• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rotation

4 mickey

4 MICKEY
Hi
If someone travels without a cell phone
I heard / read that rotation are not listed on our KTTW card no more
So bring having no phone how do you know your dinning rotation ?
Thanks

Someone in your group must have a cell phone as it is required to check in for muster drill, join virtual queues, communicate with guest services , etc.

You do pretty much need a phone for most things onboard but I guess there are people who don't have one. Guest service could tell you what your dining rotation

MJ

Someone in your group must have a cell phone as it is required to check in for muster drill, join virtual queues, communicate with guest services , etc.

communicate with guest service can’t we call no more ?
or go directly at guest service

what if one doesn’t have a phone ? I don’t see people going off to buy a phone for their cruise

i am all for changes but this is a bit off for me
what I loved about Disney cruising was exactly not having any phone use ( wdw you are now scotch on your phone
I don’t plan on bringing no phone on my cruise

You do pretty much need a phone for most things onboard but I guess there are people who don't have one. Guest service could tell you what your dining rotation

MJ

what i used to love about cruising was exactly not having to use a phone
not being on a phone most of my cruise
i am all for changes but I dont really like that specific change

cant we call guest service no more or go directly to guest service ?

You can go directly to guest services. They want you to make an appointment, but they never seem to care if you just show up. The one time I tried to make an appointment first, they told me not to bother.

This question is for those that have been sailing other lines as well: is there a push to use phones as well to navigate activities while aboard?

This question is for those that have been sailing other lines as well: is there a push to use phones as well to navigate activities while aboard?
Yes, other lines are trying to get us to use phones more onboard. At least Princess and HAL do.

what if one doesn’t have a phone ? I don’t see people going off to buy a phone for their cruise
Does anyone you know have an old device you can borrow? Maybe a relative, friend, neighbor, someone at church? It doesn't have to be connected to a cell phone plan, so someone's old discard is fine. It just needs to have wifi capability, which will be free onboard to use the DCL app.

Royal Caribbean is also pushing the phones. I loved the Navigators but it's nice to not have to find a way to carry around the navigator. You could keep track of your plans and have reminders set. Another nice feature is the ability to chat with your party. There are 4 people in our party and there were only 2 wave phones. Now we can all find one another and meet up easily.

The good thing is that you are still unplugged from the world. I don't buy wifi so basically my phone is just for photos and the DCL app.

Royal Caribbean is also pushing the phones. I loved the Navigators but it's nice to not have to find a way to carry around the navigator. You could keep track of your plans and have reminders set. Another nice feature is the ability to chat with your party. There are 4 people in our party and there were only 2 wave phones. Now we can all find one another and meet up easily.

The good thing is that you are still unplugged from the world. I don't buy wifi so basically my phone is just for photos and the DCL app.

Yeah, but the navigator was nice to keep as a souvenir and, at least for me, it was much better organized than the app. I have trouble seeing what's happening when and where with the app. The messaging is nice, but you don't get a notification your phone isn't focusing on the app, so I always miss messages when they're still relevant.

I guess, overall, I wouldn't mind using the app if 1) it worked properly, 2) it was designed better, and 3) I could still get paper navigators.

the navigator was nice to keep as a souvenir and, at least for me, it was much better organized than the app
Agree.

Since we tend to take long trips, having the paper navigator is essential when I'm putting together my scrapbooks later.

Wish they would have the option.

Yeah, but the navigator was nice to keep as a souvenir and, at least for me, it was much better organized than the app. I have trouble seeing what's happening when and where with the app. The messaging is nice, but you don't get a notification your phone isn't focusing on the app, so I always miss messages when they're still relevant.

I guess, overall, I wouldn't mind using the app if 1) it worked properly, 2) it was designed better, and 3) I could still get paper navigators.

I am one of those crazy people that have all the paper navigators from my cruise. I did like to look at them in bed the night before and I took them home as a memory.

Do they offer paper navigators at all anymore? My kids love stuff like this, they’ll read and read and re-read to see what they want to do. Kind of a bummer if there is really no option for them to have this anymore since they’re not allowed to use our phones usually. Even if we let them it’s not the same, they're the types that would carry the paper in their pocket and reference throughout the day.

Do they offer paper navigators at all anymore? My kids love stuff like this, they’ll read and read and re-read to see what they want to do. Kind of a bummer if there is really no option for them to have this anymore since they’re not allowed to use our phones usually. Even if we let them it’s not the same, they're the types that would carry the paper in their pocket and reference throughout the day.
No, my understanding is they don't have paper navigators anymore. Some say crew members say they are gone forever.
I don't have a read on that, but considering how little they cost to print, if enough passengers complain on the comment cards, not sure forever is forever.

I think this is an off shoot of the pandemic. I cruised on Celebrity in October 2019 right before cruises shut down and they still did everything on paper.

I found the Navigator app hard to use. Maybe it was intuitive to many people, but I was always searching to find what I wanted. And there were days when it wasn't working because I had somehow disconnected from DCL-GUEST, then couldn't get back on. They had to reset my wifi and re-initialize my Navigator app, which meant I lost my texting contacts that weren't in my room.

Also, you can only use it on one device without it resetting. I set up my phone, thinking that was my primary, but I wanted it on my ipad, as well, so I could see it better (but I'm not carrying my ipad around the ship). When I signed in on the ipad, it signed out of the phone and reset everything. Then, I signed in on the phone and it reset everything on the ipad again. I just gave up, used the phone and squinted.

I missed being able to see everything on one page on the old paper navigator. And I missed things I would have done if I'd had a paper copy.

So you can't even request the paper ones anymore? I know the two times we sailed in 2019, obviously pre-Covid, they were pushing to use the ap, but we were able to request the paper Navigators. It sounds like that is not an option?

In 2019 using iMessage was more reliable than the ship messaging system. I'm hoping, considering the reports on the app, that it still is so we can communicate with each other, but especially our Tween.

I think this is an off shoot of the pandemic. I cruised on Celebrity in October 2019 right before cruises shut down and they still did everything on paper.

It's probably dependent on if a ship has been revolutionized or is Edge-class. On the Edge in Feb 2020 (which was really right before cruising shut down), everything was on the Celebrity app. As each ship is revolutionized, the paper will go away in favor of the app.

So you can't even request the paper ones anymore? I know the two times we sailed in 2019, obviously pre-Covid, they were pushing to use the ap, but we were able to request the paper Navigators. It sounds like that is not an option?

In 2019 using iMessage was more reliable than the ship messaging system. I'm hoping, considering the reports on the app, that it still is so we can communicate with each other, but especially our Tween.

I'd get WhatsApp just in case. The iMessage thing can be glitchy but WhatsApp seems to work the most consistently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter