Rumors of Light (ROL discussion thread)

Ok, I'm shaking my head in disbelief over how some people are so blinded by "free dining" that they don't even realize that they are losing money on the deal. I know it can be a good deal for some families depending on several factors (it saved us over $1,000 the year we used it. A room discount for the same trip would have been around $400 so it *was* a good deal for us on that trip.) I was reading some comments on a Disney-related FB page and one woman was talking about how it will just be her and her husband on the trip this fall and she was so happy to get free dining. It sounded like they've been to Disney several times in the past so she's not a newbie. She talked about how she and her husband spent nearly 3 hours each trying to get through to Disney this morning. When she finally got through there was no availability at Pop Century. Their next choice was ASMovies which was also not available. They finally ended up booking a Cars Suite. She said it's not really what they wanted -- that they don't need that big of a room since it's just the 2 of them -- but she was so excited to finally be able to get "FREE" (quotes are mine) Dining. I wanted to post, "You do realize that you just spent an extra $150+ a night to save $88/night, don't you?????" They could have booked a room at Pop without free dining; paid for the regular dining plan; and still spent less than what they're spending for "free dining" in a Cars Suite. Do people not have calculators?????

Last edited:
Ok, I'm shaking my head in disbelief over how some people are so blinded by "free dining" that they don't even realize that they are losing money on the deal. I know it can be a good deal for some families depending on several factors (it saved us over $1,000 the year we used it. A room discount for the same trip would have been around $400 so it *was* a good deal for us on that trip.) I was reading some comments on a Disney-related FB page and one woman was talking about how it will just be her and her husband on the trip this fall and she was so happy to get free dining. It sounded like they've been to Disney several times in the past so she's not a newbie. She talked about how she and her husband spent nearly 3 hours each trying to get through to Disney this morning. When she finally got through there was no availability at Pop Century. Their next choice was ASMovies which was also not available. They finally ended up booking a Cars Suite. She said it's not really what they wanted -- that they don't need that big of a room since it's just the 2 of them -- but she was so excited to finally be able to get "FREE" (quotes are mine) Dining. I wanted to post, "You do realize that you just spent an extra $150+ a night to save $88/night, don't you?????" They could have booked a room at Pop without free dining; paid for the regular dining plan; and still spent less than what they're spending for "free dining" in a Cars Suite. Do people not have calculators?????

I hear you! I dont get it either. Free Dining isn't actually free. You pay rack rate...math must be done. Often a room discount is cheaper

From Rumors Board:

Just returned from WDW. General concensus talking to CMs is ROL has major problems and won't open for months. Not this summer. :-(

We all know that many CMs know nothing but I also know (from experience) that many of them do. SO ..... this is not good.

Anyone here going to be in the World Aug 10-21?? Will it be weird if I wear my Rumors of Light buttons again then?? :)

Based on above post, if true, wear it proud. AND come December we might have to redesign everything with 2017 on it.

I think it's at a point that "something" is an all out failure. Admit it, let it go, find another way and get on it. This is a major blow to this park.

I hear you! I dont get it either. Free Dining isn't actually free. You pay rack rate...math must be done. Often a room discount is cheaper

Yes! And I realize that for some families it's not an obvious answer -- that math must literally be done. Our situation with 5 Disney adults staying at AoA...knowing the price of the QSDP ahead of time and knowing how much we would save compared to historical discounts for our travel time made it a very clear answer. All this woman needed to think about was "If the room is costing me more than an extra $75/night, this isn't a good deal." It just boggles my mind. I wonder if she'll sit and think about the figures and do the math and have the light bulb moment.

You have me laughing out loud! Too funny! :laughing:
I'm still catching up on laundry, bills and all the other mundane things that have to be done after vacation. I am now continuing down the list with a smile. :goodvibes

I'm still trying to catch up too! Need to get a handle on the calendar - spring sports went into full swing while we were gone - need to figure out where we're supposed to be!

DD had a lacrosse game the day after our return - she put a tiara on with her uniform! princess:

OK random question - is this on the computer or the app? I've been messing with my app, trying to estimate if we're going to be able to have as much success with additional FPs now that everyone can make them from their phones, and there doesn't seem to be an easy "refresh" option on the phone. I figured this probably was on the computer, but I figured I'd ask in case I was missing something obvious :)

This was on the app.

So first I click on the FP+ link in the app. It then takes me to my list of FP's that I have made for a particular day.

I clicked on "beauty and the beast - 5 guests"
The next page has three options - "cancel", "find on map" and "modify"
Click "modify"

Then it says "First, tell us whose FastPass+ plans you'd like to modify." You can select all, or select the people individually. I just selected 1 person at a time (best chance of finding a fp), and hit continue...

When the next page comes up, it gives me options for changing the time of the current attraction choice (Beauty and the Beast) or tells me there is no availability. But it also gives you choices of times for other attractions as well. So I scroll down to see if there are any Toy Story times available. If there is nothing, I hit "back" and it takes me to the guest selector again, and I just hit continue again and it searches again. I keep doing this until a time pops up for the attraction I am looking for. If you see a time for the attraction you want, grab it, and then follow the same process to modify the time. I then go back and do this for all of the people (one at a time) that I am trying to make fastpasses for.

**Edit** Also, I should add that when I was doing the 4th FP, since I was looking for ToT, I started by taking any tier 2 that was available (I think it was the ariel show), and then modifying that. It is easier to do the "modify," "continue" if you are trying to "modify" than if you are picking an attraction for the first time.

It's not a particularly elegant solution, and you have to be patient, but I was surprised that it worked at all for the tier 1 rides.

I also think this works best the night before or morning of your target day because that is when the most people will be making changes to their plans as they decide what they are doing. I haven't tried, but I would guess that further out, it would take longer to find ideal times.

Good luck!

But... but... it's FREE!!!!

I honestly think that some people are caught up in the word FREE, and in the excitement of trying to book something that is LIMITED. I know some people who won't sit down and make two columns (with free dining, without free dining) and just compare. They'd assume that the offer that includes something free will save them money.

I've created spreadsheets for everything since I knew spreadsheet programs existed, so that's not my particular problem... :rolleyes1

But... but... it's FREE!!!!

I honestly think that some people are caught up in the word FREE, and in the excitement of trying to book something that is LIMITED. I know some people who won't sit down and make two columns (with free dining, without free dining) and just compare. They'd assume that the offer that includes something free will save them money.

I've created spreadsheets for everything since I knew spreadsheet programs existed, so that's not my particular problem... :rolleyes1
I'm old fashioned, paper and pencil. :tongue:

Thank you so much everyone! I love popping into to share my happy news with friends. :D I appreciate you all so much. *happy tears*

Such as, I just got called to schedule an interview--and it's AFTER the vacation! I was afraid they'd want me to come in during, and I'd have to ask for a later time, and it wouldn't make the best impression or would make me miss the opportunity!

So much good news!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter