed. Then she wonders why she’s so stressed come travel day. Look at all of the crap you have!! Just taking them to the airport is a nightmare.

Nothing is stopping her. The point is that the rule is 2 carry on items per person (with some exceptions for medical items). If airlines allow someone to have a 3rd item as long as it's "small," they will need to define "small" to prevent people from boarding with 3 items only 1 of which fits under the seat, which leads to people placing 2 items in the overhead compartment, which leads to running out of space.

I have frequently taken my purse back out of my bag after I'm in my seat and put it under the seat in front of me next to my bag, sometimes next to a jacket that I wore onto the plane. As long as all of my carryons fit completely under the seat, the flight attendents have never asked me to move them.

I have short legs, so I don't need much space at my feet and can barely reach the overhead compartment. Therefore if I have only 1 bag, it always stays in front of me. As long as other people put only 1 bag in the overhead, it doesn't bother me if they leave the space at their feet empty.

We are tall people and check all suitcases. My husband puts his backpack in the overhead, his knees are cramped enough already. I used to put my backpack under the seat but have lately taken to using a tote type bag. That goes in the overhead and I will keep my purse under the seat.

I feel zero guilt about using overhead space even if I just have one item. To keep the peace, I will move it if asked by a flight attendant.

We are tall people and check all suitcases. My husband puts his backpack in the overhead, his knees are cramped enough already. I used to put my backpack under the seat but have lately taken to using a tote type bag. That goes in the overhead and I will keep my purse under the seat.

I feel zero guilt about using overhead space even if I just have one item. To keep the peace, I will move it if asked by a flight attendant.
I don't need more foot space, I need knee space. I swear the airlines just don't get that, or streight-up don't care. I am average size and DD is 5'2". She just about took a guy's head off one time because he reclined and knocked the seat into HER knees!

Oooh - guess I better not get into the "Recline/don't recline" debate though. That's OT here and sure to be devisive. After all, there are two kinds of people, those who believe you should not recline, and those who are completely wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter