Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From reading through this thread how so few of you go to the parks to ride rides. I do lots of road trips in the summer to travel to different amusement parks to ride rides. For me parades, fireworks and events don't do much for me.

We are APs we are all also essential workers and we are cautiously optimistic that even if RunDisney is cancelled in November the parks will be open...

So up to 50% reduced services but at 100% ticket prices? Yeah, no.
Here's the thing though. No one goes to Disney to experience 100% of its services. I can't even imagine the time and expense that would be involved in riding every ride, seeing every show, watching every parade, eating at every restaurant, and meeting every character. Instead, the very idea of "trip planning" is looking at the pool of available options and choosing which of them you wish to experience. I bet the vast majority of visitors don't even experience 50% of what Disney had to offer them during the course of their trip.

So the question is not "Is Disney offering 100% of everything it has?" but rather, "Is Disney offering 100% (or darn close) of what makes it worth it to me?" For many on this board, who visit often and are mostly attracted to special events, parties, and new rides and attractions, a limited reopening might not offer them what they are willing to pay Disney prices for. But for many other families who've never ridden Dumbo or eaten a Disney churro and don't care so much about parades or F&W, a limited reopening might be a more than satisfactory vacation.

From reading through this thread how so few of you go to the parks to ride rides. I do lots of road trips in the summer to travel to different amusement parks to ride rides. For me parades, fireworks and events don't do much for me.
We are just the opposite; we care don't really care about the rides or even the parades and fireworks anymore. But then, we have been going since1971 and used to live an hour away. Up until a few years ago, we would take about four trips per year, but because of the crowds, I stopped going. My wife has gone once each of the last two years though with our adult daughters. We just enjoyed walking around the parks, going through the shops and trying different foods. After the parks reopen, we may take a trip again, if the crowds are lower.

So the question is not "Is Disney offering 100% of everything it has?" but rather, "Is Disney offering 100% (or darn close) of what makes it worth it to me?" For many on this board, who visit often and are mostly attracted to special events, parties, and new rides and attractions, a limited reopening might not offer them what they are willing to pay Disney prices for. But for many other families who've never ridden Dumbo or eaten a Disney churro and don't care so much about parades or F&W, a limited reopening might be a more than satisfactory vacation.

Well said -- if there were MAJOR things changed .. (like one of the parks not open, or no fireworks show, or severely reduced hours) -- I'd consider postponing a summer trip since I wouldn't be getting my money's value.

But if minor attractions or restaurants are closed to help them staff other areas .. sure. I think I can deal with Muppetvision or Frozen Sing-Along being closed if that means Galaxy's Edge is running at full capacity.

I think Disney will find a good balance. They want people in the parks. They already saw what opening "half" a land in SWGE did for their attendance as a lot people just opted to wait until the whole thing was done. (if the success of Rise was any indication).

I wonder if they continue to extend AP's and multi day tickets from cancelled trips if things are open but limited. I guess it would depend how limited we're talking. I would HOPE that by mid December when the extended multi day tickets have to be used by things are running as whatever the new normal is, but you never know.

Well said -- if there were MAJOR things changed .. (like one of the parks not open, or no fireworks show, or severely reduced hours) -- I'd consider postponing a summer trip since I wouldn't be getting my money's value.

But if minor attractions or restaurants are closed to help them staff other areas .. sure. I think I can deal with Muppetvision or Frozen Sing-Along being closed if that means Galaxy's Edge is running at full capacity.

I think Disney will find a good balance. They want people in the parks. They already saw what opening "half" a land in SWGE did for their attendance as a lot people just opted to wait until the whole thing was done. (if the success of Rise was any indication).
Ahem! You leave the Frozen Sing-Along alone. Even my totally jaded 14-year old DS loves it. Screaming “puddle” at the top of our lungs, priceless! :rotfl2:

If park activities like events, meet and greets, shows, fireworks, and parades are non existent which may be necessary for crowd control then what's left is mostly rides. Now, you will have a concentration of everyone doing rides; because, the other activities are either reduced or not available at all. That will really create a bottleneck for rides. There will not be any other choices to spread everyone around. I think this will cause a lot of disappointment.

If park activities like events, meet and greets, shows, fireworks, and parades are non existent which may be necessary for crowd control then what's left is mostly rides. Now, you will have a concentration of everyone doing rides; because, the other activities are either reduced or not available at all. That will really create a bottleneck for rides. There will not be any other choices to spread everyone around. I think this will cause a lot of disappointment.
Don’t forget only 1/2 the rides running at 1/2 capacity with virtual queue/boarding groups if rumors are to also be believed

I would not travel to WDW if most of these rumors come true unless maybe I could get a Disney hotel room for almost next to nothing, otherwise it wouldn't be worth the cost or travel hassle for me (I don't live that close to an airport).
I think that's the key .. if they open up at "reduced capacity" .. they will have to discount hotels a TON .. and give some extra incentives to come (like a $XXX gift card .. or a HUGE bounceback offer to come back later in the year or 2021) ..

They will of course spin the reduced capacity as "virus crowd control" (when in reality it will be cost saving measures and simply not having enough trained cast members to run things at full steam).

So I noticed something interesting as I've been trying to adjust my travel plans.

I had a trip originally booked for Easter, and moved it to MDW. When I made the change, I was 60+ days out, so I was still able to book all the FPs I wanted etc. But the main thing I ran into was dining. Everything I wanted was so difficult to get into or at weird times! I never saw demand like that. There wasn't a single slot available for Oga's. I was doing this probably 2nd week of March.

Well today I moved that MDW trip to the last weekend in July and dining availability was WAYY open. There were multiple California Grill reservations available for a Saturday night. I've never seen that availability before.

This makes me wonder if maybe Disney was limiting capacity at restaurants for MDW prior to making the June 1st call. Thoughts?

So I noticed something interesting as I've been trying to adjust my travel plans.

I had a trip originally booked for Easter, and moved it to MDW. When I made the change, I was 60+ days out, so I was still able to book all the FPs I wanted etc. But the main thing I ran into was dining. Everything I wanted was so difficult to get into or at weird times! I never saw demand like that. There wasn't a single slot available for Oga's. I was doing this probably 2nd week of March.

Well today I moved that MDW trip to the last weekend in July and dining availability was WAYY open. There were multiple California Grill reservations available for a Saturday night. I've never seen that availability before.

This makes me wonder if maybe Disney was limiting capacity at restaurants for MDW prior to making the June 1st call. Thoughts?
Memorial Day Weekend is a holiday. Holidays get busy. Busier than regular weekends.

I just started looking at changing my end of July trip to Labor Day weekend (because I think there is a high chance that WDW will have too many things closed in July, even if they manage to open in June). I’ve been looking for Cali Grill and the only time available is 9:50pm. But, the weekend after Labor Day has plenty of availability.

So, no, I don’t think they were holding any ADRs back on Memorial Day weekend.

Last edited:
Memorial Day Weekend is a holiday. Holidays get busy. Busier than regular weekends.

I just started looking at changing my end of July trip to Labor Day weekend (because I think there is a high chance that WDW will have too many things closed in July, even if they manage to open in June). I’ve been looking for Cali Grill and the only time available is 9:50pm. But, the weekend after Labor Day has plenty of availability.

So, no, I don’t think they were holding any ADRs back on Memorial Day weekend.
I’m well aware MDW being a holiday weekend, but I was even struggling to get reservations at Chefs de France. And i also mentioned how there wasnt a single reservation to be had for Ogas. Just seemed odd to me.

WDW reservations are like gold. People who have booked MDW trips aren't going to just go in and cancel their reservations voluntarily (either they don't want to and have optimism, or they just keep them until the day before .. there is no benefit to cancelling them early).

So.. those reservations were probably booked solid a few months ago .. (before all this) .. no reason they will magically clear out (even if people are probably cancelling trips pre-emptively for that weekend). Same with FPs .. people aren't going to go in and manually cancel their FPs even if they've cancelled their trip for May.

I’m well aware MDW being a holiday weekend, but I was even struggling to get reservations at Chefs de France. And i also mentioned how there wasnt a single reservation to be had for Ogas. Just seemed odd to me.
There's also a significant difference between booking dining under 60 days in advance vs. 90+.

I have an October trip planned. If any "modified experience" includes cancelling the F&W this year, I'm out.
We also have our next trip in October for F&W.
I'm also concerned what all of this will do to F&W. Hoping its the same experience, but not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter