Running at WDW

LaughinPlace289

Mouseketeer
I'm sure that there is another thread like this out there so feel free to point me in the right direction if need be.

So Disney World, on the whole, is not a particularly runner friendly place unless you are staying at a resort with a paved trail. My wife and I will be staying one week at the All Star Movies Resort next month and I am trying to plan out where I can run. I am currently building my mileage back up from an injury that kept me sidelined for several months and want to keep the break in my routine as minimal as possible. My question is this: what are some good, low traffic running routes around the Disney property? Anything from 4-8 miles and preferably in the footprint of the Animal Kingdom resort area. Though I am not opposed to jumping on a bus and going elsewhere if need be.

Happy running!

EDIT: I don't have a problem running on the shoulder of the road either in a low traffic area.

Last edited:
My favorites at WDW are the loops around the lakes at Caribbean (CBR) and Pop/AoA, though CBR would get my top vote. The paths are wide, and the loops are over a mile (1.25 miles at Pop, 1.6 miles at CBR). Pop is almost completely flat while CBR has a few small hills. Pop is all concrete while CBR has a few cool wooden bridges to break up the monotony on a longer run.

I also like the path at Port Orleans, but not as much as these two. The loop is smaller, more narrow, it has more hills and it tends to get more crowded as it is the main path for folks walking to/from the food court.

I like the loop around BC/YC/BW then over to Swan/Dolphin, to HS and back. There are a few nice little hills to give you a challenge but not kill you. I start at YC, go to Dolphin, cross over to Swan and to HS, back by Swan and on to BW and around to YC via the IG side. You can skip the part to HS and it's about a little over a mile if you do.

The All Star resorts are all connected and should provide a decent run. Additionally, there is a path to the McDonald's at the entrance of the resorts. If memory serves me correctly, you can follow that path to the Coronado Springs resort to add mileage.

I like the loop around BC/YC/BW then over to Swan/Dolphin, to HS and back. There are a few nice little hills to give you a challenge but not kill you. I start at YC, go to Dolphin, cross over to Swan and to HS, back by Swan and on to BW and around to YC via the IG side. You can skip the part to HS and it's about a little over a mile if you do.
For more mileage, you can zig-zag around the sidewalks of the Dolphin and then go between the Swan and Dolphin onto the sidewalk (like you are walking to Fantasia Gardens mini-golf) around EPCOT Resorts Drive all the way to Beach Club and back. I got in about 5 miles there a few years ago.
The All Star resorts are all connected and should provide a decent run. Additionally, there is a path to the McDonald's at the entrance of the resorts. If memory serves me correctly, you can follow that path to the Coronado Springs resort to add mileage.
This is true. I tried it in April. You have to cross over the street to get to McDonalds, and although the traffic lights crossing over to McDonald's and then across the next road toward Coronado Springs are SLOW, the sidewalk is good all the way to the area across from CS. Within the All Star Resorts, you can run the walking paths AND the parking lots and side roads and get a good 3-4 miles with little repetition. It's best if you get up early before everyone is heading to breakfast!

I have never stayed at any All Star, but based on Google Maps, it does appear that you could get some decent mileage by running on both the resort entrance part of Buena Vista Drive as well as around the parking lots in between the All Star Resorts. Here is an example of a potential 3-mile loop at All Star Resorts: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/12443825

Also, if you want to bus, here are some training routes I ran from the Yacht Club a couple months ago, and they are applicable to anybody at Yacht Club, Beach Club/BCV, Boardwalk Inn/Villas, Swan/Dolphin, or Hollywood Studios. Taking the bus to Hollywood Studios would likely be your best bet to pick-up these routes:

4.9 mile route: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1099252184
6 mile route (same as 4.9 mile route but adds a loop around HS parking lot): https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1090526683
7 mile route (same as 6 mile route but adds out/back on sidewalk along Buena Vista Drive and an additional loop around HS bus station): https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1093614512

Last edited:

The distance from my parents' house to either Saratoga Springs or the far end of Disney Springs (La Nouba theater) is exactly five miles - so I use that as my out-and-back when I'm in Orlando. It's got nice, wide sidewalks and can be very shady and will definitely not be crowded. I like having the turn around in the Disney Springs area because it gives me a couple options for a real bathroom and water fountains if need be before I head back down Hotel Plaza Blvd. and back to my house.

Well since I do most of my long runs AT All Stars.. My vote is All stars.. I can get anywhere up to a 20 miler (10 down- 10 back) in easily with little repetition.. I usually start at Sports- looping the buildings on the walkways- once I finish sports run to music etc. it's rarely crowded and if you run during housekeeping time you often get cheered on..

I have never stayed at any All Star, but based on Google Maps, it does appear that you could get some decent mileage by running on both the resort entrance part of Buena Vista Drive as well as around the parking lots in between the All Star Resorts. Here is an example of a potential 3-mile loop at All Star Resorts: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/12443825

Also, if you want to bus, here are some training routes I ran from the Yacht Club a couple months ago, and they are applicable to anybody at Yacht Club, Beach Club/BCV, Boardwalk Inn/Villas, Swan/Dolphin, or Hollywood Studios. Taking the bus to Hollywood Studios would likely be your best bet to pick-up these routes:

4.9 mile route: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1099252184
6 mile route (same as 4.9 mile route but adds a loop around HS parking lot): https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1090526683
7 mile route (same as 6 mile route but adds out/back on sidewalk along Buena Vista Drive and an additional loop around HS bus station): https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1093614512

I will definitely be trying one of these. They look like fun loops with plenty to see along the way.

Well since I do most of my long runs AT All Stars.. My vote is All stars.. I can get anywhere up to a 20 miler (10 down- 10 back) in easily with little repetition.. I usually start at Sports- looping the buildings on the walkways- once I finish sports run to music etc. it's rarely crowded and if you run during housekeeping time you often get cheered on..

Sounds great, I will give this a try one day as well. Definitely not 20 miles though. Not back to that fitness level yet!

All of this is great info. Thanks to everyone for your input!

I'm sure that there is another thread like this out there so feel free to point me in the right direction if need be.

So Disney World, on the whole, is not a particularly runner friendly place unless you are staying at a resort with a paved trail. My wife and I will be staying one week at the All Star Movies Resort next month and I am trying to plan out where I can run. I am currently building my mileage back up from an injury that kept me sidelined for several months and want to keep the break in my routine as minimal as possible. My question is this: what are some good, low traffic running routes around the Disney property? Anything from 4-8 miles and preferably in the footprint of the Animal Kingdom resort area. Though I am not opposed to jumping on a bus and going elsewhere if need be.

Happy running!

EDIT: I don't have a problem running on the shoulder of the road either in a low traffic area.

The Hourglass Lake loop between AoA and POP is very nice. I have run that a couple of times when staying at POP. I have not tried the All Star area yet. I will tell you that my favorite place to run around Disney is Fort Wilderness. Running the camping loops down to the Trading Post in the morning hours with all of the sounds of the Fort and smells of everyone cooking breakfast outside is great. There is also a trail that will take you over to Wilderness Lodge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter