Rule on new resort points at diff resort?

Snurk71

DIS Veteran
I read somewhere that there is a restriction on using points for a resort that isn't open yet. What is that rule?

We're thinking of buying VGC, which wasn't supposed to open until Nov or Dec originally (after our trip to WDW this year). They've moved up VGC's opening to 9/23 though, which will be before our WDW this year. So if we buy VGC now, would we able to use the VGC points at WDW in Oct (assuming room availability)?

Thanks

If you receive "Developers Points" as an incentive, you may use those at WDW...though lately they have been restricted to use at SSR.

VGC home resort points would not be able to be used for any reservation prior to the unit in which you have purchased opening, even if the rest of he resort is open. Because in theory, you are trading your points for a non-home resort DVC reservation. If your unit isn't open, you have nothing to trade.

For instance, a "unit" at OKW was a building, so if you bought into building 62, but bldg. 62 wasn't yet open and operating, then you'd have nothing to trade to stay at any other location. In other DVC resorts, a unit is a group of rooms, consisting of an assortment of room sizes.

That would be a great question for your guide. I bought in at BLT and could only book the points for trips after opening. Originally, it was not scheduled to open until September, after our August trip, so I wasn't going to add on there until we went.

But, when they announced it would open August 4th, I bought and am able to use my BLT points for our trip - which begins August 5th!!!

Good luck!!!

We recently bought points at BLT. We cannot use any of those points at any resort until BLT opens, which is scheduled for August 4, 2009. Its as if the points don't exist until that date. I assume that if Disney changes the opening date for BLT, it will also change the date the BLT points go "live."

What are "developer points"?

One of the incentives a while back was to be given a set of "developer points" with purchase.

These points were an equal number of points (ie: if you purchase 160 points, you would get 160 DP's) and they could be used for stays at SSR in WDW, at DL, and could be traded into RCI for future use (I believe those were all the conditions). Most carried an expiration date of October 3rd.

Of course, on April 1st, when they came out with the new incentives, and they replaced Developer points, with additional price per point reductions.

I originally bought BLT with a $5.00 per point price reduction ($107/ppt) and matching Developer points. But it made more sense to change to the new incentives on April 1st (I had not closed my contract yet) and get all the points at $96.00/ppt instead and give up the DP's.

I purchased at the VGC and wanted to book using my points, not at my home resort, but at WDW. This was before they moved up the opening date. When I called they said I could use my points for a reservation at one of the other properties for anytime after Nov 30th, which was the schedulred openeing date. So I booked for the first week of Dec. I would think now that they have officially announced the opening date as Sept, you should be able to book at other resorts from that date on, but MS would be able to tell you for sure. We are only a few weeks away from being able to call and book at VGC as well.

Also known as GCV - Grand California Villas

While many called it the Grand Californian Villas early on, Disney's now official name is "The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa", so the DIS has adopted "VGC" as the preferred reference.

This is similar to VWL being preferred over WLV.

We don't have anything firm yet for the Ko'Olina resort in Hawaii. And if indeed the Washington DC land purchase does become a DVC resort, we'll need to add that one sometime in the future too.

One of the incentives a while back was to be given a set of "developer points" with purchase.

These points were an equal number of points (ie: if you purchase 160 points, you would get 160 DP's) and they could be used for stays at SSR in WDW, at DL, and could be traded into RCI for future use (I believe those were all the conditions). Most carried an expiration date of October 3rd.

Of course, on April 1st, when they came out with the new incentives, and they replaced Developer points, with additional price per point reductions.

I originally bought BLT with a $5.00 per point price reduction ($107/ppt) and matching Developer points. But it made more sense to change to the new incentives on April 1st (I had not closed my contract yet) and get all the points at $96.00/ppt instead and give up the DP's.

:thanks: :thumbsup2

I read somewhere that there is a restriction on using points for a resort that isn't open yet. What is that rule?

We're thinking of buying VGC, which wasn't supposed to open until Nov or Dec originally (after our trip to WDW this year). They've moved up VGC's opening to 9/23 though, which will be before our WDW this year. So if we buy VGC now, would we able to use the VGC points at WDW in Oct (assuming room availability)?

Thanks

Once the resort is open, your points will be available to use to stay. I bought BLT (which is scheduled to open in August) and, while I can of course use my points to make reservations, I cannot stay anywhere using my points (even at a non-home resort) until after BLT opens. That's one of the reasons why your maintenance fees are prorated. But, if you received developer points (which are probably limited to specific resorts) you can absolutely use them now. Enjoy!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter