RotR Planning & Daily Boarding Group Discussion - *CLOSED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is baffling/confusing/perplexing. I need a little help to understand this...
1) Prior posts suggest ROTR Boarding Groups are full by 8am or maybe 8:30am but lets assume 8am to be safe.
2) I somehow manage to get my morning adverse family of 5 to leave 6:15am at Kidani Village and make to DHS by 7am with a rope drop at 8am.
3) Park opens at 8am
3) My entire family must then go through a crowded gate and have their Magic Bands scanned and then somehow check get a boarding group on the app (and I anticipate glitches on the app since everyone is trying to do this at once) by 8am? Huh?
4) Rope drops at 8am but ROTR is already full by 8am. Best case in the above scenario I am booking my BG by 8:30am which might be too late?

That makes no sense so I assume that my family can get past the turnstile and into the front of the park (Hollywood Blvd area) by 7:30am or so even though the park doesn't open until 8am? We can get our ROTR BG at that point standing in ? That is the only thing that makes sense.

I appreciate some guidance. Thanks in advance.
The part you are missing is they've opened the park earlier than 8 every day since RotR. No real published early open time, but it's been in the neighborhood of 6-6:30.
Once the gate opens, the boarding groups are available to join moments later.

I'm just really glad we aren't going until September. Hopefully by then the ride will be running seamlessly. I don't mind getting up early to be places. I just need to prep my autistic teenager and convince my hubby that I know what I'm talking about. He thinks I'm crazy for watching these boards but he doesn't complain when his trips run almost perfectly.

Month view for December 2019 update on Disney website:

7am opening starting tomorrow through the 21st

EMHs on 15h and 22 only and are 2 hours in evening

View attachment 458131

They must be getting a screaming call from Chapek at 10pm every night, just making it up as he goes along. This does nothing. People were already getting up at 6 for your ride, why would you want them there earlier? What are you even supposed to do with 9-11 EMH if you've already been in the park since 5am? what's the point of riding everything before the sun comes up if you now have 12 hours and nothing left to do?

This is baffling/confusing/perplexing. I need a little help to understand this...
1) Prior posts suggest ROTR Boarding Groups are full by 8am or maybe 8:30am but lets assume 8am to be safe.
2) I somehow manage to get my morning adverse family of 5 to leave 6:15am at Kidani Village and make to DHS by 7am with a rope drop at 8am.
3) Park opens at 8am
3) My entire family must then go through a crowded gate and have their Magic Bands scanned and then somehow check get a boarding group on the app (and I anticipate glitches on the app since everyone is trying to do this at once) by 8am? Huh?
4) Rope drops at 8am but ROTR is already full by 8am. Best case in the above scenario I am booking my BG by 8:30am which might be too late?

That makes no sense so I assume that my family can get past the turnstile and into the front of the park (Hollywood Blvd area) by 7:30am or so even though the park doesn't open until 8am? We can get our ROTR BG at that point standing in ? That is the only thing that makes sense.

#3 is wrong. Yes, the published park opening has been 8 am, but the park has actually been opening at 6:30. And now, they are planning to start opening at 7 - which could possibly mean the park will open before 6:30 or possibly not until 7, no one knows for sure yet.

They must be getting a screaming call from Chapek at 10pm every night, just making it up as he goes along. This does nothing. People were already getting up at 6 for your ride, why would you want them there earlier? What are you even supposed to do with 9-11 EMH if you've already been in the park since 5am? what's the point of riding everything before the sun comes up if you now have 12 hours and nothing left to do?
This wouldn't be a Chapek decision its a Park Operations decision so Florida level execs.

It helps because the morning EMH proved to be a giant mess and a disadvantage to onsite guests when it came to ROTR. Changing to evening puts everyone on a level playing field in the morning, without eliminating EMH completely for the time being.

And there's nothing that says they can't decide to open ROTR during EMH eventually when they think it can handle it.
If that's the case then why didn't they just open the park at 8 like every other day?

go back to your resort and take a mid day nap :)

I am interested to see why the earlier opening - maybe just trying to get the actual gates opening time closer to posted time?

The morning EMH was a mess though so I think this at least avoids that issue by moving them to being evening EMHs

Looks like rain in the am tomorrow...being there early is going to be awful

Only bright side I can maybe see is the possibility of rain turning some people away. Too early to tell of course but tomorrow could end up being either an anomaly or a good base to see what happens when weather isn’t perfect.

Already texted my friend to let him know of the new opening though as I said I can’t tell him how this is going to impact how we tackle this ride.

Pleased about the evening EMH. I was kind of disappointed that my last full day of the Jan trip I was going to be done in the parks by 8 again. Now I can hop over to DHS from MK and squeeze in two more hours!

go back to your resort and take a mid day nap :)

I am interested to see why the earlier opening - maybe just trying to get the actual gates opening time closer to posted time?

The morning EMH was a mess though so I think this at least avoids that issue by moving them to being evening EMHs

That’s what I suspect. I’ve had a feeling they might try moving the park hours to be more in line with reality. Be interesting to see if this holds or changes again

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Why didn't they eliminate EMH at DHS all together?
There's no morning EMH anymore. The 7am time is for everyone, except the people that open the park at 5:30. So what benefit is there to have the park open earlier if all it's going to do is eat boarding passes earlier?

3) Park opens at 8am

The key point you are missing is that the park has been opening much earlier than the stated time of 8am. It’s been opening in the 6::30 am range for posted 8 am opening and boarding groups are immediately available once you are inside and usually last till around 8 am (little bit earlier today). So do just what you said only assume the park will be open well before the published time. Also don’t rely on Disney transportation if you can help it.

:offtopic:Slightly-I just hope, come March, they don't add MMRR into virtual passes. Eek, the crowds will be insane! :scared:

This is what I think we will see...maybe... :rolleyes1

Can we create a separate thread for people whining about having to wake up early?

Or how about a seperate thread for people whining about people whining about waking up early?

A week WDW is a marathon, with late nights combined with early mornings. Figuring out how to get your kids some sleep is an important part of managing the week as a parent.

There's no morning EMH anymore. The 7am time is for everyone, except the people that open the park at 5:30. So what benefit is there to have the park open earlier if all it's going to do is eat boarding passes earlier?

Oh, I get what you're asking.

I'm thinking they know they're likely to be forced by the number of people outside the tapstiles to open the parks at about the same time every day no matter what the posted time is. Remains to be seen if a 7 AM opening bumps the actual opening to 5:30 AM (and it sucks for the people who will have to be the guinea pigs to find out), but my guess is the 7 AM changes little in terms of arrival times and whatnot.

The adjustments to when it opens do nothing to change when people actually show up; if they did you would not have already had swelling crowds hours before official opening times that remained fixed at 8am for a while.

Basically everything Disney is doing, is reacting to what the crowds are doing, and are predicted to do. As word spreads how impressive the ride is, people who just happen to be visiting the parks now and probably visit Disney once a decade are going to go early in larger and larger numbers to make sure they see it. The extra number of people there for Christmas/New Years alone creates a large upcoming swell of early visitors that Disney can do nothing about, except adapt the parks to their arrival. They will show up at 6am or earlier to wait for a few (or more) hours for park open, because they really want to see the ride...

You could move the "official" DHS opening to 12 noon and I predict it would have just about zero impact on when people would actually show up, just increase the out of park crowd size before opening. Disney really does not like large crowds outside the park; there is no-where to spend money there.

I still think the EMH has a lot of value, as someone else said after you've gotten there at 5am, and rode ROTR on opening - spend another hour or two there then go back to the room and nap, return in the evening. It's awesome to enjoy the park before the bulk of crowds show up and then go back in the evening after lots of people have been leaving.

Oh, I get what you're asking.

I'm thinking they know they're likely to be forced by the number of people outside the tapstiles to open the parks at about the same time every day no matter what the posted time is. Remains to be seen if a 7 AM opening bumps the actual opening to 5:30 AM (and it sucks for the people who will have to be the guinea pigs to find out), but my guess is the 7 AM changes little in terms of arrival times and whatnot.

yeah, that is my thinking. Might push it a bit earlier (at least in near term) as people might just come a little earlier than they had planned when they see the earlier posted opening (so those that were planning to get there by 7 maybe now coming at 6:35, etc.) so maybe now they open the gates at 6:15 instead of 6:30 like it has been, but I don't think it moves it up a full hour ... but guess we shall see!

Just noticed on the WDW website calendar that HS will be open now at 7:00 AM starting tomorrow (Thursday, 12/12 thru 12/21). Do you think they'll open the park at 5:30 AM?
I never expect anything from Disney, I would still be at the park by 5am

3) Park opens at 8am

1 yes
2 If you really want to have a good chance of riding I would get to the park prior to 6am, better yet at 5am
3 Official park opening has not been implemented since opening day, the park has been opening hours before
4 Again, best to arrive before 6am to join a BG as soon as the tapstiles open
If you look at this thread you will see the actual opening times vs official opening times, also the times that BG were full for the day
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...tr-boarding-groups-are-full-tracking.3781557/
So now that the park is opening at 7, will the lot still be open at 5, or earlier??

Kind of dreading getting up basically in the middle of the night to attempt this the weekend before Christmas, but I’m determined to get on this ride! :rotfl2:
for opening day the lot opened at 4:30am. It could open earlier than thaat but I don't anticipate it, unless hours change for the park to open at 6am

Ok I'm heading down this Sunday and now with the gates opening at 7 AM, what time should I be at the gates?
I would be at the gates by 5am

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter