• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rude People

The McDonalds with the locked door is probably breaking some fire rules too.
I also hate it when people park in the access space. We did try to get someone ticketed for parking there once, but the policeman said he could not ticket her because she had a handicapped parking permit. I think most people would not condone vandalism. It sounds satisfying to think about it, but the vandlizer could possibly get a ticket too, so it is not a good reason for many reasons.

Originally posted by SueM in MN
I think most people would not condone vandalism. It sounds satisfying to think about it, but the vandlizer could possibly get a ticket too, so it is not a good reason for many reasons.

Ay yes, but who's to say the damage isn't "accidental"? It's not my fault I have to get a wheelchair out. It's not my fault that you parked in a space that is designed for that purpose, and if you truly were handicapped you would have the common decency not to park there. And it's not my fault that said wheelchair horribly maimed your vehicle.

MrKlixx

(vengeance clipart)

ok, now i'm going to share w/u my family's secret for getting a parking space close to the door, or getting your handicapped space right where u want it.....about 5 minutes before u arrive at your destination, start visualizing the space u need...over and over...see it, imagine how wide and spacious it is with no blockages, right near that ramp up to the sidewalk...without any puddles to traverse, or melting ice cream to roll thru...keep the picture in your mind as u come into the lot... imagine how happy u'll be as you come up to the spot, and easily park and exit your vehicle....90% of the time, I get my space! What u don't believe me??? I'm devastated!

OK, so that's a little bit of an exaggeration...<g> but try it! I think its the power of positive thinking! LOL It always works for the rest of my family even w/regular spaces... especially at xmas time! GO FOR IT!

I like that visualizing! Sure can't do any harm to dream!

Once my DM (CDoobee), DSis (CDoobeeJr.) and I went to a local department store. Mom let me out (I use a motorized wheelchair), then began to get little sis out of her carseat. I went ahead into the store. Just then, a woman pulled in next to our minivan onto the striped space. My mom confronted her and asked her if she realized that she was parked illegaly. She replied (and I hear this excuse so much it makes me want to retch), "I'm just running in for a minute." My mom said, "Still, that isn't a space. It's for letting down a wheelchair lift. If you park there, I can't get my daughter back in the car." The lady sighed loudly, rolled her eyes, and got back in her car. She backed up, and then just sat there. Apparently, she planned to wait for my mom to put me in the car, then to pull right back in. I had just gone in the store.. I wasn't even around! So my mom calmly got back in the car, backed up, and pulled over, half in the space and half on the lines, so there was enough room to get me in, but not enough for the lady's car! hehe The lady pulled away. My mom decided to wait a bit to get out of the car, because the woman was a bit, er, larger than my mom, and she had no desire to be pummeled in the parking lot that day (or any other, for that matter :D ). The woman parked (a few spaces down, I might add.. ooh, what a difference! :smooth: ), and as she walked past our minivan, she spit on it.

Some people have the maturity of a green banana. :crazy:

I don't have a disabilitie, but I read these boards when I have the chance. It seems that there are usually posts that are very hope-filled, and everyone on these boards seems to be very level-headed and down to earth. I was upset by this post; I can't believe the way some people act. I think it's terrible that someone would spit on a van or cuss someone out for having a disablitie. While reading the post, I kept thinking that I was glad I didn't do any of the bad things. Well, it dawned on me that I may be guilty of one crime. Often, late at night, when everyone is trying to leave the parks, I tend to walk quickly and dart around people. As far as I know, I have never cut off anyone in a wheelchair or ecv. If I have, I'm very sorry. I usually never stop moving, so I don't cause other people to have to stop. If I cut through a space between people, I make sure it is wide enough that I don't inconvenience anyone. I've apoligized for stopping in front of people when it has happened. Now, I know to leave space for ecvs and wheelchairs to stop. Once again, to anyone I may have cut off, I'm very sorry.

VelvetGloves

When I posted the original message I would have never thought it would have over 65 responses and 1700 views. I guess what this tells me is that the treatment of handicap people at WDW is a problem and that Disney management should take some kind of action. While most of the problems come down to good manors ( it seems like alot of visitors are lacking in this department)......
Perhaps an area of the public walkway that is sectioned or striped off for wheelchairs or ECV's to travel away from the crowd (much like the painted bike paths along roads) could solve many of these problems.

What do you think?

Gordon

Gordon hunny I'm behinf ya on that idea!!!:bounce: :bounce: (or maybe I shoud say beside ya so I dont run ya over accidentally LOL)

Thanks, velvetgloves. If everyone thought that way, it would be much easier to travel at WDW.
Gordon, I think that the designated walkway area is a good idea in theory, but I don't hink it would work well in practice. One evening in March, we watched the TON parades. Even thought there were roped off areas on each side of the parade route, CMs had a lot of trouble keeping people out of the path of the parade. Now if they won't move out of the way for that big 15 foot tall drum, I don't think there is a lot of hope for people in ecvs and wheelchairs.

It all goes back to training. My parents would not have allowed "BAD" behavior toward anyone.

It all goes back to training. My parents would not have allowed "BAD" treatment toward anyone. And we don't allow our son to to be rude. Why should children behave any different at WDW then they do at home. Just go to a movie or park near home.

hi velvet, thanks for your kind thoughts... we know most people don't intentionally cut us off, or realize just how difficult it is to navigate around sometimes, and we(see, when u r handicapped u get to use the royal we<g?lol) but the main worry i have is that i'll bump into/run over or into a small child, or any other park guest or worker. so, thanks for thinking of us!

a note to those regarding vandals,
i was going to work one morning, and insisted on using the appropriate space, even tho a truck w/o plates in front of me was going to back into the space and he didn't have a placard or handicapped plates, and he's already driven by the space, so i figured, what the heck, it was mine. when i came out that afternoon, someone, (i don't know who, can't imagine) had taken acid from one of the labs in the hospital and thrown it all over my car, stripping off paint everywhere! what a mess! so, i no longer challenge any idiot who wants the spot! god knows what the next one will do! but the points is, no way was that man handicapped, he didn't miss one spot on my car, high or low! and he did it quickly enough that the cameras didn't catch him! so... let them have the darn spot! there's always or almost always another one and if there isn't, well i guess i'll just go somewhere else!

nancy, I am horrified to hear what happened to your car. You were lucky thought. Someone who did that to your car could easily have done it to you (and probably would, too). I am very sad to hear that anyone would do anything like that.

yes i know it cd have... i lucked out that the closest acid was in his lab, not his truck! makes u wonder what kind of nuts are out there tho!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter