running shoes - how many pairs

The biggest reason to have more than 1 or 2 pair of running shoes is the constant change. Even if you stick with the same model (example - Nike Pegasus), every year they come out with a new version of the shoe. The new version is often structurally unlike previous versions. Every time a new version comes out, you have to go through the entire shoe choice regimen again. This mans trial and error, with some of the errors possibly producing running injuries.

I buy shoes once/year to avoid this, and I buy them between training seasons in case a new shoe type causes me issues. I buy one pair, try it out for a few weeks, then buy 4 more pair to get me through the entire running year once I know that the shoes will work for me. It minimizes my injury risks throughout the season.

Now, my wife thinks that this is boring because all of my running shoes look exactly the same. I number each pair with permanent markers so I can track their mileage, but she is right - they look the same. Thing is, I don't care. I'd rather have boring shoes than have to deal with injuries.

One of the things that I do to mitigate the potential for change bringing injury is to buy past models. Once I know that a model works for me, rather than buy the new model that comes out, I go bargain surfing for the superseded model on sites like ebay and 6pm.com. Not only does that ensure continuity of model for the shoes for another year or two (you can usually find a couple of model years back), it typically saves a significant amount of money. I typically run in Brooks Glycerin, which are on model 14 now. After the 13s came out last year, I was able to find the 12s, which I was currently running in, for $60/pair rather than their normal $150/pair retail. This strategy doesn't completely address the need to evaluate new models, but it can at least make it 2-3 year cycle rather than an annual event, if the shoe is being updated every year.

at least buy your first few pairs from them. After that, go ahead and buy them online.

It seems to me that is that the PP was saying. Although, I don't think anyone should feel bound to buy more than one pair of shoes from their LRS.

I have too many to count, probably 20 active pairs. And I just bought another pair tonight. I bargain shop. I know what my general shoe size is for my favorite manufacturers. Or I do some research. If I try on a pair at the LRS, I will buy it from them.

I run about 42+ miles a week and 55+ at the end of a marathon training session. I go through shoes quite a bit. I have some for the track, so for slogging through long miles, some for moderate runs, and some for racing. And racing 5ks is different than marathons.

I have too many to count, probably 20 active pairs.
Holy cow! Where do you keep them? My wife won't even let me keep mine in the house because they are too dirty and smelly from all of my trail runs.

I currently have three pairs but I am only actively using one pair. I have a pair of retired running shoes that's at 450+ miles that I use for walking around day to day if I need sneakers which is a rare occurrence, the pair I'm currently wearing down is at 165 miles and I'll start rotating when they get to 200-250. That's the purpose of the third pair which is sitting in my room waiting to be used.

I will say absolutely go to the running store and try them on and then buy them there especially if you're just starting out because many stores will allow you to return them if after say three miles they hurt in a way they didn't after a quick jog around the store. I know Road Runner Sports is good for this and many local running stores seem to be as well. As others have said your mileage may vary on whether the same shoes will be good year to year. I've gotten lucky in that my Brooks Glycerins have yet to change majorly (though I haven't tried the 14s) so I've been sitting in the same shoes for a few pairs.

I have been running a little over a year. I made it about 400 miles in my first pair of shoes according to RunKeeper. I would have kept running in them except a hole was tearing in the fabric above my big toe! My shoe of choice is not very expensive so I figured a year was a good point to replace them.

Honestly I got lucky with my shoes. I went to the Asics Outlet store near me and gave an inexpensive pair a try and now I can't imagine running in anything else. They are a very good fit for me (Gel-Contend 3).

Holy cow! Where do you keep them? My wife won't even let me keep mine in the house because they are too dirty and smelly from all of my trail runs.

We got a cheap little fabric shelf thing from Ikea. It sits right by the front door. My wife probably has more running shoes than I do. For instance, I just got a new pair today and she got two.

This doesn't even count the ones sitting in a bag upstairs that I need to donate.

I have 30 pair of Pegasus 32 and 33 on my shelf right now.
5 of them are fresh in the box for upcoming races.
10 pair are used for training runs
15 pair are used for casual wear/wearing to work.

Run most of my races with Homes For Our Troops, so always looking for something that matches our Jerseys.

Adding that I work for a large sports company/running shoe company so my number is small compared to many of my co-workers collections. hahahahaha And yes, I have a shoe problem. But they are cheaper than Jordans or Air Force Ones. LOL

I usually have three pairs I run in and maybe a few new shoes waiting to replace them as they wear out. I have my normal training shoes that I also wear for races longer than 10K, racing flats for shorter races and track work, and trail racing shoes. I also purchase the replacement shoes for each long before I am ready for them so I have them and, if a model has changed, I can try them out before they are needed. That way if they aren't going to work I can look for an alternative.

As for how long I wear them, I go by feel. I can usually tell when the cushioning goes. I also track all my runs on the paid version of SportTracks and you can track mileage there. My normal training shoes have been the same model now for about 10 years (Mizuno Wave Riders) and I can get between 400 and 600 miles on them depending on which year's model it is.

When the racing flats go they get thrown out but the training and trail shoes become gym and casual walking around shoes when they are no longer good for running.

I think in general there are a couple reasons to have more than one pair of shoes.
1. Rotation. Shoes last for a set amount of time. I have some friends that will have multiple of the same running shoe that they use for training and racing. They don't ever want to run a race in a shoe that's at the end or beginning of it's life. Rotating 2 or 3 pairs of the same shoes enables you to have pairs at a couple different mileage numbers (IE one pair is at 50 miles and the other is at 450 miles.) Rotation is also helpful if you happen to sweat a lot or wind up running through the rain. You'll have a pair to run in while your other pair dries out.

2. Different running surfaces. If you run trails and you run road you really need different shoes for those types of conditions. You may also find that you like different shoes for treadmills than you do for road. I find that I can run get a little more mileage out of shoes on crushed gravel or treadmills than on pavement.

3. Run type. A lot of people will have different shoes depending on what type of run they are doing. My long run shoes are typically heavier and more cushioned than my racing shoes. I have an even lighter less cushioned shoe for speedwork.

There have been some people that have said that different shoes cause your body to work in slightly different ways. As a result wearing different shoes can actually make you stronger and less injury prone. (as noted above in though changing drop can lead to issues to.)

So I have 5 pairs of general use long run shoes (4adidas energy boost, 1 saucony ISO triumph), 1 pair of speedwork shoes (saucony A5), 1 pair of marathon race shoes ( adidas boston boost), 2 pairs of tempo run shoes (adidas adios boost), 1 trail racing shoe ( saucony kinvara trail), 1 trail long run shoe (hoka bondi) Those are in my general rotation now, but I need to retire 2 pairs of the energy boosts. I have far too many pairs of shoes that have turned into general walking around shoes.

I'm going to say 4 pairs: 2 pairs of trail shoes, and 2 pairs of street shoes. I also track my distance using Garmin, and Sharpie the date placed into service on the instep. That helps me to tell same make/model twins apart.

When I start to complain too much about shin and/or knee pain, I know it is time. Recently, I took my 2015 Wine & Dine race shoes to the local running store, to see if any insoles would help prolong their life. They gave me the bad news- it is time to retire them from running. Fortunately, I have 3 pair just like them in reserve in the closet.

I now have four pairs of Glycerin 13s. My current pair which will rotate soon. A backup in a Europe exclusive color, and I bought two when they were half price on last week an Aurora pair and a regular pair in a different color. I name them things based on the color so I can track them on Garmin.

@PaDisneyCouple on a totally unrelated note, if you don't mind me asking. Max is such a cutie! Where did you adopt Max from? We used to adopt ours from NGAP but I think they're more local to Philly and PA is rather large.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter