RotR Planning & Daily Boarding Group Discussion - *CLOSED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for everyone for taking time out of their vacation to update this thread. My wife, sister and I will be in DHS Wednesday afternoon (no expectations of ROTR then) and then we will be hitting DHS early Friday morning! I am hoping this week starts setting the standard for non EMH days and we can start seeing a pattern form.

Brian

We are staying at the riviera on December 21 so I am wondering how early does the skyliner start bringing people from that resort to Hollywood studios (transportation options are suppose to be one hour prior to park opening but is it posted opening or real opening ??

Phil, there would only be walk-ins during an unscheduled early park opening. Posters have been reporting CMs are directing guests to Oga’s and that Woody’s is also open in TSL.

Thanks - yeah, that is what I was thinking of, the "unschedule, prior to official park opening" time ... thinking likely would need some breakfast at that point anyway

We are staying at the riviera on December 21 so I am wondering how early does the skyliner start bringing people from that resort to Hollywood studios (transportation options are suppose to be one hour prior to park opening but is it posted opening or real opening ??
Good question. I think the intention was to have Skyliner operating before HS/Epcot park openings but after the incident in October they readjusted. Skyliner has not been opening early enough for an early rope drop at HS.

That could and probably will change, it's possible they were waiting for Riviera to open? Having that advantage from Riviera would help sell off the rest of the DVC 😉

Been following along all weekend. We’re here and our HS day is tomorrow. Looks like we won’t be riding ROTR. We bought the mid day tickets since we were keeping this trip non commando with my 78 year old mom with us and my autistic 17 year old nephew. My nephew can’t handle big crowds so even if we had regular tix no way could line up for rope drop. We were thinking with the park open until 9 that 9 hours would be plenty of time to wait Standby for those of us who were willing to wait a few hours, or get a DAS return time if they were offering them.

I understand the way WDW has handled this and think the VQ is a great idea but still disappointed that we have no chance to try it.

As for yesterday’s EMH, having ROTR not running when there were so many people in the park was a waste. And officially announcing 8am opening of VQ then opening it at 7:15 was really ****ty of them.

They could have said VQ would be available for a limited number of guests during EMH (as they enter) and then used VQ for just the number of EMH guests they could reasonably expect to accommodate in the 2 hours then shut it down. reopen for the day with the note that VQ would be available first come first served when the park opens to all guests and note that parks sometimes open early to accommodate crowds.

Did anyone arrive, with bags to check, around 6am this morning? I'd like to hear about that experience. I'm trying to balance the patience of my 1yo with my 9yo's strong desire to experience "Star Wars Land."

Also, when did Smugglers open today, and what was the wait like first thing?

So happy for those that got to ride today! It seems like this morning was much more orderly and fair than the EMH day based on reports.

I woke up and checked MDE out of curiosity and saw boarding groups around 8:20am which was nice for a change.

I think I may be getting up really early again tomorrow. 🤣

Phil, there would only be walk-ins during an unscheduled early park opening. Posters have been reporting CMs are directing guests to Oga’s and that Woody’s is also open in TSL.
Woody's wasn't open today until regular park opening 8a
Edited to add a CM told me it was open early CM was wrong

Last edited:
Thanks!

if the park is opening to guests at 6:30am for an official opening of 8 or 9, is Oga's open during those "bonus" hours? If so, are they letting in walkins? We have a 1:30pm Oga's (and an 11:20am Droid) but was curious about the breakfast options at Oga's so if we could do a quick stop in to try those during those extra hours that would be cool

I know for sure that Ogas and Droid Depot were open every morning they opened early, because I was wandering around them after the ride... I am pretty sure Savis was/is but I didn't get a light saber this time, maybe someone else can confirm. But they did say the "entire land" was open so that should include Savis.

It seems to me like Ogas often has morning walk-ins available even after official opening time as people prefer to go there after lunch. If you don't go there in the morning the food options they offer (Mustafar Roll and Morning Oats) are also at docking bay seven - but it's cooler to eat them at Ogas I think!

Here's a picture of what Dok Ondars looks like if you are near the front of the line walking in, waiting for a boarding group to open... from Saturday:

Yes thank you, this was sarcasm. I just think all the BG's filling in after 37 min. is not very encouraging. If EMH doesn't give on site folks an advantage because of how they are doing it, I would appreciate more tweaking. And how come on site guests would only get a 5 min. lead, when they are allowed into the park for an extra hour? I do agree that giving on site guests EMH every day would not be fair because no one else could get on, but they should have a couple days a week to give them the perk. Or, they should just eliminate the EMH altogether, just for this one park.
Furthermore, for any of us who booked all of our fastpasses and are now committed to an EMH day (let's face it, many on-site guests figured our best chance of getting on was to rope drop on an EMH day), we're now in a less-than-optimal situation. I actually had the same thought - in a way, I wish they'd just ditch the morning EMHs for a bit, it seems like they're more of a disadvantage than an advantage at DHS right now.

Ok, so I will be there with my son for a qucik trip this Friday and Saturday. I have been following this thread in preperation and it has been a great resource thanks so much to everyone contributing.

The main purpose of this trip was to see all of the Galaxy's Edge and maybe get a few rides in at MK and AK between my sons finals but before Christams crowds hit. The original plan was to drive as far I felt like thursday afternoon, get on property around lunch on Friday, then split the rest of the day between MK and AK saving all day Saturday for HS.

Im now thinking we will leave a little earlier on Thursday and arrive on property late Thursday (already added Thursday night to the reservation), then start both Friday and Saturday at HS and late afternoon head to another park. So my question is this, and if this belongs on another thread please move it, what should I do with fastpasses. My first thought is to rearrange and get them at HS in the late morning/early afternoon and then pick up what we can at the second park of the day. Im also thinking that getting an early start at HS may make Fastpasses not completely necessay and just set up what I can at MK or AK on the 2 afternoons. What are others thoughts? I understand that no matter what availability righ now will be very limited. Also we are very flexible as in I dont mind canceling a HS fastpass if our boarding group gets called.

Been following along all weekend. We’re here and our HS day is tomorrow. Looks like we won’t be riding ROTR. We bought the mid day tickets since we were keeping this trip non commando with my 78 year old mom with us and my autistic 17 year old nephew. My nephew can’t handle big crowds so even if we had regular tix no way could line up for rope drop. We were thinking with the park open until 9 that 9 hours would be plenty of time to wait Standby for those of us who were willing to wait a few hours, or get a DAS return time if they were offering them.

I understand the way WDW has handled this and think the VQ is a great idea but still disappointed that we have no chance to try it.

As for yesterday’s EMH, having ROTR not running when there were so many people in the park was a waste. And officially announcing 8am opening of VQ then opening it at 7:15 was really ****ty of them.

They could have said VQ would be available for a limited number of guests during EMH (as they enter) and then used VQ for just the number of EMH guests they could reasonably expect to accommodate in the 2 hours then shut it down. reopen for the day with the note that VQ would be available first come first served when the park opens to all guests and note that parks sometimes open early to accommodate crowds.
That's interesting. Being unable to ride RoR didn't cross my mind about "Mid-day Tickets".

Talk to GR, maybe you can turn one of those tickets into a full day by paying the difference? Or they may sweeten the pot for you? Talk to them and see what your options are.

Furthermore, for any of us who booked all of our fastpasses and are now committed to an EMH day (let's face it, many on-site guests figured our best chance of getting on was to rope drop on an EMH day), we're now in a less-than-optimal situation. I actually had the same thought - in a way, I wish they'd just ditch the morning EMHs for a bit, it seems like they're more of a disadvantage than an advantage at DHS right now.

I agree 100%. We are there next week and really don't want them to add EMH to our plans.

Maybe they should have two separate boarding groups; one for APs and locals and one for everyone else who won't be able to come back in a week and ride it again if they don't get on.

Anyone taking a look at the exit to see how big the boarding groups are? Maybe Disney's trying to ramp up capacity this week.

I agree 100%. We are there next week and really don't want them to add EMH to our plans.

They are not going to add any additional EMHs. It will just be the Sunday morning ones currently scheduled.

I will be interested to see how they go the rest of the month. I will be in Orlando the weekend before NYE and thinking about hitting DHS on Sunday before my 7pm flight. Was thinking about getting there by 5am but don't know if its worth it if I might still get a late BG.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter