running shoes - how many pairs

Nana2Callie

DIS Veteran
Just curious... as I'm getting into running. How many pairs of running shoes do you own and how often do you switch them out? Also, how do you find a good "running shoe" store? We live in small town America.

Hey! There is a great running thread that is very supportive and informative

I have been running for a little over 3 years. I started with 1 pair of shoes. We have a great local running store that fitted me. I now have up to 3 shoes in rotation during marathon training season. Everyone is different, but my shoes last approximately 300-350 miles. I use Garmin Connect (my running watch is a Garmin) to track my shoe mileage. I believe Strava also has a show tracker too.

Just curious... as I'm getting into running. How many pairs of running shoes do you own and how often do you switch them out? Also, how do you find a good "running shoe" store? We live in small town America.

At most points, I am rotating two pair of running shoes (basically just alternate between shoes). Similar to @ebradley23, I use Garmin Connect to track the mileage and usually get about 350 miles per pair.

Also, I use Road Runner Sports (http://www.roadrunnersports.com/) and order my shoes online, unless I need to test shoes out when I use a local running store.

I rotate 3 or 4 pair at one time, tracking mileage for each to 300 then I go by feel. I never wear the same pair two days/runs in a row.

I use one for running and one for cross training but I also don't run two days in a row.

My one suggestion/caution would be to make sure you are used to both shoes before switching. I had switched to a shoe with less cushion and rise and then found my previous shoe on sale. I wanted to wear the previous shoe with more cushion for some runs and used them on a 4 mile run and had issues. My legs had gotten used to the lower rise in the other shoes and the ones with more cushion have more rise. It didn't affect things too much but now I only wear them to cross train.

I've read that even a mm difference in rise can affect things if you don't ease into it by breaking them in slowly so your body adjusts to the height difference.

I run 6 days a week and I rotate between 6 different pairs and am about to buy 5 new pairs. I use different cushion levels and mm drops depending on the type of run I'm doing. The shoes last anywhere between 150-500 miles depending on the type of shoe. I track it on paper and then phase them out by feel. Locally I shop at Fleet Feet and online at Amazon or running warehouse.

I rotate 2 pairs at a time and then I have lighter shoe I'll break out for "races" Generally I find I can get more miles out of mine than some of the other posters on the board which supports @ebradley23 comment that everyone is different.

I usually only have 1-2 pair at any given time. I always run in the same shoe style because when I've tried to switch up, it never feels right to me. I've always gone by feel in the past to determine when to change my shoes out, but this year I'm trying to be faithful and track miles. I run in a pretty minimal shoe, so I typically think I only get about 150-200 miles out of them.

The number of pairs of shoes I own is directly proportional to the New Balance/Disney offerings! (My shoe is the NB 860 model) I still have one pair of Sorcerer Mickey and a couple pairs of the Steamboat Mickey.

I run until they start to "feel" like they're not doing their job....usually the shins start hurting, the back is achy, the knees are sore...that's when I rotate in a new pair.

I have 4, but thats extreme.

1 - (3 mm drop) daily trainer for easy, tempo and my long runs
2 - (0 mm drop) flats for speedwork
3 - (2mm drop) sockless race shoe for 5ks, 10ks and sprint triathlons
4 - (2 mm drop) lightweight trainer for races over 10k

Switching shoes only really matters if the shoe is a different model. Switching to another pair of the same shoe doesn't really do anything.

The number of pairs of shoes I own is directly proportional to the New Balance/Disney offerings!

Are you familiar with the formula N+1?

N = the number of shoes you currently have and the formula gives you the number of shoes you should have

I have three pairs I currently rotate through for running, and then one pair of minimalist/CrossFit shoes (Inov-8s) that I use for cross-training and run in occasionally for shorter distances in wet weather/conditions.

I have 2 - one for the treadmill and one for anything outside. I wear.them.out. They have to be basically shredded before I'll switch out. Shoes are so expensive.

Actually, I do have another pair. The treads are almost nonexistent and there's a huge hole at the big toe. Lately I've been saving it for my long runs so it doesn't fall apart before races. I think the shoe is at least 4-5 years old and I've been wearing it for almost a year? I have to have close to 800-1000 miles on it. Yikes! Hmmmm, maybe I should get rid of it.... maybe after I squeeze out a few more long runs. ;)

I have 2 of the same exact shoe type/model I rotate, one with more miles on it. I like having 2 pairs going in case one gets wet in rain. After a long run it's nice to use a different pair the next day as I've read it takes 24 hours for the cushion to come back up, and I need all my cushion I can get. All my workouts are done in the same shoe type. I seem to get around 300 miles a pair, but like others start to pay attention to feel when it gets up to those miles. I shop on amazon or basically whatever site gives me the best deal as I know now the type/size I like.

Do a quick Google search for running specialty stores near your town and make a visit ASAP. They will be able to tell you exactly what you need. Most reputable stores will offer a 30 day guarantee in case the shoes are not working for you. Once you have found the right shoe(s) for you, there is a new website called Shoe Kicker ( www.shoekicker.com ) that will tell you where you can find your shoe for the lowest price.

I personally have never seen a reason to have more than two pairs of shoes in your rotation... unless you just want to. The general rule for when to switch out your shoes is every 300-500 miles but you have to listen to your body. If you find yourself more sore than usual or with stiff knees, it is probably time for new shoes.

I guess I'm a simple gal...just 1 pair that is retired at some point between 350-500 miles.

I think like, 8 or 9 pairs. I usually rotate shoes on a weekly basis. Some last only for a few 100 miles while some I've gotten up to 400-500! I usually run with a pair until they start to feel they are flat (no cushioning).

Do a quick Google search for running specialty stores near your town and make a visit ASAP. They will be able to tell you exactly what you need. Most reputable stores will offer a 30 day guarantee in case the shoes are not working for you. Once you have found the right shoe(s) for you, there is a new website called Shoe Kicker ( www.shoekicker.com ) that will tell you where you can find your shoe for the lowest price.

Please do not do this. If you're going to visit your local running store to take advantage of their expertise in fitting people with running shoes, buy your shoes from them. Or at least buy your first few pairs from them. After that, go ahead and buy them online.

Quick update: Just did a long run in my 800+ mile shoes... I think it's finally time to call it quits. Actually I think the shoes may have contributed to my foot cramp during my Tink marathon. :(

The biggest reason to have more than 1 or 2 pair of running shoes is the constant change. Even if you stick with the same model (example - Nike Pegasus), every year they come out with a new version of the shoe. The new version is often structurally unlike previous versions. Every time a new version comes out, you have to go through the entire shoe choice regimen again. This mans trial and error, with some of the errors possibly producing running injuries.

I buy shoes once/year to avoid this, and I buy them between training seasons in case a new shoe type causes me issues. I buy one pair, try it out for a few weeks, then buy 4 more pair to get me through the entire running year once I know that the shoes will work for me. It minimizes my injury risks throughout the season.

Now, my wife thinks that this is boring because all of my running shoes look exactly the same. I number each pair with permanent markers so I can track their mileage, but she is right - they look the same. Thing is, I don't care. I'd rather have boring shoes than have to deal with injuries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter