Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Same. Very jealous of Roxykiddo she's always wearing cute clothes and doing fun things if your journal is any indication.

I get mom-guilt when I'm at work all day so when I get home it's kind of like a crazy fun-splosion some days. Which is a lot easier when the weather is nice like right now.

I love that checklist! When E gets old enough, I may steal that idea : ) Also, we definitely bought Beauty and the Beast last night after being reminded by you that it was out.

I stole the idea basically from Dora the Explorer and her maps.
Also blame @run.minnie.miles for the DVD enabling...she reminded me!

Love the checklist. And, I need to get out and buy B&B!!

B&tB virtual viewing party!!!! B party!!!

Despite my early purchase, I still haven't even watched the DVD yet! Did you watch it last night??
I am imagining a perfect situation where I'm wearing my princess half shirt, it's early enough that I don't fall asleep, and can enjoy popcorn w/ peanut M&Ms and an ice cold diet coke :) If it doesn't happen tonight, it will be a Saturday afternoon post-run treat (when it's hotter than the face of the sun out).

I don't think I've shared this before but about once a week I surprise kiddo with a fun checklist when I pick her up from school. Today's one of those days. It's usually when we've got errands I need to run (like post office, or groceries, or packet pickups, etc and it keeps her focused on not begging to go to the park)
Today it's just fun stuff :)
View attachment 242579
I LOVE this idea! Roxykiddo is one lucky kiddo!

Despite my early purchase, I still haven't even watched the DVD yet! Did you watch it last night??
I am imagining a perfect situation where I'm wearing my princess half shirt, it's early enough that I don't fall asleep, and can enjoy popcorn w/ peanut M&Ms and an ice cold diet coke :) If it doesn't happen tonight, it will be a Saturday afternoon post-run treat (when it's hotter than the face of the sun out).

Since we had so much fun at the park with soccer and then out to eat we didn't start the movie until like 7:30. So we only made just short of an hour dent in it before it was books and bed time. My guess is she's going to ask to watch the end after dinner tonight :) UGH M&Ms AND COLD DIET COKE...GAH I WANT THAT! I've got boring pretzels and water at the moment...snore!

I LOVE this idea! Roxykiddo is one lucky kiddo!

Roxykiddo is both lucky and spoiled so I'm working on undoing some of the spoiled part...But she's such a good kiddo and not bratty that it's hard not to spoil her!

Guess Who's Back, Back Again...

giphy.gif

MY TRAINING PLAN!

After a short hiatus from doing anything productive in relationship to running; I am back with a @DopeyBadger excel spreadsheet in hand and a will to get back out there. Cause I honestly miss it. Weird, huh?
But luckily my hiatus made it much easier for my hubby to get in his peak training for his Batavia Triathlon this weekend and I think I've talked him into writing up a little recap for you all finally. We shall see if I can bug him enough today to write it :)
His next big event is 7/9 and it's an Olympic distance one in Lake Zurich. And then he's signed up for the Chicago Half Marathon too (with a sprint tri in august thrown in mix)!!!

I did go to Top Golf this weekend for a Bachelorette party. Anyone have Top Golf's by you?...it's like bowling meets driving range with huge targets that you try to hit your ball into. I was on my high school's varsity golf team but to say I am rusty now is a huge understatement. It helps that my bestie (the one I ran my Turkey race with last year) is a professional college golf coach and her friends are pretty good too, so they were giving me pointers. And I was ripping it!!!! (for me...my version of ripping it...just to be clear) So now I'm wondering if I should try a round with hubby sometime? It could be terrible but at least he'll forgive me of mulligans and whifs, etc.
So at least I've been sorta-semi-athletic-ish this weekend.
AND UGH WHY IS IT SO HOT?? Morning and Evening running here I come!

So kind of a brief look into what I'll be up to (I mean you all probably basically already know)
I start training again tomorrow and it kind of builds up slowly to my 5k/10k Rock n Roll challenge 7/15 weekend. And to be honest with how hot it's been...the treadmill in the air conditioning doesn't sound so bad. Then I just keep rolling (and maybe rocking) with my plan straight through to the Chicago half marathon 9/24. I have one beach vacay in late August and kind of excited to explore the area with training runs.
My paces are right where they were for my spring plan. No need to change them that I can tell for right now.
I'll just throw out my preliminary goal into the wind...Beat my Tink race and smash my final two miles (where I kind of fizzled out a tad this last time.) I'll reserve actual time guesses for closer to race day even though Billy already has one in mind for me.

There's some new types of things on my training plan with strides, etc. So that's exciting and I'll have questions about that. Here's this week!

giphy.gif

CHI HALF Training Plan Week #1:
Monday 6/12: OFF
Tuesday 6/13: 2.5 mi @ EA (which is 12:03)
Wed 6/14: OFF, so likely some basement yoga and STIR app (my 7 min app that has things like lunges, wall sits, planks, blargch)
Thursday 6/15: 2.5 mi @EA - dejavu
Friday 6/16: OFF
Saturday 6/17: 2.5 mi @ EA - dejavu again
Sunday 6/18: 3 mi @ EB (11:16) + strides

OK STRIDE QUESTION!!!???:
I'm used to doing some strides during race warm-ups...but I'm not very exact with them. Like I don't often time them or measure them in a real scientific way other than counting seconds in my head. During my 3 miles this Sunday when should I work my strides in and should I go by time or by distance travelled? Also are the strides on top of the 3 miles total or included in them? Because then I'll kind of map out where I think they should be done (if I'm outside.)

So this week seems totally do-able because what possible excuse could there be for not running 2.5 miles at EA pace? And by Saturday I'll be a pro at it. My aim is to try not to be zippymama and really pay attention to hitting close to easy pace as written in the plan. The weather should help me out with that...also all the rust built up on these legs.

So now I probably need to rename my journal again. Chi-Half here I come! :)
PS I'm kind of super glad my first half had the luxury of character stops so the internal pressure was lower...its making the idea of a no-stop half race less daunting. And I'm excited that my hubby will be experiencing it with me (if not, like right next to me during the race.) So yay for that!
He has a tri-coach so I'm wondering if same guy will be making his half plan. Will be interesting to see where our plans are similar or different once he starts up. Fun stuff!

giphy.gif

During my 3 miles this Sunday when should I work my strides in and should I go by time or by distance travelled? Also are the strides on top of the 3 miles total or included in them? Because then I'll kind of map out where I think they should be done (if I'm outside.)

OK, so your guidance might be different than mine, but my instructions from Billy were:

"Strides are short bursts of speed that last no more than 10 seconds. They shouldn't be a sudden burst, but rather a controlled increase in speed (3 sec), maintain (4-5 sec), and then controlled decrease (3 sec). Do no less than 30 seconds of continuing the easy run until doing the next stride. The strides should be saved until the last mile of the easy day, or after the easy day is over and post a short stretch (I prefer within my easy run)."

So I always route my run so that my third mile is on a flatter stretch of my neighborhood. Then, I count, just like you do when you do strides during your warmups. Billy has me do five sets of strides in that last mile. I find the strides to be the most fun during any of my runs so far : )

Excited to see how this plan progresses!!! Good luck!

@FredtheDuck's got it right!

I'll add - keep in mind that the strides aren't intended to add extra fatigue. So the 30 second gap is a minimum. You're more than welcome to take 3 minutes if you wanted. I think the important part is that you should feel fully recovered from the prior stride (breathing wise and feeling of easiness to the run) before you even consider doing the next one. These are purely for neuromuscular benefits and a mental stimulus.

I love the smell of new thread title, don't you?

Yay for a fresh new training plan and congrats to your hubby for his successful tri!

Congrats to your hubs on the tri!!
Looking forward to following along with your new training plan! After my 10-mile race last month, I was feeling a bit slug-like for the 10 days or so that I took off, even though I did some yoga to offset the serious couch time hehe. I was feeling a bit lost without a plan as well, got to admit! @DopeyBadger quickly got me onto another one (phew!). I guess I also like to cross things off a list or spreadsheet and feel like I'm working toward something, whether that's 2 miles of easy A or looking longterm at a race or longer distance. :D
As for strides, I like to do them every minute...If I'm to do 3 miles at easy B + strides, I start them after I hit mile 2 on the next xx:00. I never asked if this was okay/correct, so the discussion above was very helpful, thanks guys!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter