runDisney's Castaway Cay 5k

I knew about the free 5K because I looked into it for my very first Disney Cruise this spring. :cool1:

But this is the most informative and detailed post I've seen about it, and your tips will be very helpful. Thank you for sharing! :thumbsup2

Technically, no.

It was my first run last year and my time was 50+ minutes, a pace of more than 16 minutes per mile. I was either the last or next to last, but it was a small group of runners that day (maybe 40?).

As I approached the finish line, other guests were cheering me on. A great RunDisney moment!

Now that they offer a "power walk" , I understand that the CMs encourage those participating to run, not walk.

I carried water with me and filled it regularly, which I highly recommend. As slow as I was, it was a great confidence builder, especially for running when it's warm and humid.

Enjoy-- Suzanne

Good writeup. I did the Castaway 5k back in 2009 and it was quite different. Different course, no medal, no bib, just an informal run and they sent me a certificate after the fact.

I like the changes they made.

Great write up
Interesting about signing up ahead of time now. When we cruised in November, you just signed p the morning of...trust me, I asked as soon as we got on the ship.

I enjoyed the run too. Nice change of scenery!

DD and I did this in November. It was crazy hot, but we still finished with a pretty good time of 34:13. Not bad for DD's first 5k and my second.

Thanks for posting this! Going on the Dream this Sunday and was curious on how the whole 5k thing went! There is very little info online about it!

If anyone wants to read about how different it can be depending on what ship you're on and what week it is, there's a pretty long and long-standing thread all about the 5K over on the Disney Cruise board here. Probably will want to google it to get to it, since our search function is so difficult sometimes.

I'm not sure a lot of you know there is a free 5k on their island hosted by runDisney - here's my review if you're interested :)

http://goobermonkey.com/?p=3890

What an awesome review. We all did this run in November and had lots of fun. DD and I are doing the family 5k next Friday at Epcot, so these races are a really good introduction to running races for her. We can't wait; i just hope we don't get stuck in NH due to weather!

Enjoyed your review :thumbsup2

Our family would like to participate this Fall during our cruise. Hubby and I are slowly working in a couch to 5k program. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter