Rumors about Fantasy

Is it me, or is there a souring on Castaway? Reading this thread, people here seem so negative about it. I find it a beautiful, relaxing island and have zero issues going there. I'm just not a fan of the Triton class ships.

Honestly I'm *not* that excited about LP - it seems so much changed from the initial artistic renderings Joe Rohde had done prior to his retirement. THAT design I was excited about. The renderings since, not so much.

Currently, she's heading back to Port Canaveral with Engine problems.
That is a huge concern. We are scheduled to board the Fantasy on Saturday. Our itinerary has already changed from Bermuda to avoid Hurricane Lee. We certainly don’t want to be limping from Port Canaveral with a bad engine while trying to avoid the rough waters from Lee

🤣 Wait until they meet the Aussies in Sydney. They will be lucky to get any tips!
That's the biggest Brit issue too! We really don't get it that cruise ships aren't British! Lots of the UK cruiselines automatically include tips for that reason and I've always said DCL should for the ones leaving the UK as its so unfair on the crew. The amount of people you see at GS removing tips is madness!

Is it me, or is there a souring on Castaway? Reading this thread, people here seem so negative about it. I find it a beautiful, relaxing island and have zero issues going there. I'm just not a fan of the Triton class ships.

Honestly I'm *not* that excited about LP - it seems so much changed from the initial artistic renderings Joe Rohde had done prior to his retirement. THAT design I was excited about. The renderings since, not so much.

I feel the same! I love Castaway and don't like the sound of LP (the fact its not a fully private island really narks me).

Completely true yes! I would also say the Southampton cruises this year have been very hard on all the CMs I feel as unfortunately the difference in culture between American's and Brits is a lot more apparent on a 4 night cruise from Southampton than it is on other cruises. I'm not sure how happy they would be to have two ships going through that.
Can you elaborate on culture differences in terms of cruising? I am not very familiar with British culture

Can you elaborate on culture differences in terms of cruising? I am not very familiar with British culture
So tipping in the UK is kind of a weird one. Its becoming more common but most of the country still doesn't tip regularly and even just from forums you see so many people moaning about having to tip in the US or saying they don't tip. On the UK cruises there is such a high proportion of people that will remove the auto-gratuity not because they have rubbish service but because they don't agree with the practise. I have a few friends who never tip and trying to explain to them this is a common process on cruises and is factored into the wage they are paying their staff really doesn't seem to resonate at all. This is why most UK based cruise lines include gratuities to stop this being an issue.

We also appear to be insane shoppers although I have never noticed this apart from when the sales are on in the UK. On the ship we seem to be obsessed by shopping and the queues for the shops seem insane to me. Its not something I've ever noticed on a non-UK based cruise.

And just to clarify I am British and do tip I just know a lot of us don't. With such a high proportion of 1. first timers and 2. Brits the atmosphere ends up a lot more negative than I think it should be with lots of moans on extra costs and tips being added to drinks etc or at least that has been my experience. It doesn't help the confusion over VAT and which cruises have this added either.

So tipping in the UK is kind of a weird one. Its becoming more common but most of the country still doesn't tip regularly and even just from forums you see so many people moaning about having to tip in the US or saying they don't tip. On the UK cruises there is such a high proportion of people that will remove the auto-gratuity not because they have rubbish service but because they don't agree with the practise. I have a few friends who never tip and trying to explain to them this is a common process on cruises and is factored into the wage they are paying their staff really doesn't seem to resonate at all. This is why most UK based cruise lines include gratuities to stop this being an issue.

We also appear to be insane shoppers although I have never noticed this apart from when the sales are on in the UK. On the ship we seem to be obsessed by shopping and the queues for the shops seem insane to me. Its not something I've ever noticed on a non-UK based cruise.

And just to clarify I am British and do tip I just know a lot of us don't. With such a high proportion of 1. first timers and 2. Brits the atmosphere ends up a lot more negative than I think it should be with lots of moans on extra costs and tips being added to drinks etc or at least that has been my experience. It doesn't help the confusion over VAT and which cruises have this added either.
This is basically what I was going to say too. And also people were used to the crowds on the staycations which were capped around 60% by the end, these were all really full cruises and I’ve seen a lot of complaints about having to wait for stuff and crowds.

Completely true yes! I would also say the Southampton cruises this year have been very hard on all the CMs I feel as unfortunately the difference in culture between American's and Brits is a lot more apparent on a 4 night cruise from Southampton than it is on other cruises. I'm not sure how happy they would be to have two ships going through that.
What are the differences? Are you referring to tipping? Nevermind I see you answered that

Last edited:

Good to know. The next time I pass through London I'll save some money and not tip.

In London you’ll likely have a service charge added to your bill as standard
Bermuda too.

I'd been, well, tipped off that most of the restaurants include a service charge as part of the bill. You can of course leave more if you want, but it's added in. Over on Cruise Critic someone said they had been near a couple at the Frog and Onion who were saying "Wow! We must have had more drinks than we thought!" when they got the bill, that couple not realizing that a service fee was included.

We have a trip scheduled next summer on the Magic to see the new island, and I love Eleuthera. But, I love CC so much, that it will be hard for LP to surpass it.

That is a huge concern. We are scheduled to board the Fantasy on Saturday. Our itinerary has already changed from Bermuda to avoid Hurricane Lee. We certainly don’t want to be limping from Port Canaveral with a bad engine while trying to avoid the rough waters from Lee
how did they change it?

Anybody hear anything about these "technical" issues the Fantasy is having causing it to move slow?

Anybody hear anything about these "technical" issues the Fantasy is having causing it to move slow?
There is a problem with the propulsion system. They skipped CC yesterday to make sure they made it to port on time today for the next 8-night cruise which has been changed from Bermuda to a Western Caribbean w/ 2 stops at CC. The cruise that was cut short is getting 25% off a future cruise and up to $200 stateroom credit, the Bermuda now Western has 20% off a future cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter