• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does the long term implications of this bother me more than loss of anything in the parks, including fireworks?

We have become really attached to starting our vacation with DME.

This. Not to be negative, but I really don't think Disney is ever going to be the same again. Don't get me wrong, I think a lot of things will eventually open back up again and be more "normal" like the shows, fireworks etc... But, I also think that certain changes and cutbacks are going to be permanent, too. ETA: This came across wrong, I didn't mean to imply DME gone forever, just things in general.

Last edited:
This. Not to be negative, but I really don't think Disney is ever going to be the same again. Don't get me wrong, I think a lot of things will eventually open back up again and be more "normal" like the shows, fireworks etc... But, I also think that certain changes and cutbacks are going to be permanent, too.

I agree.

Fortunately DME brings them revenue in a roundabout way, so fingers crossed once the crowd management issues become lessened any hypothetical removal of DME is temporary.

The information is starting to get passed around on FB groups. It's amazing (and sad) how defensive and angry people are getting over it. It honestly is shocking how many people are totally and utterly out of touch with reality. As well as how obsessed some people are.
The obsession part freaks me out. I can’t help but feel that the people who are saying they’ll be there come hell or high water are the same people who will travel and enter a park even if they’re experiencing symptoms. They gotta take a deep breath, remember the real priorities, and CHILL.

Oh and because I haven’t seen it yet... David’s Rentals today in an email said they aren’t booking any DVCpoints rental until August 1st. another interesting nugget!

Edit: sorry to bring this back up! Things are what they are and I’ll trust wdw to do the right thing regardless of public outcry. We all love and miss the normalcy that the parks bring, even when we aren’t there.

You can have CMs serving the food, using gloves and masks. That is how cruise lines do it when there is noro on board.
Pete gave you a shoutout on the DIS Unplugged today. I was watching while on the elliptical and got all excited like “hey I know her!” Errr well, know of her :)

Based on some things I'm hearing from the Orlando Chamber of Commerce, I think there's a decent chance WDW may not provide transportation. They'd waive parking fees, but if you visited you'd need to rent a car or a cab, and if you chose not to have your own car, you'd be dependent on Mears or Minnie Vans for interpark transportation. From what they say, WDW feels as though they can manage the ride queues with reduced capacity and staffing, but busses and monorails are a different concern, especially since they are often overcrowded, and WDW doesn't know how it will mitigate the bus traffic that's currently a necessity at the resort.

The folks are in the OCC, but I don't know how connected they are. But they've said a lot of their conversations have been about car availability and private transportation options.

Don't know how true it is, but that's what they told me today.
free transportation has always been one of the selling points but as we know free can go away at any time, and often does. Perhaps parking is now waived to encourage personal transport, but on-sure transportation now costs money. Monorail transport in a private car for your party only is a band swipe and $10. Bus package for your stay is an extra $100. Whatever helps keep things moving but not insanely packed.

Then again Minnie vans are $$ and you can barely ever get one because of the high demand, so who knows. Just another thing that sounds impossible to manage right now.

I can't see spending $$$ to go for limited experience. We've all been at parks when multiple people are spreading multiple illnesses. Humans have been around for a long time because we have strong immune systems. I think we can move on with our lives once we realize that there are treatments that will come out for COVID and we can all get on with life.
Right now we have nothing for COVID 19. Supportive treatment only. Some people get lucky. Others not. That is the thing about a novel illness. We are still completely bewildered by what is going on pathologically. We have never seen anything like this before.

You have to think too they are calculating the risks of opening up for a month or two .. barely squeaking by and a "second wave" comes around and the politicians decide to lock things down again. (Which, in my opinion, would probably destroy the economy and ruin even large companies like Disney -- simply due to the uncertainty of how to even move forward with what they do as a business to make money.
I took this off another forum but this is what they think what Disney will look like for now.

• Magic Kingdom reopens with limited capacity, no theaters, no parades, no castle shows, no fireworks and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit.
  • Magic Kingdom resorts reopen with strict distancing guidelines in place.
  • Monorails would not operate.
  • Ferries and boat transportation would operate with distancing in place.
  • Health checks would be introduced at every security checkpoint. This would include temperature checks and Q&A (including locations you have traveled to in the past 14 days).
  • Guests will have to sign additional legal forms clearing Disney of liability for potential exposure to COVID-19.
  • EPCOT will remain closed if other parks are able to reopen prior to September.
  • Hollywood Studios reopens with limited capacity, no indoor theaters, no parades, no fireworks, and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit.
  • Animal Kingdom reopens with limited capacity, no indoor theaters, no parades, no Rivers of Light, and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit. Maharajah Jungle Trek would remain closed, and no close encounters with any animals at any place in the park will be permitted. Details about Animal Kingdom are still being developed.
  • Transportation guidelines are still being developed.
  • Dining guidelines are still being developed.
  • No character meet and greets.
  • No character dining.
A Disney without character dining, character M&Gs, no theaters, no parades and no fireworks isn't a theme park anymore, it's just an amusement park. And they would have to offer extreme discounts to get people to vacation there (like 50% off hotel and 50% off tickets). Probably won't be an issue to get locals there, but without those things that separate WDW from other parks, I feel most people (except locals) will just wait until this is "over" .. which means it may not even be worth for Disney to open the doors.

I mean . .a DHS without indoor theaters? A LOT of that park is indoor theaters and meet and greets: Frozen, Disney Junior, Little Mermaid, Muppets, Mickey Shorts theater, Star Wars Launch bay .. etc.

Why does the long term implications of this bother me more than loss of anything in the parks, including fireworks?

We have become really attached to starting our vacation with DME.

I definitely know how you feel. Actually, the vacation, for me, actually starts before that. It starts the moment we step on the plane, or maybe even when we sit down at our gate, and we can exhale. Because we know we're not going to have to worry about the luggage when we get there. We know our transportation is taken care of. We don't have to go to some rental counter, which can sometimes be a bit of a hassle. So, once we step on the plane...we know we are taken care of.

So, DME is definitely a bonus.

But, for me....the transportation around the resort would be a HUGE loss. If we are gonna be driving, we might as well stay off property. It is probably the #1 perk that keeps us staying on property. I mean, sure, Extra Magic Hours are nice. But, we stay on property for two reasons: 1) the transportation and 2) the "magic." Meaning the immersive experience of the resorts, the common areas, the recreation, the dining, and so on. Well, it sounds like a lot of that will be going away too, at least for the time being.

Without the transportation, I don't really have a big reason to stay on property.

Based on some things I'm hearing from the Orlando Chamber of Commerce, I think there's a decent chance WDW may not provide transportation. They'd waive parking fees, but if you visited you'd need to rent a car or a cab, and if you chose not to have your own car, you'd be dependent on Mears or Minnie Vans for interpark transportation. From what they say, WDW feels as though they can manage the ride queues with reduced capacity and staffing, but busses and monorails are a different concern, especially since they are often overcrowded, and WDW doesn't know how it will mitigate the bus traffic that's currently a necessity at the resort.

The folks are in the OCC, but I don't know how connected they are. But they've said a lot of their conversations have been about car availability and private transportation options.

Don't know how true it is, but that's what they told me today.
How would that work for Mk? Only place to park is t&tc.

Per the rumored plan monorails would not be open but ferries/boats would be with social distancing practices.

The thing I don't entirely get about that is....in order for the ferry to be socially distanced, there are not going to be very many people on the ferries. And, if everyone will be coming in via the TTC, instead of via other modes of transportation as they are now...(with the exception of maybe resorts by boat if they are open), then the demand for the ferry is going to be decently extensive. So, demand for the Ferry, but half or less capacity on each Ferry? That doesn't really add up to me.

The response might be....well, with reduced capacity in the park, there won't be as many people. Which, if that's the case, why not run the monorail? Each family could have one car. If the attendance is going to be that low, why not run the monorails with one party per car? I don't see how that's any worse than being on the ferry.

How would that work for Mk? Only place to park is t&tc.

I wish that would change...I hate TTC...and if they figured out a way so folks could walk out of MK, and not have bottlenecks to get out, it would become my favorite park again...but for now, the time suck and the crowds for entry/exit make it my least favorite park...

That's where I'd put my cap x...get people from the park to their car by walking only...just like you can do at the other 3...

Edit: Especially since the ferries or monorails create automatic unavoidable bottlenecks, unless you ticket at TTC...

The thing I don't entirely get about that is....in order for the ferry to be socially distanced, there are not going to be very many people on the ferries. And, if everyone will be coming in via the TTC, instead of via other modes of transportation as they are now...(with the exception of maybe resorts by boat if they are open), then the demand for the ferry is going to be decently extensive. So, demand for the Ferry, but half or less capacity on each Ferry? That doesn't really add up to me.

The response might be....well, with reduced capacity in the park, there won't be as many people. Which, if that's the case, why not run the monorail? Each family could have one car. If the attendance is going to be that low, why not run the monorails with one party per car? I don't see how that's any worse than being on the ferry.

Isn’t ferry open air? I haven’t been on it in ages but I thought so.

My guess would be the ferrys allow for more distancing than the monorails do, and are less confined than a monorail car. Likewise with the monorail-line boats. The biggest question would be the Contemporary, but they could allocate some of the trams to that.

I don't know. All I know is that from what they were telling me, WDW is have a very hard time figuring out what to do about the busses.

Isn’t ferry open air? I haven’t been on it in ages but I thought so.

It is...but I'm not sure it runs in bad weather...and that might be a huge sticking point in summer...

Again, they need a plan for folks to walk out of MK to their cars...not sure if you can walk folks to a hotel parking lot or two from there on that opened path, but that should be in the plans...

PS - This is why I always thought AK was 1st...no transport problems at all...and huge fixed overhead suck there (with all the animal costs) that needs to be mitigated...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter