Royal Gathering - adult required with young kids?

hockeyfanytz

Earning My Ears
Question on booking this - it says children under 8 need to be accompanied by an adult.

Does this require an adult to book a spot with the kid, or can we simply book one spot for our kid? I guess my question is do I need to book two spots, or just one is fine.

Thanks!

I would book two, but on the Dream recently for the reserved character meets, they weren't really checking the number of people, they just had you hold up your phone and looked at the time. I'm not sure what the advantage is of only booking one, though?

I had this same question and used the chat feature on the DCL website to ask a cast member. I was told I only needed to book for my kids if we weren't going to be in the pictures too, so in our case only 2 spots, and my husband and I can still take pictures of them.

I would book two, but on the Dream recently for the reserved character meets, they weren't really checking the number of people, they just had you hold up your phone and looked at the time. I'm not sure what the advantage is of only booking one, though?
To not take spots away from other people trying to book :) It's a popular activity so we wanted to book only the spots needed.

Just planning in case there is only one spot available - would just book the kid

Just planning in case there is only one spot available - would just book the kid

I booked the Royal Gathering at midnight check in day, before I did the check in. There was lots of availability, but I heard that people who did the check-in first and then came back to book the gathering didn't have as much luck.

I booked the Royal Gathering at midnight check in day, before I did the check in. There was lots of availability, but I heard that people who did the check-in first and then came back to book the gathering didn't have as much luck.
Was it always like this or is this because they’ve had a hard time hiring face characters since the pandemic and are understaffed? It shocks me that supply is so much lower than demand that simply waiting to book it after checking in, right at midnight, put it out of reach for many families.

Was it always like this or is this because they’ve had a hard time hiring face characters since the pandemic and are understaffed? It shocks me that supply is so much lower than demand that simply waiting to book it after checking in, right at midnight, put it out of reach for many families.
It used to be bookable by castaway club status, and yes it was popular—I remember people complaining it sold out at midnight on silver day and first timers had no chance. My sense is they moved this to 30 days so first timers would have something they could book without feeling shut out.

I had this same question and used the chat feature on the DCL website to ask a cast member. I was told I only needed to book for my kids if we weren't going to be in the pictures too, so in our case only 2 spots, and my husband and I can still take pictures of them.
This is what we’ve done. I just sign up my daughters and I don’t get in the pictures.

I should have done this! I missed it this time but last time we sailed I booked it onboard so I’m hoping we can do the same this time.

This happened to me in December on both the 3 and 4 nights I did on the Wonder. I didn’t do check in until about 2 hours later (I’m in the U.K. so 5am just does not happen) and the Royal gathering was sold out by then. There were TONS of first timers on both those cruises.

I did not have the same issue for a 7 night cruise on the Magic in September.

Maybe it depends how many sea days the cruise has as the more sea days the more offerings there will be.

I hope those of you who missed it can do it on board. My point is that the princesses are all on board the ship for at least a few days… why can’t they double the number of slots?

Oh well, at least I’ll know to only book for my kids at our next 30 day mark so that more people have a chance to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter