• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RV travelers- do your kids sit buckled in car seats for your whole drive?

Have you thought about driving down to FL in your own vehicle and renting down there? That way your DH could go get the RV and you and the kids could hang out somewhere at "The World".

We flew into Salt Lake City last summer and rented a pickup truck and 30' trailer to visit Yellowstone. We were pleasantly suprised at how reasonable the rental fees were. We had such a great time that we bought a 29' trailer last fall and will be camping at FW in our own trailer 8/08.:banana:

You could also have a rental trailer delivered to your campsite at the Fort. I think the rates are fairly reasonable in the Orlando area. The trailer we rented in Salt Lake City was about $850 for 9 days. This would still be less expensive than the cabins (but less room and convenience).

I would take the RV and do the road trip, but I also have a very tolerant comfort zone and am probably much more prone to accept risk in my life. Would you be safer in a passenger car than unbuckled in an RV? Probably. Either way, it isn't going to be pretty at 65 mph. But I think it's worth the risk to get a chance to see the scenery along the way in a comfortable ride. Somewhere between "What if?" and "What next?" is where all the fun is.

I hope you enjoy the ride.:woohoo:

Great replys, this is one hot topic on rv message boards. We have a 29ft Class C we use mostly for traveling, very little camping. Our kids are 11, 9, 7 and 2. For the most part they are buckled while we are in motion, but that is not a "hard and fast" rule for us. The kids do use the back bed to rest, sleep and watch movies while we are in motion (and yes, they do use the bathroom). This is an honest response, and you have to do what you are comfortable with. We try to keep the little one (2) in his car seat as much as possible. Our rv has the teather hooks for a car seat on the floor behind the forward facing dinette seat.

Enjoy your vacation and your trip, rving has been a great way for our family to travel and enjoy being together.

. Somewhere between "What if?" and "What next?" is where all the fun is.
:

What a lovely way to look at things!

Thanks everyone. We've thought long and hard on this and what really helped us make our decision was the cost spreadsheet I made with all of our different options for going to WDW. Our last trip was a nice long VWL trip and it was fantastic. We were booked for the exact same trip this year but we decided to save a little money this time around. Once I had every option listed (take our car, take an rv, fly, tent camp, rent a trailer, DDP, no DDP) with a total "package" price, I showed it to my dh.

The cost of tent camping and driving our own car was just too tempting. We stopped talking about safety issues (my husband is a "What next?" and I'm a "What if?") and got back to cost. We love tent camping and our kids, though really young, are tent camping troopers. They did a beach trip recently in 95 degree heat and lots of wind/sand and they had a fantastic time with nary a tear. So for now, our adventure is going to be what happens to be the most cost-effective. We're still happy because a year with WDW is better than a year without. And the money we save on the rv rental (over $2000 when gas is included) can go to our savings or our next big adventure.

We're looking at National Park visits soon, so I know an RV is not too far in the future for us. Thinking about safety concerns will help us decide what choices to make when that time comes.

For now, we're going to be crazy Disney tent campers, living the camping high-life with the DDP. (Coming from a gal who swore she would never, EVER do the DDP!)

Thanks for all of the help and thanks for keeping it civil!

Meg

Have you ever thought how that panic stop or swerve is going to work out with 5,000 lbs(or however much your 5th wheel weighs) back there?
snip...
I think your post is implying that motorhomes are not safe for children and I think that you are wrong, but to each his own I guess.

Yeah, we've had a panic stop while towing our 5th wheel. Very scary but all was well. Even if the truck were to turn over I still believe that my kids would be safer in the F-350 than a motorhome. That's just my opinion and like I said before it's a very personal thing. Each person has to decide for themselves what they are comfortable with.

I am really on the fence about the safety of children in a motorhome. I don't know one way or the other -- so we err on the side of caution. When we were considering buying a Class A I was bothered by the fact that there was no place to put my kid's carseats. The dinette wouldn't work -- it had seatbelts -- but have you seen video of the crash test kid buckled into a carseat correctly? The legs and arms and head fly forward even in the carseat. That table could do some damage. The sofa is not forward facing and carseats are not supposed to be used facing sideways. So... for me... I just didn't feel comfortable.

My MIL and FIL are looking at Class A coaches very hard right now. Their first (of many I'm sure) GK was born 6 mos ago and this is the reason they are upgrading from a 5th wheel. MIL has asked every dealership about the seat belt/car seat regulations and they all say the same thing; there is no law about having to have a seat belt in a coach. MIL and FIL were fine with it until SIL and BIL said oh no, he's getting buckled in.

Now MIL questions a little harder about seat belts, and has since learned the newer models are coming out with some sort of hook system that is bolted to the floor. The idea is that the seat belt locks down to the bolt and the car seat goes nowhere. Those hooks are located behind the dinette set.

The coach my IL's are seriously looking at getting seats 12 and has seat belts for all 12 passengers.

Sorry, I don't see what all the debate is about. Respect the law, love the kid, use seat belts always! Don't use excuses, don't try to envision what/if scenarios and why the child might be protected if unrestrained, use a seat belt and a car seat. If the child needs to get out of the seat, pull over and get out. If you cannot find a suitable child restraint in the particular RV that you intend to use, either have one installed or drive something else. The bottom line is do not risk your child's safety just because you "feel" safe.

P.S. This is not a flame...just trying to look out for the little ones. ;)

What we see are people seeking validation for what they do. They really aren't interested in doing the right thing, so they rationalize and seek approval from others. I have two children who are grown now. They have travelled and gone camping with us since birth and have always been belted in. I can't understand how a parent can allow a 3 year old child to control them. When the vehicle is in motion, the child should be restrained. If they have to go to the bathroom, then pull over and stop to allow them to go. Personally, I think not buckling a child in a moving vehicle is negligent. Flame out.

What we see are people seeking validation for what they do. They really aren't interested in doing the right thing, so they rationalize and seek approval from others. I have two children who are grown now. They have travelled and gone camping with us since birth and have always been belted in. I can't understand how a parent can allow a 3 year old child to control them. When the vehicle is in motion, the child should be restrained. If they have to go to the bathroom, then pull over and stop to allow them to go. Personally, I think not buckling a child in a moving vehicle is negligent. Flame out.

That's why we've decided to go with the tent. Both kids will ride in our car in 5pt harnesses and we'll have a great time! :)

It's funny, I've always been a safety conscious mom, but having no clue about rv living at all, it never crossed my mind that these things actually move. It sounded like a great idea for when we "get there" but the actual driving time never really crossed my mind and when it did, I was still thinking of it as a house rather than a moving vehicle. Giving it some thought, we love tent camping and we love buckled-in kids, and we love spending over $2000 less, so tent camping and driving our car is the way to go for us!

I think you made a wise and well thought out choice. My life tends to be black and white and I see no room for compromise when it comes to a safety issue. Looking back on our many camping trips as the kids were small, I can't think of a single one that was ruined because the kids were strapped in while travelling. When I talk to them next, I will ask them if being restrained while driving affected their good times at all. My guess is no.

My life tends to be black and white and I see no room for compromise when it comes to a safety issue.
With all due respect, every one of us makes decisions when it comes to the safety of children - and we don't always do what is absolutely safest. We take children with us on errands, when the safest thing would be to leave the children at home. We drive routes that require making left turns across traffic, when there are safer routes. We let children participate in activities and events during which they could get hurt.

Parenting is hard. Making decisions about what risks you are and aren't willing to let your kids take is agonizing. But don't kid yourself - don't be deluded. ALL parents make compromises.

With all due respect, every one of us makes decisions when it comes to the safety of children - and we don't always do what is absolutely safest.

It is true that we cannot protect out children from everything and we do on occasion allow them to take calculated risks. However some risks are simply unnecessary and unacceptable. Such as, allowing them to play with loaded guns, to play in the street or to ride unrestrained in a motor vehicle.

I'm sorry but allowing a child to go without a seat belt is neglect. It cannot be compared to driving down the road, walking to the mailbox or playing with their friends. There is a quantum difference between these issues. One requires the individual to withdraw from life, the other simply protects life.

Bottom line, stop making excuses and buckle up!

With all due respect, every one of us makes decisions when it comes to the safety of children - and we don't always do what is absolutely safest. We take children with us on errands, when the safest thing would be to leave the children at home. We drive routes that require making left turns across traffic, when there are safer routes. We let children participate in activities and events during which they could get hurt.

Parenting is hard. Making decisions about what risks you are and aren't willing to let your kids take is agonizing. But don't kid yourself - don't be deluded. ALL parents make compromises.

Rationalization for validation.

Okay, so really, what do you do if the kids are going to sleep? Older kids, not carseat age? A previous poster mentioned having a horizontal harness. It's not that I want them banging around free, but seriously I don't know what to do. Do you all just always stop early so it's not an issue? Does anyone have any suggestions for what we do if we drive all night?

We have 4 kids and a class C. They sit on the sofa, dinette and also lay on the queen bed in back. We feel comfortable with our decesions. Freedom and comfort is why we got an RV to begin with.

First, I'm sorry it took so long to get back to those who were interested in the harnesses I spoke of.

Second, I'm happy to see I didn't get flamed. It means that the majority of folks keep their kids buckled in.

below is the link for the booster seat and harness
http://www.ezonpro.com/products/familyVehicle/kidY.shtml

and the harness for laying down
http://www.ezonpro.com/products/medicalTransport/modifiedVest.shtml

we really don't like the booster seat because it is 2 pieces and if the child moves side to side the top part flops over. We feel this is dangerous. We found a 1 piece booster seat with a flat top (rather than rounded) and use the harness with that to make a 5 point harness for her.

I really wished the RV manufacturers would put shoulder belts at the dinette and sofa. You would think with all the technology they would think of a way to make a shoulder belt that slides into a pocket in the cushions when not needed. Lap belts can be dangerous as well.....although they would keep you from becoming a projectile.

Hope this helps

How many parents who would never let their kid ride in a car un-buckled, have let their kid ride on a school bus? How many of those same parents have looked into or questioned the safety of un-buckled kids riding on the school bus? It's amazing what public service ads can do.

How many parents who would never let their kid ride in a car un-buckled, have let their kid ride on a school bus? How many of those same parents have looked into or questioned the safety of un-buckled kids riding on the school bus? It's amazing what public service ads can do.

School buses were designed such that kids are restrained...not by a seat belt but by being contained in their little seat area. The front of the seat in front of them is padded so if they go flying it isn't very far and they can't hit into other passengers. In an RV everything would not be padded and there could be a large area you could fly into.

Wow, the wife, kids and I are just gonna curl up in a giant bubble and wait for the end.:hippie: There are more motor vehicle accidents compared to RV's. Use common sense, we love our kids, we drive responsibly, and they are buckled when need be. But we would rather be in a Class A or C in an accident any day. Ever seen a fifth wheel that lost control and tossed the tow vehicle every which way. Glad you decided how to make FW work for you, but don't let the responses to this thread be the end all determination to RV'ing. You would be missing out, the same way we don't tent but I'm sure there's something we're missing out on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter