Rumored Changes to G+

With an end of January trip planned, I am now starting to buckle down and study, plan, note, the current Genie + system. And not sure if all of what I am going to soon learn will be overhauled or not. 🫤

Real concerned if it is, that the cost will go up even more for such.

if we're going to pay for it regardless I'd much prefer the current G+ than going back a FP+ system. We get a lot more done/convenient stacking when doing G+. I know waking up 7am might not be fun for many, but I'd rather do that than plan 60 days ahead, too much early planning as is already.

With so many mornings recently, today included, where genie is not working properly, perhaps they should get all the bugs worked out before adding more confusion.

Why? They can take peoples money for a broken product so there's no incentive for them

If G+ is going to change, God help us all if it's anything like FP+. I liked FP+ a ton, but I recognize how it only catered to folks who memorized it and lived by it (see defunctland FP video). You're going to run into the same issues that you would have run into with FP+, you may be out of LLs days before your park visits are happening. The other thing about this system that concerns me is pricing, do I now have to buy G+ a week in advance for my entire group?

What I could see be done to Genie+ is not necessarily advanced booking, but day before "preferences" and auto booking. Have Genie+ purchasing time be early in the evening for guests (say 4pm-5pm) and allow them to tier three attractions they want to ride and the time preferences (or opt to get a VQ instead of a LL). At 7am next day, Genie+ will try and reserve your first time slot but will go for the 2nd and 3rd if unavailable. The auto booking could only be available for the first booking of the day. I feel like that is more of a happy medium that allows guests to have some pre-planning abilities without making it a monstrosity of getting ready the week before to book things.
From your keyboard, to Disney’s ears. (Pun intended) 😜

With an end of January trip planned, I am now starting to buckle down and study, plan, note, the current Genie + system. And not sure if all of what I am going to soon learn will be overhauled or not. 🫤

Real concerned if it is, that the cost will go up even more for such.
Your situation raises an important issue. If Disney is planning on switching this system in, say, January - they need to be announcing those changes NOW. They've got to know how far ahead guests plan and research. Hopefully we'll hear more news soon.

if we're going to pay for it regardless I'd much prefer the current G+ than going back a FP+ system. We get a lot more done/convenient stacking when doing G+. I know waking up 7am might not be fun for many, but I'd rather do that than plan 60 days ahead, too much early planning as is already.
I think one of the biggest complaints coming from guests at the moment is that they feel like they have to be on their phones all day in the parks. By providing a bit of a hybrid where you can either plan ahead of time, or do it the same day while in the parks, it would be a good compromise.

A lot of people are making an educated guess that Disney is not going to make the same mistakes of FP+. They'll not let all of the LL's for a particular ride be available 100% for advanced selection. They might save 50% for 'same day,'

Curious how they plan to combat the lack of tier 1 fastpass rides that was already an issue when no individual upcharge attractions or virtual queues existed.

This is going to make that issue even worse than it was previously.

I think one of the biggest complaints coming from guests at the moment is that they feel like they have to be on their phones all day in the parks. By providing a bit of a hybrid where you can either plan ahead of time, or do it the same day while in the parks, it would be a good compromise.

A lot of people are making an educated guess that Disney is not going to make the same mistakes of FP+. They'll not let all of the LL's for a particular ride be available 100% for advanced selection. They might save 50% for 'same day,'
There is no way that Disney is going to make everyone happy. I think by charging for them, you’re going to hear more complaints from guests no matter what they do.

What id like to see is disney release a percentage a couple of days ahead, and you be able to choose time slots, instead of taking what Disney suggests. Let me plan my day, not what Disney suggests. And then Id like them see release additional face passes throughout the day.

Too much money is spent on these trips to spend so much time with your face buried in your phone trying to get a lighting lane.

I wonder if a system like Universal's would be better? A higher price ($150-$200 per day, per person) and it's simply unlimited lightning lanes. Far fewer people would go for this, making the standby faster. No complicated bookings, tiers, timed drops, strained system, etc.
I agree with a higher price. It would be better for those who purchase AND for standby. Right now standby lines are too long because of the loading priority for lighting lane. And maybe there needs to be a combo. One expensive version where you simply get in line (maybe once per ride and maybe unlimited) if you purchased this version… like Universal. Resort guests get this discounted. And, a less expensive version where you get three rides per day, which can be reserved in advance of your trip. Resort guests get this for free. Simplify all the rules. Eliminate the 7 am bs. Etc.

I agree with a higher price. It would be better for those who purchase AND for standby. Right now standby lines are too long because of the loading priority for lighting lane. And maybe there needs to be a combo. One expensive version where you simply get in line (maybe once per ride and maybe unlimited) if you purchased this version… like Universal. Resort guests get this discounted. And, a less expensive version where you get three rides per day, which can be reserved in advance of your trip. Resort guests get this for free. Simplify all the rules. Eliminate the 7 am bs. Etc.
Yeah, remove the ILL revenue and just charge more for it and give on-site a discount (15/20/25%) based on where you’re staying.

If there were to be any Free ones Disney would probably restrict that to second tier attractions that aren’t as popular.

Universal only has 3 Premier hotels that get it free. I would bet that is the majority of users. They do cap the number who can buy it.
Agreed - but it sells out more often than you would think and the price fluctuates depending on how many have already been sold. I don't know if they factor in the number hotel guests as well with that.

@soniam covered it pretty well

Regardless I just don't see it working at Disney unless the attendance continues to drop as is rumored to be happening - and it would have to drop significantly and I don't see that happening.

I do think they need to offer something to the deluxe or club level guests - even if its fee based especially as they offer less and less early entry and EMH.

Anything they can do to get rid of the 7AM wakeup works for me - even though I am usually up at that time.
Id like to see it a day in advance - even a few days out I don't want to be picking the park I am going to.
Back when I did go to Disney I usual decided what park to go to on the morning based on what bus showed up or the weather of just what I felt like for breakfast - Sleepy Hollow waffle sandwich often was the deciding factor - then hop to another park very early - not 2PM

Hmm, so if they reserve some of the more popular rides allocation (say 50%), then won't there be a non-zero chance that I could order this pre-paid advance planning version of Genie + and then not get some Tier 1 ride like Slinky? Oooh I feel my blood boiling already :)

To use the vernacular coined by Defunctland, I've made friends with this version of the monster. So its probably sour grapes on my part that they would change it to a different version.

There is no way that Disney is going to make everyone happy. I think by charging for them, you’re going to hear more complaints from guests no matter what they do.

What id like to see is disney release a percentage a couple of days ahead, and you be able to choose time slots, instead of taking what Disney suggests. Let me plan my day, not what Disney suggests. And then Id like them see release additional face passes throughout the day.

Too much money is spent on these trips to spend so much time with your face buried in your phone trying to get a lighting lane.
Releasing additional LL passes throughout the day will reward people who have their faces buried in their phones. They'll be the ones who get first crack at those additional passes when they are released. If you want to stop having to keep your face buried in your phone, you want a system that does not release LL passes back into the system when they are cancelled. That eliminates the rewards of the "refreshing" strategy that is so phone-intensive. They could offer more LL slots originally, figuring some would be cancelled or just not used. Then, when people do cancel, those spots would then just disappear. If the cancellations make the LL line shorter and mean less waiting for those in the standby line, that is not a bad thing.

Please note that I am not criticizing the idea of saving some LL passes for "day-of." But I think you should make all of those available in the morning, and if they run out, they run out.

I'd like the functionality of FP+ the DAY OF but NO advance bookings.

This eliminates the need to plan in advance or getting up at 7 am. This allows more flexibility in your day without fear the 3 in advance bookings having taken most the time slots like before. Maybe one in advance at 7 am or maybe none until you scan in to the park.

I would have gladly paid for the old FP+ MINUS the advance bookings. It makes if more fair, more functional and more successful.

I'm leaning moreso that Disney will still have the regular Genie + in play come the end of January, but you never know.

I'd like the functionality of FP+ the DAY OF but NO advance bookings.

This eliminates the need to plan in advance or getting up at 7 am. This allows more flexibility in your day without fear the 3 in advance bookings having taken most the time slots like before. Maybe one in advance at 7 am or maybe none until you scan in to the park.

I would have gladly paid for the old FP+ MINUS the advance bookings. It makes if more fair, more functional and more successful.
I'm not sure I understand and am sincerely just looking for clarification. What would the difference between the current version of Genie+ and FP+ without advance booking be?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter