Running watch, garmin, etc.

NileNellie

Mouseketeer
My husband and I just finished the dark side half, and we use runkeeper to keep track of our intervals. I noticed along the course a lot of runners had watches that beeped at them for their intervals. As run keeper really drains the cell phone battery, I'd like to get a watch which does the same thing. I already have a fitbit so I don't really care about steps, but would still like to watch distance and beep during my intervals. I was thinking the Garmin Forerunner 10 would be a good choice, but does anyone else have any ideas/recommendations? do you like the one that you currently have?

Thanks!

I bought earlier this year, the garmin FR230.. I had an older FR310xt.. The biggest reason for the 230 for me is just plain battery life.. Plus I wear it day to day as a watch. I'm sure the FR10 is just a fine device, I just wanted some extra features.

I bought earlier this year, the garmin FR230.. I had an older FR310xt.. The biggest reason for the 230 for me is just plain battery life.. Plus I wear it day to day as a watch. I'm sure the FR10 is just a fine device, I just wanted some extra features.

I'll second this one! I use the FR235, which is essentially the same watch as the FR230, it just adds on-wrist heart rate monitoring. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Or, you could even look for the old FR220 model that should do what you need for significantly less than the "current" models.

I have the Forerunner 10. It's super basic, but it works for me. The only problem I have is that it can sometimes take a while to find the GPS satellites, so if you like to start running the second you leave the house, you may want to stick the watch outdoors and have it find the satellites before you start (I like to walk a little before I start running, so this isn't a problem for me, but I've had it take 7-8 minutes to find a satellite).
If all you need is something to measure distance, pace, and intervals, the Forerunner 10 is great. I'd definitely recommend it. Just be aware that it might take a while to get used to hearing the beeps. I was so used to having the beeps come from my headphones that for the first few weeks I missed a few intervals because I just didn't hear it. But it got better and now I have no problem hearing the beeps, even when I'm wearing something that covers my ears.

I have a Garmin 230. I love the watch but it does have a few issues in the fact that intervals are not exactly what I would like and during the Wine and Dine half 2 years ago (the splash and dash) the watch died in the last 2 miles. I was shocked because it is a watch I was told would last for a very long time so I'm not really sure why a relatively new Garmin didn't make it through a half. It may have been a fluke as I don't think it died during Avengers the next week.

I have a Garmin 230. I love the watch but it does have a few issues in the fact that intervals are not exactly what I would like and during the Wine and Dine half 2 years ago (the splash and dash) the watch died in the last 2 miles. I was shocked because it is a watch I was told would last for a very long time so I'm not really sure why a relatively new Garmin didn't make it through a half. It may have been a fluke as I don't think it died during Avengers the next week.

You might want to get in touch with Garmin. Sounds like you might have one with a defective battery. My 235 will last through a week's worth of running and has been through a full marathon without coming close to killing off the battery. What don't you like about the intervals, out of curiosity? I've found them to be very customizable.

I have the Garmin Forerunner 220 and love it! I would just make sure you get one that has Bluetooth to sync with your phone, unless that is not important to you. My battery stays charged for multiple runs, including long runs, and I was able to find it on eBay for relatively cheap since it is an older model.

You might want to get in touch with Garmin. Sounds like you might have one with a defective battery. My 235 will last through a week's worth of running and has been through a full marathon without coming close to killing off the battery. What don't you like about the intervals, out of curiosity? I've found them to be very customizable.

I haven't used it since 2015 but am plugging it back up for the first time tonight as I've been in a funk and slowly pulling my way out of it. If I remember it was just that you couldn't set anything besides 15, 30, 45 etc. I was going to do a 20/20 interval as a running friend said Galloway was saying that is a good interval and I couldn't set it. I will admit I just may have no clue how to actually use the darn thing.

I just went in and it is only :00 :15 :30 and :45. I've been wearing the watch, again without using the GPS part yet, and it has lasted at least 2 weeks on watch or indoor running mode and still had 50% battery.. Plus I LOVE that you can download custom watch faces / custom data fields etc etc.. And I admit I like the notifications ie: text messages.. I can see them without having to chase down my phone at work..

I was thinking the Garmin Forerunner 10 would be a good choice, but does anyone else have any ideas/recommendations?

The only problem I have is that it can sometimes take a while to find the GPS satellites, so if you like to start running the second you leave the house, you may want to stick the watch outdoors and have it find the satellites before you start (I like to walk a little before I start running, so this isn't a problem for me, but I've had it take 7-8 minutes to find a satellite).

I would not get the Forerunner 10 because of the GPS acquisition time that @SarahDisney discussed. But all the newer models are pretty quick on satellite acquisition. Depending on your price point, I would pick either the Garmin Forerunner 25 ($140), 230 ($250/$300) or 235 ($330). The prices are from Amazon and for the Forerunner 230, the first price is without the heart rate monitor chest strap, and the second is the bundle with the heart rate monitor. The Forerunner 235 has a wrist (optical) heart rate monitor, so you don't need a chest strap. All of these will be able to time run/walk intervals for you.

I have the older version of the Forerunner 235 (the 225) and love it!

I just went in and it is only :00 :15 :30 and :45. I've been wearing the watch, again without using the GPS part yet, and it has lasted at least 2 weeks on watch or indoor running mode and still had 50% battery.. Plus I LOVE that you can download custom watch faces / custom data fields etc etc.. And I admit I like the notifications ie: text messages.. I can see them without having to chase down my phone at work..

Hm I must have a pretty old FR230 because I don't think mine allows for notifications. Unless there was an update I haven't done that allows that.

I bought a refurb 10 on amazon for $50. I wasnt sure what i needed vs wanted and figured to try a cheap one first to figure it out.. It comes with a year warranty and ive had zero issues..

I have a forerunner 10 that I bought as soon as they came on the market. At the time, all I wanted was a super basic watch that showed me my distance and pace, which it does. It also had the add'l feature of doing intervals. It was hands down worth every penny I spent on it. The satellite signal can be slow to pick up so what I do is I put it on my counter and turn it on while I get ready. By the time I'm dressed it always has a signal and is ready to go. I think its great for an entry level gps watch and a friend just bought one.

All that being said I do want a new one this year. I want one with wifi so I dont have to connect it to the computer to upload my runs. And honestly thats the only feature I want that the 10 doesn't have.

I have the Forerunner 610. It is just over 3 years old. I can adjust the intervals to the second. I get a couple of weeks as watch only. Using it non stop GPS I will get 7 hours. Next watch will be the one that @FFigawi has. Think it is the 920. Need it for the triathlons I will be doing. Waterproof with a long battery life.

I bought a refurb 10 on amazon for $50. I wasnt sure what i needed vs wanted and figured to try a cheap one first to figure it out.. It comes with a year warranty and ive had zero issues..

That's what I did and I agree. I only wear it when I run outside so this was the best price point for a watch that tracks mileage and intervals.

It can take awhile to get your location but I've found that once I've found it in a location it doesn't take as long on later. I can get two to three 5 to 8 Mike runs on 1 charge but I only use it once a week for my long run and turn it off once I'm done.

I have the Forerunner 610. It is just over 3 years old. I can adjust the intervals to the second. I get a couple of weeks as watch only. Using it non stop GPS I will get 7 hours. Next watch will be the one that @FFigawi has. Think it is the 920. Need it for the triathlons I will be doing. Waterproof with a long battery life.

I do have a 920. Best GPS watch I've owned. You can buy them from a store in England for about $310 including shipping, which is about $130 less than in the US.

On a side note, I still have my 910 & would be happy to part with it for the right price. I have my old 305 too, a wonderful running watch at the time, that still has the best pace smoothing algorithm of all the Garmins I've used.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 15 and it's usually good about locating satellites, but there have been a few times where it took more than 5 minutes.
I like the Garmin connect feature too as it logs all of my runs and gives a nice display of my pace throughout each run.
I just use the watch to track my distance and pace. As for intervals, I use a simple Gym Boss clip on and I love it.

I have a Garmin 210 and a Galloway interval timer. I use my watch for pacing and timing and my timer for interval. It just clips onto my waistband and I have the choice of beeping or vibrating to mark them or both. It is customisable down to the second which has allowed me to play with what works for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter