Rumored Changes to G+

if you make those 2 changes, isnt it just fast pass plus but with a charge and without the prescheduling?

to me those 2 things are the most restrictive things (minus the price) of genie +
Nope, not at all......And here are the reasons why

What I mean by eliminating the 7am wake up is you get to do that at some interval in advance (prob 1 week in advance for hotel guests and 1 day in advance for day guests)

1) you do get to pre book up to the same 3 selections, same as FP+ was (your first Genie+ and 2 ILL's), same as you can do now at 7am ahead of day guests but just wake up once a week in advance and not EVERY day of your vacation

2) FP+ took up 3 passes for EVERY hotel guest 60 days in advance......Genie+ would only take up 1-2 (same as it does now fyi) but it wont be for EVERY hotel guest because less than half would actually pay for Genie+, leaving plenty of inventory (2 vs 3 selections and less than half guests pre booking) and even less will be buying ILL's (but still available to those who find it important)

3) with FP+, you had to use all 3 selections prior to booking another.....This way, you can still book on the 120 min rule so it preserves non rope dropper touring plans

Last edited:
Nope, not at all......And here are the reasons why

What I mean by eliminating the 7am wake up is you get to do that at some interval in advance (prob 1 week in advance for hotel guests and 1 day in advance for day guests)

1) you do get to pre book up to the same 3 selections, same as FP+ was (your first Genie+ and 2 ILL's), same as you can do now at 7am ahead of day guests but just wake up once a week in advance and not EVERY day of your vacation

2) FP+ took up 3 passes for EVERY hotel guest 60 days in advance......Genie+ would only take up 1-2 (same as it does now fyi) but it wont be for EVERY hotel guest because less than half would actually pay for Genie+, leaving plenty of inventory (2 vs 3 selections and less than half guests pre booking) and even less will be buying ILL's (but still available to those who find it important)

3) with FP+, you had to use all 3 selections prior to booking another.....This way, you can still book on the 120 min rule so it preserves non rope dropper touring plans
I like this idea, I would want data on the % of guests that buy Genie plus, and the pre-book may also increase sales too compared to those that didn't want to do the 7am during their trip.

I swear one of the pushes for Genie + was that if guests didn't know about FP+ before their arrival they had poor results with it... Wouldn't this be the same thing? Except now it is a week out for resort guest vs 60 days, the best rides are not included, and you have to pay for it?

Im also not going to assume only half of the onsite guest would purchase Genie+ (because staying onsite is already not the most cost effective way to go to WDW...). In fact I bet a prebook option would increase numbers at the resorts so even more ppl would be using genie +... And they took out a lot of previous FP+ attractions, not only the best rides but by the end they had FP+ for everything- fireworks, parades, etc...

I don't agree with the idea selection will be wonderful

Last edited:
I swear one of the pushes for Genie + was that if guests didn't know about FP+ before their arrival they had poor results with it... Wouldn't this be the same thing? Except now it is a week out for resort guest vs 60 days, the best rides are not included, and you have to pay for it?

Im also not going to assume only half of the onsite guest would purchase Genie+ (because staying onsite is already not the most cost effective way to go to WDW...). In fact I bet a prebook option would increase numbers at the resorts so even more ppl would be using genie +... And they took out a lot of previous FP+ attractions, not only the best rides but by the end they had FP+ for everything- fireworks, parades, etc...

I actually think that resort guests that buy Genie+ is less than 25%, not even close to 50%, but i was just trying to use that to make a point vs. what was being booked by FP+

So you think Genie+ sales are more than 25% of the people that go to WDW? If so, I got a bridge for sale you can buy

While most WDW guests do not stay onsite, I bet a substantial portion of those who do stay onsite buy G+ and LL+. They are already plunking quite a bit to be in the Disney bubble, why not just add G+ too? This means that opening it to onsite guests early will likely have similar impact on availability as opening to all at the same time.

Which brings up one of my issues with FP+. As someone who rarely stays more than 2-4 nights at WDW per trip, getting the Tier 1 for short trips was basically impossible. If they bring back the booking for length of stay, not only are they once again making the experience less favorable for those that did not understand the system until arrival (and one of the reasons for G+ to be purchased daily), but once again, those with shorter stays, even onsite guests staying deluxe, will be complaining about availability.

They can allow onsite to book the evening prior and keep offsite to booking the morning-of. This ensures that even guests who don’t pre-plan can make some plans after arrival, while still giving an advantage to onsite, without pissing off onsite guests with shorter stays. But I doubt they are putting as much thought into it as we are! 🤣

While most WDW guests do not stay onsite, I bet a substantial portion of those who do stay onsite buy G+ and LL+. They are already plunking quite a bit to be in the Disney bubble, why not just add G+ too? This means that opening it to onsite guests early will likely have similar impact on availability as opening to all at the same time.

Which brings up one of my issues with FP+. As someone who rarely stays more than 2-4 nights at WDW per trip, getting the Tier 1 for short trips was basically impossible. If they bring back the booking for length of stay, not only are they once again making the experience less favorable for those that did not understand the system until arrival (and one of the reasons for G+ to be purchased daily), but once again, those with shorter stays, even onsite guests staying deluxe, will be complaining about availability.

They can allow onsite to book the evening prior and keep offsite to booking the morning-of. This ensures that even guests who don’t pre-plan can make some plans after arrival, while still giving an advantage to onsite, without pissing off onsite guests with shorter stays. But I doubt they are putting as much thought into it as we are! 🤣

If the book ahead was just 5pm the day before that's not helpful. So instead of doing it at 7am, when a lot are up for rope drop anyway, we'd have to stop our park fay, make sure you aren't on a ride etc, to book the next day.

It either needs to be far enough out you aren't on vacation or stay day of. You'll never make everyone happy but I think way more people would complain about 5pm than 7am.

I feel like all the suggestions people are giving here are soooooo much more complicated than the current system. For all that people complain about Genie+ being confusing, once you learn the rules it’s fairly simple. I don’t see them adding all these different clauses and conditions to when different subsets of guests can book different things (or at least I certainly hope they wouldn’t do that!).

I feel like all the suggestions people are giving here are soooooo much more complicated than the current system. For all that people complain about Genie+ being confusing, once you learn the rules it’s fairly simple. I don’t see them adding all these different clauses and conditions to when different subsets of guests can book different things (or at least I certainly hope they wouldn’t do that!).
I’m a wdw pro and have been more times then I can count and have used genie+ a ton and I still have a hard time learning it.

If the book ahead was just 5pm the day before that's not helpful. So instead of doing it at 7am, when a lot are up for rope drop anyway, we'd have to stop our park fay, make sure you aren't on a ride etc, to book the next day.

It either needs to be far enough out you aren't on vacation or stay day of. You'll never make everyone happy but I think way more people would complain about 5pm than 7am.
I dont want to wake up at 6:55 EVERY day of my Vacation. Just give me one day a week before for the length of my trip and I’ll be very very happy.

I’m a wdw pro and have been more times then I can count and have used genie+ a ton and I still have a hard time learning it.
Excuse me while I go throw up. I believe this trip will be the one that my Disney nightmares actually come true. 😭

https://allears.net/2022/08/10/news-disney-reveals-number-of-guests-using-genie/

"Close to 50%." That was on an investor call, where lying is generally illegal. Now, that could be 50% of *people*--so e.g. any Passholder who buys it even once counts as "one". But still.
I would have been shocked if it was less than 50%. All I know is that it was much easier to get fast passes during the FP+ era (and that was with rerides and no access to park hop til after 2(although that’s Now changed) And there was more people in the parks!) and the “fastpass line” was about the same wait as it is now. And that was when 100% of people had access to it. So there would just be no way that only 25% of people are buying it now.

What is there to learn? I am not trying to be snarky, but Genie+ is really not that complicated in my experience. What is it you are having issues with?

My order of operations....

ILL and then Genie+. If you are rope dropping then I would VQ...ILL... Genie+

Genie+: Wake up.... open the app.... book a Genie+ ride for your family and friends from the list... repeat every two hours to book another ride or immediately again after you ride/scan in. You can modify times as you go, so select whatever time is available and then if you need to modify to a later time you can. You can stack the rides, so if you start at 7.... you can book again at 9... and at 11. I am not a rope dropper so I like to roll into a park around noon with rides stacked.

VQ: I usually do not do the first VQ as I wont be there that early and i like going for the afternoon VQ. This way I can usually get two headliners in (VQ/ILL)... three if it is an EE day/park and there is the third VQ at 6pm.

Everyone has their favorites, so book whatever you want to ride first. which for us are usually the bigger thrilly rides that tend to be harder to get later.

I book the ILL first to get that done and settled. I understand that often the times I book for Genie are merely placeholders so I dont stress that I know I wont be in the park at 10:05... I just modify at 10am to later on.

If you have issues getting your friends and family in your list, see guest services in the park. Those little blue tents are very helpful. I suggest visiting one of those for a quick crash course if you are having issues or something is not working, they gave me tips the first time I tried this system that were so helpful and they are usually not busy so just walk up and ask.

I get the feeling people won’t want to miss the new Tiana ride on a trip or rare park visit, where 7DMT seems more acceptable.
Alas- weather. 7DMT is ridable 12 months a year, Tiana is a water ride. During winter a decent chunk of people will pass because water rides do not appeal when you’re cold. I think it goes G+ for that reason.

Been reading through the suggestions.
My thought has always been allow a percent of genie+ reservations available to resort guests at the 30 day mark. So release like 60% of available times at the 30day mark. Leave the rest 40% for day of at 7am. Then if you planned a last minute trip, didn’t get what you wanted, are staying of site, don’t like paining ahead, etc, you still have a chance day of.

What is there to learn? I am not trying to be snarky, but Genie+ is really not that complicated in my experience. What is it you are having issues with?

My order of operations....

ILL and then Genie+. If you are rope dropping then I would VQ...ILL... Genie+

Genie+: Wake up.... open the app.... book a Genie+ ride for your family and friends from the list... repeat every two hours to book another ride or immediately again after you ride/scan in. You can modify times as you go, so select whatever time is available and then if you need to modify to a later time you can. You can stack the rides, so if you start at 7.... you can book again at 9... and at 11. I am not a rope dropper so I like to roll into a park around noon with rides stacked.

VQ: I usually do not do the first VQ as I wont be there that early and i like going for the afternoon VQ. This way I can usually get two headliners in (VQ/ILL)... three if it is an EE day/park and there is the third VQ at 6pm.

Everyone has their favorites, so book whatever you want to ride first. which for us are usually the bigger thrilly rides that tend to be harder to get later.

I book the ILL first to get that done and settled. I understand that often the times I book for Genie are merely placeholders so I dont stress that I know I wont be in the park at 10:05... I just modify at 10am to later on.

If you have issues getting your friends and family in your list, see guest services in the park. Those little blue tents are very helpful. I suggest visiting one of those for a quick crash course if you are having issues or something is not working, they gave me tips the first time I tried this system that were so helpful and they are usually not busy so just walk up and ask.
I think "what is there to learn?" was answered by the number of paragraphs it took to explain your process. Some might find it easy to navigate, while others find it really frustrating / complicated. Paying to get up early every day while on vacation isn't that fun for some. Others might really like it.

Everyone is different in their preferences. I guess it just depends on which type of system gets the most complaints from guests. More complaints leads to Disney change things. If no one was complaining, they wouldn't have a need to change it.

I believe G+ is a simple product. Make LL when you get off a ride and roll them out through the day or every two hours. It becomes difficult when you try to figure out every aspect of it so you can get the most for your money. Which I understand and do myself but for the average guest G+ is not a hard product to figure out.

We were last at Disney in November 2022. My adult/young adult kids went last month with their dad and I did the G+ for just my kids (dad has a toddler so he didn’t do G+) from home for DHS. It was very simple. I basically did the 2 hour ride rule through the day since they didn’t get to the park until 11 am and had lunch at 11:30 so didn’t start rides until 1-2 pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter