• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumored Changes to G+

Remember when Fastpass + was created and they didn't have enough attractions on traditional fastpass so they had to literally force it onto some rides/experiences just to even attempt to make the capacity work? And it still didn't work....and now they are charging people twice for that experience that didn't work to begin with?

Remember when Fastpass + was created and they didn't have enough attractions on traditional fastpass so they had to literally force it onto some rides/experiences just to even attempt to make the capacity work? And it still didn't work....and now they are charging people twice for that experience that didn't work to begin with?
The new system works better for us and I don't mind paying for the efficiency. Just because it doesn't work for some people doesn't mean it should go away.

G+ still exists for the "older" attractions that are the classic attractions people will always want to ride (e.g. PoTC, HM, SM, etc.) but now the new and rethemed things will cost more for the guest. Guests will still feel compelled to by G+ because they want to ride classic attractions with little to no wait and they will feel compelled to buy the ILL so their family doesn't miss out on the brand new shiny object.
Ticket Book.jpg

The new system works better for us and I don't mind paying for the efficiency. Just because it doesn't work for some people doesn't mean it should go away.
I don't mind it, I just want the 7am thing to go away. That's my only complaint. I am a morning person but being relegated to set an alarm every day of my vacation sucks. That's why I'm on vacation, to escape my alarm! After reading through the last few pages of this thread, it doesn't seem like anything is changing any time soon :(

It didn't work because they promised that everyone would have the ability to book 3 fastpass+ selections per day in advance. That was the part that broke it. There was not enough capacity for that to be realistic.

Genie+ is different in that you (currently) purchase day-of and make day-of Lightning Lane selections only. That is no small difference. Also, a lot of people buy Genie+, but I'm going to guess its utilization rate is lower than Fastpass+ simply because it is not free.

So I would argue Disney is not (currently) charging people twice for the broken FP+ system. Now, if they make changes and allow advance purchase of G+ with pre-selection of a # of LL for each day of your trip, THEN I would agree with you about "charging people twice for that experience that didn't work to begin with".

I don't mind it, I just want the 7am thing to go away. That's my only complaint. I am a morning person but being relegated to set an alarm every day of my vacation sucks. That's why I'm on vacation, to escape my alarm! After reading through the last few pages of this thread, it doesn't seem like anything is changing any time soon :(
Thi is my only real complaint now.......I would also like to choose my return times as opposed to next available

I would also like to choose my return times as opposed to next available
Other than the fee for it, this would be my number one change to improve it for how we use it. Just let me plan out my day better, using G+, by selecting a time window I want to ride that attraction.

If the rumors are true and they do move to some sort of advanced purchase and booking, selecting a time window seems like the only way that would work.... But again, only speculation at this point!!

I remember a few pages ago, people were discussing how Genie+ works way better in Disneyland compared to WDW. Well, Mammoth Club put out a video this morning that pretty much confirms that Disneyland lends itself to working with Genie+ way better than the world.
Went to see the video to compare it to our experiences with it and yep. We've managed to ride basically all rides on a park per day (with repeats) with it including stand-by only rides with zero rush and pressure.

I think Genie+ works better too.

I remember a few pages ago, people were discussing how Genie+ works way better in Disneyland compared to WDW. Well, Mammoth Club put out a video this morning that pretty much confirms that Disneyland lends itself to working with Genie+ way better than the world.

Agreed. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but at DL I believe you can't set up LL until you check into the park and the 7am wakeup is WDW specific.

True story, we'll be in Florida at some point this year and I'm totally uninterested in visiting WDW. It's nice there's a train now because that flight from MIA-MCO was painful. But everything in MK looks wrong after spending so much time at DL and we didn't like HS.

While we enjoy AK the food is so bad it's not a priority to visit again and going to Epcot outside of the food festival sounds like a wasted trip.

DL is just a better experience than WDW, Genie+, rides, food, etc. I really do think it colors your opinion based on the park you go to the most.

It didn't work because they promised that everyone would have the ability to book 3 fastpass+ selections per day in advance. That was the part that broke it. There was not enough capacity for that to be realistic.

Genie+ is different in that you (currently) purchase day-of and make day-of Lightning Lane selections only. That is no small difference. Also, a lot of people buy Genie+, but I'm going to guess its utilization rate is lower than Fastpass+ simply because it is not free.

So I would argue Disney is not (currently) charging people twice for the broken FP+ system. Now, if they make changes and allow advance purchase of G+ with pre-selection of a # of LL for each day of your trip, THEN I would agree with you about "charging people twice for that experience that didn't work to begin with".
They are charging you once to gain access to the old tier 2 fastpasses, limiting you on how many you can get and then charging you again if you want a tier 1.

Thi is my only real complaint now.......I would also like to choose my return times as opposed to next available
This is the remaning issue for me: 7 am alarms on vacation and next available return times. I would happily pay G+ style for what we used to get with FP+. Of course, the free old system was awesome, but that's never coming back. If I'm going to pay extra, I at least want it to be more convenient.

I think "what is there to learn?" was answered by the number of paragraphs it took to explain your process. Some might find it easy to navigate, while others find it really frustrating / complicated. Paying to get up early every day while on vacation isn't that fun for some. Others might really like it.

Everyone is different in their preferences. I guess it just depends on which type of system gets the most complaints from guests. More complaints leads to Disney change things. If no one was complaining, they wouldn't have a need to change it.
Perhaps, sort of, but I also think change is where they can get more $/profit, even if no one complained…

Disney has been sending more surveys than usual. I get at least 1 a month. They are about G+, why I do not visit Disney as often or why I did not book a hotel stay I was looking at. There are questions about why I do not spend money on ShopDisney anymore (they note when my last order was)...the questions ask things about their pricing, the merchandise quality, not agreeing with their politics and if I feel they are pushing some topics/agendas too hard. I get surveys asking questions about Magical Express and resort package delivery and more. The majority of the surveys I have received are focused on G+, the old FP system and the cost of all things Disney. I also get several questions about food quality. How much they are listening I do not know, only time will tell, but they are asking more questions and doing more surveys than I have seen in 20+ years of visits.

I have a friend who is a CM. She said they get more surveys than they ever have as CMs...they are focused on "what are the guests saying" and what services do guest want to see returned. She mentioned G+ and ME are the hottest topics.

Will anything come of it that will satisfy the masses? I have no idea. But it does sound like they are listening about G+.

Same - I don’t mind the 7am and I’ll pay the cost - I just find the whole next available time feature really frustrating…I like to leave the park for a mid-day rest and would like to schedule my next attraction before I leave - next available time does not work well with the way I Disney…

It would be great to choose a return time just like ILL. Whatever they do, I hope they don't let G+ become free. The lightning lanes are so nice and short right now.

My wishlist would be as follows....
1. Prebook at least 3 attractions 10 days prior if staying at a Disney OWNED hotel. Good neighbor hotels prebook 48 hours in advance. Everyone else would be day of. If Disney hotel ressie is cancelled, prebooked selections are removed at midnight if new room isn't booked. (to stop throw away rooms outside cancellation refund window)
2. Choose time window for prebooking as well as same day.
3. Ability to re-book attractions after using the original Genie+(or after it expired) for that attraction.

I did not include any wishes regarding price because that ship has sailed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter