Rumors & News Forum Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came here to find out why a redundant thread for the DLR subforum suddenly showed up that belonged originally here in Rumors and News.

Might as well have just locked it instead of throwing it where there are already several threads covering the various talking points that already exist. That thread had majority users who hang out here posting in it. Not everyone goes to the other subforums. Many come here to get their news.

Moving threads without regard for where they're moving into and what threads already exist was very short-sighted. Especially without any warning.

No sir, I don't like it.

I'm surprised that with all the new invasive ads the money isn't pouring in to have moderators on standby...

maybe a good time to point out that ads are dismal earners that hopefully cover the cost of hosting/servers/technical upkeep and taxes with some left over.
Someone can typically expect 10 dollars per 1000 viewers, though with theme park ads, they likely get 20-30 dollars per 1000 viewers (In a simplified nut shell) depending on the quarter and their ad server. Oh! And ad incomes are changing based on cookie laws, cookie storage and ad blockers. So there’s that too.
Current industry standards are 35% ads per page, which disboards absolutely does not have. (Pinterest on a weekend is an incredibly visible example of what 35% looks like)

We also have no idea what expenses go on to support the travel agency, blog posts, reviews and we can only speculate income there- this forum could be a loss leader for all we know.

I don’t like this situation more than the next, but let’s not make assumptions based on arbitrary numbers.

Corey,

Thank you for taking the time to listen to and address our concerns. I have tremendous respect for you and the work you do -- I'm sure it's no easy task managing a forum this large (among your other responsibilities with The DIS). I've always appreciated your friendliness and humor, and I respect you mightily for listening to what everyone has to say. I sincerely hope you understand that the following is said with the best of intentions from a longtime DISer (though not as long as some around here).

As a Dreams client, longtime DIS Unplugged listener, Magic Candle Co. purchaser (with code DisneyInfo), and DVCRM buyer, I'm still deeply disappointed in what transpired today. In my time on here, I've never seen something like that happen. While there are certainly many sources for Disney-related info and content, what has consistently brought me to The DIS for the last ten years is the incredible community it cultivates. Whether it be through the DIS Unplugged podcast, the Dreams shows, the News & Rumors board, or any DIS-exclusive trips, the people (the "on-air" personalities, the moderators on the board, and of course, the posters) are what make this place so enjoyable and special.

I know you know how dedicated we all are to helping build the FAQs, info threads, rumor tracking threads, etc... on here. So to log on this afternoon and see all the work this community had built in this one place either closed or scattered all about was disconcerting and really disappointing. For it to be done with little to no acknowledgment by some semi-anonymous user was also upsetting. I can only speak for myself, but I personally felt that this particular community and every contribution I made to it wasn't fully considered in whatever decision-making took place about interim plans for this particular forum. I understand The DIS is a business and that can mean change and certain business needs, but as I'm sure you know, it's a business based on community and, as a member of that community, today's actions didn't make me feel particularly valued or considered.

I absolutely understand the need for a moderator, especially on topics as salient as Coronavirus. The DIS has amongst the best moderator teams out there, and it's definitely a difficult task. While the future of this particular forum may be a work in progress, I'd imagine many would've appreciated if that had been transparently communicated in advance. Given what everyone has gone through over the last eleven months, I hope you can understand why it would upset some so much, without any notice provided. It felt like some unknown individual came through with a blowtorch to all of our work as well as our friends.

I sincerely hope whoever is responsible for that apologizes and the end result is building a happier community for everyone. In the meantime again, thank you for taking the time to read this post and I wish you and your family good health during these turbulent times.

Andy

I completely understand where you are coming from and I'm working to fix what happened.

maybe a good time to point out that ads are dismal earners that hopefully cover the cost of hosting/servers/technical upkeep and taxes with some left over.
Someone can typically expect 10 dollars per 1000 viewers, though with theme park ads, they likely get 20-30 dollars per 1000 viewers (In a simplified nut shell) depending on the quarter and their ad server. Oh! And ad incomes are changing based on cookie laws, cookie storage and ad blockers. So there’s that too.
Current industry standards are 35% ads per page, which disboards absolutely does not have. (Pinterest on a weekend is an incredibly visible example of what 35% looks like)

We also have no idea what expenses go on to support the travel agency, blog posts, reviews and we can only speculate income there- this forum could be a loss leader for all we know.

I don’t like this situation more than the next, but let’s not make assumptions based on arbitrary numbers.

I was taking what I thought was an an obvious swipe at the Dis for their recent adoption of ads that are more invasive in nature.

Because I’ve yet to “win” that iPhone prize that keeps popping up....

The thread that most people are upset about has over 6 million views in less in less than eleven months. It generated a good chunk of revenue through ads for the site without having to pay anyone for it's content nor it's moderation, while at the same time serving as an unpaid advertisement for the site's owner travel agency. Let's not act like profits weren't generated from it.

I'm curious how the D+ one isn't also news. I always found what was coming on, what's being made, what might be being made all there. Those are all pieces of Disney news.

Like most other people on this board, I rarely venture off of this sub-forum, unless its for DVC news or when my wife and I headed to DL and I spent a month over there lurking, which is what I do here. If this forum is to be just "WDW news/rumors" I think it needs to say so. Just my 2 cents.

The Disney+ thread has been moved back. Although we have a Disney+ forum, this thread was created and grew here, so here it will stay.

Came here to find out why a redundant thread for the DLR subforum suddenly showed up that belonged originally here in Rumors and News.

Might as well have just locked it instead of throwing it where there are already several threads covering the various talking points that already exist. That thread had majority users who hang out here posting in it. Not everyone goes to the other subforums. Many come here to get their news.

Moving threads without regard for where they're moving into and what threads already exist was very short-sighted. Especially without any warning.

No sir, I don't like it.

Thank you for letting us know. Actively looking.

The thread that most people are upset about has over 6 million views in less in less than eleven months. It generated a good chunk of revenue through ads for the site without having to pay anyone for it's content nor it's moderation, while at the same time serving as an unpaid advertisement for the site's owner travel agency. Let's not act like profits weren't generated from it.

Doing quick napkin math based on missingmypooh's parameters, then that thread generated about $150,000 in revenue.

6,000,000/1,000 * $25 = $150,000.

Yeah, better close that one.............. might have to pay taxes this year....

Doing quick napkin math based on missingmypooh's parameters, then that thread generated about $150,000 in revenue.

I think those are per add fees. I know placement impacts cost and ad blockers decrease revenue, but I am counting at least ten ads on this page right now. They did pretty well with this thread.

To be fair, that number depends how many people run ad-blockers, and while I have some numbers, blocker use varies massively amongst differing demographics, so only the DIS folks know how much actual ad-revenue they're generating vs server load hosting serving the pages. Either way, I suspect that $150,000 is on the high side before costs.

To be fair, that number depends how many people run ad-blockers, and while I have some numbers, blocker use varies massively amongst differing demographics, so only the DIS folks know how much actual ad-revenue they're generating vs server load hosting serving the pages. Either way, I suspect that $150,000 is on the high side before costs.

Probably is, I was just doin the math that I was presented.

Either way, its a dumb move to close a thread that got 6 million views and counting.

I'm no Steve Jobs, but from what I have learned about ad revenue....

Good grief, you really are intent on maximizing your podcast and your site in your mass recruitment and mass exodus from the Dis during this crisis aren't you?

I am disgusted with Pete and I don't think any short of an apology from Pete will stop it, but this sure is bringing out the worse in everyone.

Hardly. the News and Rumor threads is my morning coffee stop most days and after seeing people like The Max Rebo and Rteetz not posting any more, the thread was going to die. Especially after seeing people start saying they were going to leave or not come back, I am/was/going to try to at least keep people together. I'd be more than happy if they chose to migrate back to the Disboards.

As for my podcast, it's a hobby. I don't have sponsors nor do we plan to have them. So it's not a money maker in the slightest. We actually pay money to host it and we're not asking for donations. ******* is a free to use platform that is not ad supported so I get nothing out of it financially.

Oh, man. Not even close, but from your mouth to the man above.

So about the ads, most of what you see is generated by Google Auto Ads. This is where Google scans the page and adds ads where they think one will fit. Yes, they are annoying at times and can be intrusive, so it's a constant dance to balance revenue loss without making the site look like ad vomit, which it does at times.

During this pandemic, we've taken a massive hit from every side of the company, including ads. Disney and a lot of the big companies are holding onto their ad budget, so we end up seeing more low paying ads, unfortunately.

I haven't received my free iPhone either.

Okay, everyone, I know yesterday was disappointing but they are taking the steps to correct it. I for one do appreciate that. I think they just didn't realize what a close-knit gorup they had here. It's okay and I believe they are working in good faith. Let's not make it hard for them. I hope everyone will continue to hang out with the threads being reopened. 🙂

Oh, man. Not even close, but from your mouth to the man above.

So about the ads, most of what you see is generated by Google Auto Ads. This is where Google scans the page and adds ads where they think one will fit. Yes, they are annoying at times and can be intrusive, so it's a constant dance to balance revenue loss without making the site look like ad vomit, which it does at times.

During this pandemic, we've taken a massive hit from every side of the company, including ads. Disney and a lot of the big companies are holding onto their ad budget, so we end up seeing more low paying ads, unfortunately.

I haven't received my free iPhone either.

Thanks for trotting out here. I know the others would rather this place not really exist.

I understand that internet traffic ad revenue is not really the money maker that it once was.

It's a lot like Disney, you take away stuff or disrupt your loyal base, you should expect the blowback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter