Rules re: minimum age to be alone in WDW hotel room?

The world today is much statistically safer than 30 years ago, I think only one state has a law regarding kids staying alone. My dd16 and dd14 stayed in a hotel in Philadelphia alone for two nights in November, with other families next door (I had a medical emergency, they had a dance competition).

I agree. I think the world is safer today as well. Doesn't change the laws though.

Currently 3 states have age laws on the books regarding being "home alone." Illinois (14), Maryland (8), and Oregon (10).

I agree. I think the world is safer today as well. Doesn't change the laws though.

Currently 3 states have age laws on the books regarding being "home alone." Illinois (14), Maryland (8), and Oregon (10).

I live in Illinois, and that’s not exactly accurate.

The law is that a minor under 14 cannot be left alone for an unreasonable amount of time without regard to their health, safety, and welfare. (Although there are no definitions for “unreasonable amount of time” or “health, safety, and welfare” because, well, Illinois.)

Personally, I wouldn’t take the risk of having those terms defined unfavorably for me, but I know plenty of people who do.

Your kids need to be aware of the daily room checks. There is no rhyme or reason as to when they come to do that. That's with DVC villas, too, not just the hotels.

Your kids need to be aware of the daily room checks. There is no rhyme or reason as to when they come to do that. That's with DVC villas, too, not just the hotels.
Absolutely - thx! We’re here now and there hasn’t been a need for them to be alone in the room at all. I think if we do it, we’ll do it after the room check has happened — we can always tell from the empty trash cans. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter